Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Lightbulb

Sponsored Links
    Of course this backup manager should be trivially detectable - if it dumps a load of stuff in /dev_hdd0/game/LAUN12345. Sony simply need to detect for the presence of that directory and they know the backup manager has been run.

Sponsored Links

Question

Sponsored Links
    OK, so what happens when a big game is released, say GT5, surely sony will ensure these new games only run on the newest firmware therefore forcing you to upgrade your firmware before playing the latest games, wouldn't that just kill this thing off instantly??

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Pardon a repeat or my ignorance - but in essense, what would be the optimal solution is to have a mod chip with the backup manager saved on the dongle and that the dongle have a backup of the system log which will be restored after the modchip is removed when you want to go online.

Would it be possible to remove all traces of the use of the modchip to prevent detection by $ony? So a system restore not reflecting in any system log is the only way not to get banned?

This might then mean that the whole process must be repeated every time you want to play backed up games?

This could only be possible with CFW?

Quote Originally Posted by chomps268
    Nah, you can't delete the manager from what I understand.
    Yes, you can delete the backup manager. Stop bsing. The backup manager lets you delete installed games and if you want to delete the backup manager just delete it like you would a retail demo or something.

The Backup Manager is a .PKG file and you can even delete it as well. If you can delete it on a debug/dev unit, you can also delete it on a retail unit.
    Quote Originally Posted by tripellex View Post
    Doubtful, as the information is still retained in the system log, a file we are (as of yet) unable to edit. I hate to say it, but system makers have done a good job in the past few years in securing their systems. My 360 was a casualty of the mass XBL ban last year, even with stealthed firmware.
    Most of us don't have the dongles, and yet you are already claiming that the software data used by PSJB will be stored regardless of the deletion, and that we will be unable to edit such information?

And think logically. If such a hack (e.g. PSJB) that can change a PS3 or its data, then it would be permanent; the effects of PSJB would still be there after when you unplug the dongle. But in actuality, the hack doesn't work when you unplug the dongle (which is evident in the videos.) It's like a temporary hack. It's logical that temporary hacks don't write to files permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by ralferoo View Post
    Of course this backup manager should be trivially detectable - if it dumps a load of stuff in /dev_hdd0/game/LAUN12345. Sony simply need to detect for the presence of that directory and they know the backup manager has been run.
    couldn't you just use an external hd if thats the case... unplug it when you go online.

also couldn't you just change the directory or similar by hex editing the manager.pkg?

UP0001-LAUN12345_00-0000111122223333

or even using a different backup manager - didn't the ps3 scene have one already for debug machines?

change the source of that to obfuscate or polymorph itself upon execution.

Quote Originally Posted by Boojak2 View Post
    Most of us don't have the dongles, and yet you are already claiming that the software data used by PSJB will be stored regardless of the deletion, and that we will be unable to edit such information?

And think logically. If such a hack (e.g. PSJB) that can change a PS3 or its data, then it would be permanent; the effects of PSJB would still be there after when you unplug the dongle. But in actuality, the hack doesn't work when you unplug the dongle (which is evident in the videos.) It's like a temporary hack. It's logical that temporary hacks don't write to files permanently.
    I did not say it stored the software data or wrote to the system permanently. I stated that the PS3 stored device-related information in a log file, and that includes HW IDs. Before spouting off next time, try reading, as this has been stated before.

I hope they will find a way around so you can't get banned, I really want to play online too.

If the backup manager browser is detectable because of the ID it uses, why can't it use a valid ID from a different application? Say a demo or something from PSN?

Doing this would probably mean that you couldn't use the demo or game in question, but surely this would resolve that particular concern?

Quote Originally Posted by hacked2123 View Post
    PS-tWii (Finally)! (pronounce 'PS-tweet' minus the t at the end )
    XBMC (Para PS3)
    Brute-Force apps with GPU support (and network too )
    Dedicated 'offline' PSN server mode? (Just being hopeful)
    Ext2/3/4 FS support (maybe not efficiently, but it will be done)
    Permanent Custom Firmwares (created from GeoHot's method + homebrew)
    Multiple Video out support per title (Borderlands per-say, does scaling dependent on resolution so HDMI would be 720P, component would be 720P, and then resolution would be 2360x720P)

Just got to get an SDK, and a 'boot-stick' and I'll be ready to work on 'em all
    Dude you're freaking awesome x]

I have a request, though! There's something I'd really like to see made, but I see the chances of this being made very slim to none seeing as it's not a popular site. But anyways... On to the request

If you have time, I think it'd be nice to make a myYearbook program. They've got it for iPod/Android/iPhone, and seeing as I have none of those, I'd love to see it on PS3. The site is kinda like myspace/facebook, except LOADS easier to meet new people I could be on it all day and not get bored =p Tons of cool features aswell. A program on ps3 would be killer, imo.

The site is myyearbook.com if you'd like to look into it. I know it wouldn't be top priority, and IF you actually did consider doing it, it'd probably be a while 'till it'd be worked on. But that's alright with me. I'd just like to see one made, and be able to anticipate it xD

Quote Originally Posted by Boojak2 View Post
    Yes, you can delete the backup manager. Stop bsing. The backup manager lets you delete installed games and if you want to delete the backup manager just delete it like you would a retail demo or something.

The Backup Manager is a .PKG file and you can even delete it as well. If you can delete it on a debug/dev unit, you can also delete it on a retail unit.
    Dude, key words: from what I understand. Next time, read the whole sentence before answering, rather than half and going "HURR DURR THIS GUYS BSING." He asked a question and I answered it to the best of my ability. Kay, so I was wrong, doesn't mean I was bsing.

I was pretty sure I read somewhere that once you install it, you can't uninstall it. But I guess I stand corrected.
    Last edited by chomps268; 08-23-2010 at 09:22 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

LOL!!! Sony will fight against its own tools... Thatís crazy!!!

As soon as hackers have such a tool in their hands they will probably hack completely the ps3 and gain entry to psn again...
    I don't worry...

Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News