Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Karl69 View Post
    With all due respect, but why do you guys think that this MCU can be easily dumped? Today even MCUs which are not meant to be used on smartcards have some kind of minimum requirements on the security which make them quite hard to hack using homemade stuff like glitchers.

IMHO there are three possibilities why there are clones coming up:
    • The dump of the jigstick has been sold to different parties by the original hacker.
    • The PS Jailbreak Team is selling the lower priced clones because in some parts of the world, 140$ or 110 Euro is way too much for the average.
    • The PS Jailbreak stick has been dumped in a specialized lab and some other team wants to jump on the bandwagon.
    lol @point 3

if any one can get access to the data then Chris Tarnovsky can
    http://hackedgadgets.com/2008/06/03/smart-card-hacking/

Quote Originally Posted by albo1882 View Post
    are the clones even worth getting? and if so whats the point?

Sony is already starting to ban the psn's of jailbroken ps3s.
    Where have you seen this. Want to see proof of psn's getting banned? It was stated earlier that bans were possible and that they might be coming.

Yeah, a MANolo posted this before in this very forum, but any proof has surfaced yet.

So just especulation for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by Osirisx View Post
    if any one can get access to the data then Chris Tarnovsky can
    http://hackedgadgets.com/2008/06/03/smart-card-hacking/
    Well that's exactly the "lab" I was thinking about...

Registered User WtfAreUthinking's Avatar
    Honestly I dont see what the big deal is about getting banned from the Psn, Except for losing stuff you purchased online, Besides that if you can run unsigned code I am sure that the Console Id is contained in the "Flash", So I am sure someone will just write some program as a console id spoofer.

Spoofing the Console Id before could not be done b/c sony uses SSL and TLS Encryption when logging into the PSN.

there is way to much speculation regarding what sony "are/will/could" be doing to users who use this device. the same thing goes for how the device opperates. one thing is for sure you wont be able convert a standard flash drive to be come a PSJB device.

unless people have any thing productive to offer the community, it might be best to just wait unil the devices are in the publics hands.

End of.

There is some special downgrade packages for debug and test units. Since the dongle turns the PS3 into a fully functional debug mode, is it possible to use the downgrade packages to, well, downgrade the firmware and/or fully convert a retail unit into a debug unit?

Quote Originally Posted by daveribz View Post
    Since the dongle turns the PS3 into a fully functional debug mode, is it possible to use the downgrade packages to, well, downgrade the firmware and/or fully convert a retail unit into a debug unit?
    thats the thing the dongle does not turn the ps3 into a fully functional debug mode ps3 from what we have seen so far, we will have to wait till dongles are more readily available and lots of tests and RE is done to see what the possibilitys are.

Would it not be possible to make a downgrade firmware work since it doesn't have to be signed though.

It can run unsigned code and it makes all debug options available AND functional (install pkg file will only work on REAL debug/test PS3's, not on pseudo hybrid retail-debug consoles). I'm pretty sure, even if it's not confirmed yet (I think), that the dongle was used in retail consoles and not debugs, or else it would be pretty useless for most of us as there was already a way of running backups on these units, although it required more effort than with the dongle.
    Quote Originally Posted by whinis View Post
    Would it not be possible to make a downgrade firmware work since it doesn't have to be signed though.
    I'm not quite sure.. From what I understand, unsigned code is only ran in 'game' or 'user' mode and we're limited in what can be achieved through this mode. Updates and other core stuff requires higher privileges. It's like the PSP: we couldn't do much with user mode exploits, kernel exploits were needed to flash custom firmwares.
    Last edited by daveribz; 08-23-2010 at 04:34 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast