Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Questions on requirements of owning a PS3 Test

Sponsored Links
    Hello!

I'm looking at getting a PS3 Test unit so I can begin to program games for it, and I've heard from others at school that it needs an active connection to the internet in order for it to work (I can't find any data to confirm or deny this claim).

The question here is, to someone who doesn't know about the PS3 Test's inner workings, what does one need to know about how a PS3 Test works, other than what's on the FAQ?

- Is an active internet connection needed?
    - Does said connection transmit data about the console to Sony?
    - Can / should the hard drive be wiped from the system menu upon reciept?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

Lightbulb

Sponsored Links
    Welcome. Here is a good place to start ...

http://www.ps3news.com/forums/ps3-de...um-106396.html

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by me0262 View Post
    - Is an active internet connection needed?
    No
    - Does said connection transmit data about the console to Sony?
    No. Well, maybe. If you connect to the development PSN then all bets are off. I have no doubt that your IP will be logged, although as test kits often get in the hands of journalists, etc, they might not. I certainly wouldn't connect a test kit to retail PSN because I expect the firmware version and retail/debug flag to be transmitted to PSN and I don't want my regular PSN account which is tied to my address and credit card details to be linked to a test kit.

Also, don't forget about the RSS feed. I've not noticed that on a test kit, but that doesn't mean it still doesn't contact the server.
    - Can / should the hard drive be wiped from the system menu upon reciept?
    Yes, no problem doing that. There's no requirement to do so though, in fact you might even find something interesting on there!

Here is another good place to look it will hopefully answer some of your questions:

http://www.ps3news.com/forums/ps3-de...aq-106813.html

Thanks for the info tragedy!

I talked a bit more to the person at the school, and the unit in question is the DECR-1000.

That's a PS3 Tool, which is better than a test but more difficult to use.

Yeah, I got that from the FAQ.

So how is the TOOL more difficult? Does that one require the need to be online in order to work?

Yeah, I got that from the FAQ.

So how is the TOOL more difficult? Does that one require the need to be online in order to work?
    Well, to be honest - it isn't more difficult to use. It is more difficult to fit on a desk though!

Its pretty much a giant PS3 TEST, that is much louder, and uses more electricity. Furthermore, the updates are a bit harder to get a hold of as TEST updates will not work on it. But no, it does not need to be online in order to work.

The DECR1000 dev kit is also very expensive, so I doubt you'll get one cheaply. I think the rate for legitimate developers is about $10,000. The price of a DECH test kit is about $800.

Quote Originally Posted by tragedy View Post
    The DECR1000 dev kit is also very expensive, so I doubt you'll get one cheaply. I think the rate for legitimate developers is about $10,000. The price of a DECH test kit is about $800.
    just the decr-1400 which is smaller and less capable than the decr-1000 cost $2000.00

Sponsored Links

Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News