Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by tripellex View Post
    Here's a question for the more techno-oriented members:

If the dongle is just handshaking its hardware ID to the system at startup, would it be possible to create a serial-to-USB cable from the PC to the PS3 and have it pulse the HW ID right as the system starts up to accomplish the same thing (I assume because of the presence of the oscillator, that it sends it as a pulse. Correct me if I'm wrong).
    Read my mind, was thinking the same thing, USB RS232 cables are already out there (used a lot in flashing FTA Sat boxes.) would just have to code the software pc side to push the info to the ps3. Problem would be the lag of the pc seeing the ps3 intime to send the code as you have to cold boot the ps3 and you have a short time to inject the code.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by barbnjason View Post
    Read my mind, was thinking the same thing, USB RS232 cables are already out there (used a lot in flashing FTA Sat boxes.) would just have to code the software pc side to push the info to the ps3. Problem would be the lag of the pc seeing the ps3 intime to send the code as you have to cold boot the ps3 and you have a short time to inject the code.
    Not sure what the crystal frequency is on the Jailbreak's oscillator, but it'd be funny if the HW ID is pulsed at exactly 40ns

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Its going to be more than just a Hardware ID == boot debug. At the very least on that little dongle of their's there is an XML file that describes the 2 new additions to the XMB. As far as I know, its not included in the official retail firmwares.

Quote Originally Posted by hacked2123 View Post
    Its going to be more than just a Hardware ID == boot debug. At the very least on that little dongle of their's there is an XML file that describes the 2 new additions to the XMB. As far as I know, its not included in the official retail firmwares.
    I can't imagine it being much more then that, what with only 256 bytes of EEPROM.

If it's indeed a 18Fxx50 family PIC then it has a lot of internal flash memory.
    18F4550 has 32k and sports self writing too.

Dumping it is out of the question as it's a pretty safe chip but sniffing it is surely possible and should be enough.

are the clones even worth getting? and if so whats the point?

Sony is already starting to ban the psn's of jailbroken ps3s.

With all due respect, but why do you guys think that this MCU can be easily dumped? Today even MCUs which are not meant to be used on smartcards have some kind of minimum requirements on the security which make them quite hard to hack using homemade stuff like glitchers.

IMHO there are three possibilities why there are clones coming up:
    • The dump of the jigstick has been sold to different parties by the original hacker.
    • The PS Jailbreak Team is selling the lower priced clones because in some parts of the world, 140$ or 110 Euro is way too much for the average.
    • The PS Jailbreak stick has been dumped in a specialized lab and some other team wants to jump on the bandwagon.

way to shatter my hopes of a home copying job lol

Quote Originally Posted by caesarc View Post
    Dumping it is out of the question as it's a pretty safe chip but sniffing it is surely possible and should be enough.
    Probably not... If Sony made their homework, then there's probably some kind of cryptographic challenge/response authentication which the PS Jailbreak stick is emulating using keys dumped out of a JIG stick.

Typically the PS3 would send encrypted random data to the stick and wait for the stick to respond to that challenge with the decrypted random data.

So sniffing won't help at all, since the response would be different at each challenge. Sorry to rain on your parade...
    Last edited by Karl69; 08-23-2010 at 06:58 AM

I don't know if its just me, but i'm quite excited at the possibility of say, reproducing the chip's functions on say the psp, which can plug directly into the ps3. In my mind it seems like the highest potential for a free version of this. ofcourse the catch is, that you'd have to have a psp. but the price of the original psj is nearly the price of a psp anyway :s lol

Sponsored Links
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News