Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Fr33m4n View Post
    What a coincidence. I found a friend who hasn't upgraded past 3.15. He said he'd switch with me if if I showed him how to jailbreak.

But I'm thinking so what? What does OtherOS actually get me? Without proper drivers linux is still pretty crippled even with full hw access, right? Shouldn't I just update it to 3.41 and be done with it?
    I'd say - unless you're for example after Move support or 3D gaming - NO!

Because - there might be much more vulnerabilities present in 3.15 FW than in 3.41 so you could be able to install CFW or run some extra homebrew which might not be possible (or at least not right away) on later versions of FWs ...

Hmmm I wonder if you used the USB Firmware loader with the dev_flash from 3.01 on a 3.41 machine, if it would let you "upgrade" to 3.15...?

Quote Originally Posted by GrandpaHomer View Post
    I'd say - unless you're for example after Move support or 3D gaming - NO!

Because - there might be much more vulnerabilities present in 3.15 FW than in 3.41 so you could be able to install CFW or run some extra homebrew which might not be possible (or at least not right away) on later versions of FWs ...
    Perhaps. But aren't there WAY more devs working on 3.41. Aren't we likely to have breakthroughs there first? And those breakthroughs might not even work on older fw's right away, and it could take a long time before they get ported.

Anyway, I've told my friend to hold off on upgrading. I'll wait a little and see what happens.

Yep, me too waiting for the FW 3.15 version.. and waiting for a HTC Tattoo PS Jailbreak version.. hehe..

Quote Originally Posted by svanheulen View Post
    Hmmm I wonder if you used the USB Firmware loader with the dev_flash from 3.01 on a 3.41 machine, if it would let you "upgrade" to 3.15...?
    sadly no.. because even if you are running ur dev_flash via usb with jaicrabs loader... and you have for instance 3.01 running from USB, when you start the update the ps3 will reboot and no longer be running from the dev_flash on the usb drive or be jailbroken at this point so the update pkg will still see that your on 3.41 (or whatever you happen to be on)

Ahhhhhh YEAH!!! I'm just waiting for 3.15 Now just a quick question here... are PS2 backups going to be possible one day? Soon I Hope

$ony Just messed with the Wrong Guyz...

Cheers!!

Has anyone tried it yet?

I have now updated the first post with the 3.10 and 3.15 update from KaKaRoTo in case anyone needs it.

Wow, big thanks to KaKaRoTo!!! I think the best way to figure out how was OtherOS disabled would be to add support for 3.21 and compare the differences between 3.15 and 3.21...

It would be awesome to use that info to enable OtherOS in 3.41 but I think probably after 3.21 Sony keep crypling the frimware and slowly removing the now unnecessary OtherOS stuff which would make it a lot more difficult...

I have higher hopes for Marcan's work on AsbestOS to be able to use Linux on 3.41 which also removes the access to RSX limitation...

i just heat gunned a red light error and it has 2.76 so if some one could compile this for a blackcat i can dump the flash to test on a 3.41

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast