Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Thread: Retro hack idea

Sponsored Links

Question Retro hack idea

Sponsored Links
    Hi all i'm not a hacker but i have succesfully hacked most of my consoles etc following other ppl's wisdom and i've only had my ps3 playing copy ps2 games by physically swapping discs.

So i was wondering if it would be possible to do an oldskool ps2 hack when all the .ELF and .SELF files etc are on the ps2 mem card and you create a boot disc using a ps1 disc.

so basically have your .ELF .SELF .SMBOOT files in the games utility folder or in the ps2 mem card folder and then use a ps1 or ps2 game to boot up cogswap or swap magic from the game data or mem card utility folders?? but this leaves the problem without having a key to get the disc out so i thought maybe you could disconect the ps3's HDD hit eject bang in the backup disc then plug the HDD back in. maybe this can work on cogswap ??

just a thought

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I'm not sure you could get the "exploit" past the hypervisor... I believe there is (was?) a way to boot PS2 games using SwapMagic and an external HDD, but the limitations were that the driver for loading PS2 games was USB 1.1.

Someone please correct any misinformation there may be in my statement, this is all off the top of my head.

Sponsored Links

According to what i know

Sponsored Links
    But i might be wrong and i did not try it has been possible to boot PS2 games only with swap magic, and a hardware modification that allowed to manually control the disc ejection and disable the insertion disc sensor.

It worked only with ps3 having the PS2 compatibility and it does not work with ps3 backup.

I also have swap magic 3.8 but I don't use it because its too much of a hassle.. just to play a game...

I want to launch it right from the xmb.. but than again, I guess we all do!

Agreed, swap magic really sucks in terms of usability...

Ah the day we can boot back ups from xmb, same day I get a gf...

i wouldn't mind a swap magic disc but they're super hard to find, but like back when i was playing copies on my ps2 i made a boot disc with the original ps1 smack down 2 game and that acted like swap magic and booted up the EBOOT file from mem card then it was a case of tap L1 to cogswap, X to launch swapmagic etc

but it would be cool if this method were to work again

i've still got all the required files on mem card so i put them in the ps3's ps2 save data utility put smackdown 2 in and it just loaded up smackdown 2 lol

On the PS3 the PS1/2 memory cards are emulated, so I think it would be pretty unlikely for them to also emulate the old PS2 exploit.

Also, wasn't this exploit fixed in later revisions of the PS2 (maybe PS2 Slim)?

Anyway, I don't want to say it's not possible because there's always a chance something exists, but I'm willing to bet that any of the well-known exploits are secured.

Quote Originally Posted by Transient View Post
    On the PS3 the PS1/2 memory cards are emulated, so I think it would be pretty unlikely for them to also emulate the old PS2 exploit.
    Although the mc´s are emulated, if the exploit still worked, it probably would have still worked. at least for ps3s with the EE chip. The exploit was put on the mc but it wasn´t the mc that was being exploited
    Also, wasn't this exploit fixed in later revisions of the PS2 (maybe PS2 Slim)?
    Exactly. The Independance exploit, took advantage of a loophole in the PS1DRV module from the ps2 bios. Newer versions had an updated module which prevented the expoit. So, since it was already fixed on the ps2, it wasn´t very likely it would work on the ps3.
    Anyway, I don't want to say it's not possible because there's always a chance something exists, but I'm willing to bet that any of the well-known exploits are secured.
    Well actually the Independence exploit is impossible because the PS1DRV was removed from the ps2 bios on the ps3. Your also right about all the other exploits being secured.

It is possible that there could be some new exploit since we´re dealing with a different ps2bios ps2mode will run unsigned code. But then there´s always the problem of getting into ps2mode which requires a ps2 disc

Sponsored Links
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News