Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by daveribz View Post
    I'm not quite sure.. From what I understand, unsigned code is only ran in 'game' or 'user' mode and we're limited in what can be achieved through this mode. Updates and other core stuff requires higher privileges. It's like the PSP: we couldn't do much with user mode exploits, kernel exploits were needed to flash custom firmwares.
    What's neat to consider here though is, even though the PKGs are ran in game/user mode, it essentially puts our foot in the door, possibly allowing us to elevate privileges. With Geo's exploit, we were only able to "peek" at privileged HW functions, and not necessarily modify them in any useful way. For a simpler explanation, think of it like this:

With Geo's exploit, we're bank robbers standing in front of a teller telling them to give us the money. We still have to rely on the teller to retrieve the money, and they could easily be pushing the silent alarm button while we wait. We only have access to limited funds.

With the Jailbreak, we're in the bank after hours, at the vault door. While we're not technically "in the money" yet, we're close enough now where we can start to work our way through the door and have access to almost unlimited funds. As we're not having to deal with a middle man of sorts, we can throw everything at the door until the hinges finally break.

The ultimate goal? To get ahold of the bank manager's code (the systems's encryption keys) and voila, we're rich, biatch! While this last step may still prove to be nigh impossible, our chances of running exploits as unsigned code and elevating our privileges to "bank manager" status are greater than just poking at the memory registers or gleaming data from the SPEs.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    It can run unsigned code and it makes all debug options available AND functional (install pkg file will only work on REAL debug/test PS3's, not on pseudo hybrid retail-debug consoles).
    Hi,

That has always been a false belief, but popular, Install package worked perfectly on retail hybrid pseudo-debug consoles, I assure you I had occasion to check on several units and save images from a couple of years ago that I show to see if you like, note also that I could install pkg retail, also other functions were also fully operational as bd_emu format, change button, region seting, free HDD space, free space fake, check game column, etc.It was my own experience, real time later when I debug I could see that actually worked a few options.
    Attached Images<br><br> Attached Images

Last edited by randalf; 08-23-2010 at 10:38 PM Reason: Add pics

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by tripellex View Post
    What's neat to consider here though is, even though the PKGs are ran in game/user mode, it essentially puts our foot in the door, possibly allowing us to elevate privileges. With Geo's exploit, we were only able to "peek" at privileged HW functions, and not necessarily modify them in any useful way. For a simpler explanation, think of it like this:

With Geo's exploit, we're bank robbers standing in front of a teller telling them to give us the money. We still have to rely on the teller to retrieve the money, and they could easily be pushing the silent alarm button while we wait. We only have access to limited funds.

With the Jailbreak, we're in the bank after hours, at the vault door. While we're not technically "in the money" yet, we're close enough now where we can start to work our way through the door and have access to almost unlimited funds. As we're not having to deal with a middle man of sorts, we can throw everything at the door until the hinges finally break.

The ultimate goal? To get ahold of the bank manager's code (the systems's encryption keys) and voila, we're rich, biatch! While this last step may still prove to be nigh impossible, our chances of running exploits as unsigned code and elevating our privileges to "bank manager" status are greater than just poking at the memory registers or gleaming data from the SPEs.
    lmao, looks like you should stop focusing on money for a bit

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by sk group View Post
    lmao, looks like you should stop focusing on money for a bit
    lol but I like money

I'm hoping for a clone that will work on FW 3.15. If this thing does not allow Custom FW then I think there is still value in having OtherOS.

Quote Originally Posted by dinzy View Post
    I'm hoping for a clone that will work on FW 3.15. If this thing does not allow Custom FW then I think there is still value in having OtherOS.
    As mentioned earlier in this thread you would realize that the ability to run unsigned code will eventually give you custom firmware as we can now install custom .pkg files (ultimately giving us access to all of the functions of the ps3, givin a good homebrew app you could probably do it yourself).... it is believed to be a sony service jig in theory it should work on any firmware under 3.41 because you know that sony is going to change it up for the next firmware update(probably only a day or two off)

I wouldn't realize anything until I see it 100% confirmed. Has anyone actually demonstrated unsigned code? And if so how does that guarantee custom firmware? This device requires 3.41 firmware to run, meaning it might run after the 3.41 FW boots.

If it is a true Sony Jig, they may make it so each FW has a counterpart Jig FW, rendering this jig only useable with SOny signed 3.41 firmware.

It can run unsigned code and it makes all debug options available AND functional
    go back and watch all the videos now available online, do you see any of the options in the XMB that debug units have?

the answer is no. it can run unsigned code yeah but it doesnt convert units to debug out of the box, most likely a debug firmware will have to be flashed first.

Thumbs Up

I have made a schematic with your details. Someone can put off the for confirme connections under it?

Arrow

Please use the new thread here to resume discussion guys: http://www.ps3news.com/forums/ps3-ha...te-112195.html

Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News