Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    1. A bigger internal hard drive is better. You get more compatibility due to the filesystem used by the PS3 for the internal drive being capable of handling files over 4Gb in size, which the external hard drive's filesystem can't handle. So if a game has a file of over 4Gb, it won't be able to back it up correctly ONLY on an external hard drive. The reason why it 'WAS' a problem specific to downloaded games was the simple fact that we didn't had some software/homebrew capable of reading, writing, transferring to the internal HDD. CJPC just released an FTP server homebrew that let us access the hard disk drive from our PC. This essentially means we can now directly transfer a downloaded game from our PC right into the internal hard drive of the PS3.

2. You don't need to have an external hard drive, but most of them have more storage. So you chose between a little bit more compatibility or being able to put more backups on the same drive. The max storage you can get in an internal 2.5 inch HDD is 500Gb, which is around 30 games. It's alot in my opinion.

3. If backups on optical discs are supported someday (which I think will come REALLY soon if someone decides to add filesystems support), you will probably be able to burn some few games on DVD+/-DL.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Thanks, I guess I had read about this before the FTP homebrew was released.

The 500gb internal is something you have to add yourself right? It seems like the most you can get already installed is 250gb.
    That should really be plenty for me, as I already have a 360 so I will just be getting PS3 exclusives. I also have a few HD's lying around as I just upgraded my computer HD, I am keeping backups on the old ones but can easily consolidate and clear one of them if need be.

Thanks so much for your help!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    hey guys, big newbie here!

once you jailbreak your ps3 with a TI84+ calc or anything, can you still revert back to ur old ps3 before u jailbroke it?

Is there a way to revert back? and once you do, will sony still be able to find out u did this before and ban you from PSN?

From what i've seen, it seems like the devices used to jailbreak the ps3 doesnt really mess with the software completely... if you delete backupmanager on ur ps3 ... will that turn your ps3 back on the "legit" path?

THXX

Yes and no. The Jailbreak doesn't actually stay resident on your system, i.e. after you remove it and restart your system, your PS3 is the same as it was before. What changes your system is what you install on it. Backup Manager and other apps, even after you delete them, stay within the system log. Unless you either change the ID of the backup manager or somehow edit/delete this log file, the file will be sent when you log into PSN, and your system could potentially be banned.

TI84+ jb gets me confused. Some say the backup mgr only allows you to back-up but not play from the back-up. Then I hear others say it does allow to play from back- up.

So, was it orig unable to play from back-up and now has the backup mgr been upgraded to allow play?

And one more question, I have a couple wd 250 sata scorpio laptop drives still packaged.. would this be usable inside a ps3? What version of ps3 would I need to buy- slim or fat?

I'm like so close to going to BB and getting one, which hopefully will have a 3.41 fw.

Quote Originally Posted by JAxXBOSS View Post
    I have a couple wd 250 sata scorpio laptop drives still packaged.. would this be usable inside a ps3? What version of ps3 would I need to buy- slim or fat?
    You should be able to use them, just do the normal PS3 drive upgrade process.
    Quote Originally Posted by daveribz View Post
    The max storage you can get in an internal 2.5 inch HDD is 500Gb, which is around 30 games. It's alot in my opinion.
    There are 1TB 2.5" HDD's available from a few vendors now, although I haven't tested them in a PS3. The biggest drive I tested was an external 750GB I hooked up to the internal SATA port.
    Last edited by bytre; 09-09-2010 at 07:31 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

This 3.42 firmware reminds me of the PSP scene. That is, now, if we can make a way of downgrading to 3.41, everyone will have the choice to install PSGroove in their consoles. I know that some time ago that was done with the Infectus chip and also that a way was found to make it without any previous dump.

Has anyone any info about this?

Quote Originally Posted by JAxXBOSS View Post
    TI84+ jb gets me confused. Some say the backup mgr only allows you to back-up but not play from the back-up. Then I hear others say it does allow to play from back- up.

So, was it orig unable to play from back-up and now has the backup mgr been upgraded to allow play?

And one more question, I have a couple wd 250 sata scorpio laptop drives still packaged.. would this be usable inside a ps3? What version of ps3 would I need to buy- slim or fat?

I'm like so close to going to BB and getting one, which hopefully will have a 3.41 fw.
    1. original jb allowed to use backupmananger, and when they released psgroove they removed that function to use backup mananger as they dont support "piracy". but the psgroove was edited shortly after it was released by some other hacker to enable backupmananger use again, dunno about all the ports but i guess they used the "fixed" psgroove code to enable it.

2. doesen matter u can change drive in both, 2.5" disc of course.

imo as long as it isnt all fresh from sony to the store it shouldent be any problem, i doubt the reseller updates the fw and it has only been out for like 3days approx.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScuMM View Post
    This 3.42 firmware reminds me of the PSP scene. That is, now, if we can make a way of downgrading to 3.41, everyone will have the choice to install PSGroove in their consoles. I know that some time ago that was done with the Infectus chip and also that a way was found to make it without any previous dump.
    think i read somewhere that it won't work on "newer" models, something about chip change or similar, the infectus that is.
    Last edited by EiKii; 09-09-2010 at 07:52 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Yeah, now that I think of it, I agree. The thing is that many people will inadvertidly upgrade the firmware. Also for getting the option to run Linux again. To my mind, the coming of PSjailbreak/PSgroove to the scene will shake the things a bit. Probably will put some more groups working and tinkering...

Is it possible to load games from usb flash drive (stick) or it has to be an external/internal hdd ?

Sponsored Links
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News