Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

This is exciting. Wonder what we will have first. Downgrades to 3.15 or OtherOs support in 3.41?

upload, pls, this file from v.3.01: dev_flash\vsh\etc\index.dat

hope someone has 3.01, invites his dev_flash high so we can all downgrade.

i'd be a lot happier if someone mirically pulled the dev flash from 3.50 lol.

Top work though... keep it up!!!

Great news, the more PSFreedom and PSGroove versions, the best for us all! Thanks and keep the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by jevolution View Post
    wow... did he just imply we can dump the 3.01 dev_flash and boot it using our 3.41 fw ps3?? :O

jizzz in my pants
    And - vice versa indeed too Happy days!

Well that is great news indeed for everyone who was able to hold off with out updating. Great work!

Fantastic news! Wasn't expecting this so soon

What a coincidence. I found a friend who hasn't upgraded past 3.15. He said he'd switch with me if if I showed him how to jailbreak.

But I'm thinking so what? What does OtherOS actually get me? Without proper drivers linux is still pretty crippled even with full hw access, right? Shouldn't I just update it to 3.41 and be done with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Fr33m4n View Post
    What a coincidence. I found a friend who hasn't upgraded past 3.15. He said he'd switch with me if if I showed him how to jailbreak.

But I'm thinking so what? What does OtherOS actually get me? Without proper drivers linux is still pretty crippled even with full hw access, right? Shouldn't I just update it to 3.41 and be done with it?
    Linux was still very useful even in it's limited state. Using Firefox on PS3 Linux allows you to view sites that often don't work in the horrible PS3 Browser. Even PS3NEWS.com doesn't display correctly all the time in the PS3 browser, and it's frustrating. With a jailbroken PS3, there could always be advancements with full hardware access that were obviously not possible on the locked-down official firmware, enabling a more pleasant experience.

There was software available that allowed users to use PS3 Linux to help PCs convert HD movies into X264 format. The software has since been abandoned because newer PS3 firmware disabled OtherOS completely.

When you're not playing games, PS3 Linux is actually pretty nice to use. Don't forget you can do multiple things in PS3 Linux, while you are limited to running only one homebrew app at a time in the PS3 OS. Maybe you want to be able to play a movie on PS3 Linux while you transfer FTP files to the PS3 HDD.

Obviously GameOS works excellent, but PS3 Linux (OtherOS) has advantages as well.

The most important part of this news is that we will finally have the ability to examine a jailbroken PS3 firmware that still has OtherOS enabled. This should make it easier to compare what was changed/removed, and port OtherOS to newer firmware versions, allowing everyone to update and play the newest games.

This is certainly a step closer to bringing OtherOS back. Who knows, we may find new exploits on OtherOS, such as decrypting some of those firmware files. If I remember correctly, GeoHot's exploit through OtherOS gave him full access and the ability to decrypt files (But don't quote me on that).

I'm sure we are all waiting to be able to use 3.50 jailbroken, or at least get PSN access, but show some love to the other users out there who are still on older firmware with OtherOS. They deserve some attention as well!

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast