Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I actually agree with SwordOfWar. I'm constantly seeing people bashing the PSJailbreak team but everything that has been developed so far stems from their original hack. We should be a little more grateful for their work.

Personally, I look forward to anything that comes from this team as we all know it will be reverse engineered and eventually make its way into the open source community.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Can we really say it is their work? If i am not mistaking, the "jailbreak" we have is simply Sony's USB jig, right? (by the way, couldn't there be an Ethernet jig? or a SD jig? Just wondering...)

They were able to mass-reproduce it, but that's all. They just got the piece of hardware we were all looking for and reverse-engineered it, am I right?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Yea i'm pretty sure its 'their' work. my understanding is that Math's team did the reverse-engineering of PSJailbreak's jig.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Don't give the PSJailbreak team too much credit. It's Sony's Jig module and Geohot's linux exploit that led to this hack. I give them credit for being the first to do it, but I have no doubt that it would have happened anyway.

I brought an original ps jailbreak and man on man do i hope it works on 3.42 and 3.50... I really want to get back on psn and redownload everything i've brought.

Then if it is their work, what are we talking about? A team has found an exploit in the USB module of the PS3 and is now selling it worldwide. Ok. That exploit is the same used by Sony (therefore, not an exploit, but a backdoor) in repair centers. Huh?... Strange.

I'm not bashing or anything like, I'm just trying to understand who did what with what (or whose...) hardware. I'm pretty sure I heard on this very site that they got their hands on Sony's jig and then reversed the method, but as I have no thread to link to, I can accept (and agree ^^ ) that I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by bitsbubba View Post
    does this now emulate a official licensed USB (all others removed in 3.50
    You're a bit mixed up here ... Sony removed mainly support for UNLICENSED 3rd party controllers - not ALL USB devices as clearly USB Flash drives or hard drive and so on still works and indeed it blocked the exploit in it's current state.

They stole some keys, so they could do this but it could be a fake.

The rumored 3.42 / 3.50 "support" might be also just support for PLAYING games requiring FW higher than 3.41 or some kind of patching 3.41 firmware PRIOR it's update to allow it still to be JB-en hence however is already on 3.42 or 3.50 might be still out of game anyway ...

Banned User
    Wonderkik: That was a common misconception when rumours of jailbreak first came out, but it is since proved to be a proper hack.

It just uses the power and eject start sequence to initiate, also it uses the sony jig ID during exploit but this is not anywhere near a real sony jig, This works pretty much like an old school psp buffer overflow exploit, put simply it confuses ps3 into writing to an area of memory it not meant to allowing an xml to be patched along with a few hyperviser patches to stop ps3 panicing.

Anyway aside from that I really think these guys haven't got half the credit they deserve, I find it extremely hard to believe that that some random new hacker/team popped up with this as a first piece of work on the scene. I see it being much more likely that either:
    • It's a sony leak, an employee who knows ps3 inside out and has tried to cash in (Why not, I probably would in that position!)
    • It's an already well known dev or group possibly from psp or 360 scene, but they are staying quiet due to inevitable backlash for not releasing it for free and legal problems (I'm thinking BIG well known name if this is the case, I have no problem with them charging really, their time and they can charge for it whenever the want)
    • It was something to do with geohot as he dumped the hardware and might have seen this bug in code somehow. he seemed to be making headway on ps3 very quickly and even said he could make a 3.21 that would retain otherOS, not really a guy to talk crap either, then he just stoppped. maybe he sold his discovery to a thirdparty (so Jailbreak name is maybe not just a coincidence!)
    • Possibly There was just a lot of money and people thrown at the problem by a big company, enough paid devs working on a console for months would probably find a hole!

To me it seems impossible for this to be developed slowly from scratch by a unknown dev or devs as the amount of trial and error involved to get the hack to this stage would be ridiculus especially when the dev would have no way of knowing if each step was successful unless all steps succeeded.

I would be very suprised is this story turns out to be true about 3.42 - 3.50, jailbreak team are good but I doubt they are that good! I still hope its true though, maybe original jailbreak devs did discover more exploits and they only released this one!

Sponsored Links

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News