Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

PS3MFW - PS3 Modified Firmware Project is Announced

Today PlayStation 3 hacker http://twitter.com/KaKaRoToKS has announced news of PS3MFW, a PS3 Modified Firmware project!

From the official site (linked above): We have just been informed by an anonymous source that a new modified firmware-project is underway: Project PS3MFW.

There are several contributors, some of whom are well-known within the PS3 homebrew community but wish to remain anonymous. However, we were told that KaKaRoTo is playing an important role in the project.

The purpose of Project PS3MFW is the development of a customizable tool that creates modified firmware for Playstation 3 with many great features not available in current solutions. It provides a framework where each firmware modification task is an independent plugin with access to an API that facilitates the modification process. One important feature is that the project will be entirely open source, as opposed to every other MFW released to date.

The tool will be called “PS3MFW Builder”, and it will work in conjunction with several other utilities.

Project PS3MFW is an ongoing project; anyone qualified can contribute. A release of the PS3MFW Builder v0.1 is imminent.

Updates from KaKaRoToKS via Twitter: PS3MFW has ~65 customization options, the backend is robust and does a lot of checks, we tested almost every combination, on 3.15, 3.41 and 3.55 and tested it on over 15 different PS3 models, we had no bricks at all.

The "Task options" you see are just for the "clean video" task, each task has its own options that you access with the 'configure' button

FYI, in the screenshot, that "theme" option is just about the GUI theme, has nothing to do with the generated PUP.

For now the tool doesn't support 3.56, but it works and was tested on 3.15, 3.41 and 3.55. I will release more information later: ps3mfw.com

PS3MFW Builder v0.1 Features:

Options:
    • Show verbose debugging information
    • Disable log output
    • Custom PUP build version
    • If set, overrides the entire PUP version string
    • Prefix to add to the PUP version string
    • Suffix to add to the PUP version string

Tasks:
    • Add new icons to the XMB Game category
    • Patch LV1 Hypervisor
    • Patch package installer to allow installation of unsigned .pkg
    • Patch the Application launcher to allow running of unsigned application
    • Add a custom message to the "New Features" installation screen
    • Clean unwanted icons from the XMB Photo Category
    • Clean unwanted icons from the XMB Music Category
    • Clean unwanted icons from the XMB Video Category
    • Clean unwanted icons from the XMB Game Category
    • Clean unwanted icons from the XMB Network Category
    • Clean unwanted icons from the XMB Playstation Network Category
    • Clean unwanted icons from the XMB Friends Category
    • Remove "BD Data Utility" icon from the XMB Video Category
    • Remove "Search for Media Servers" icon from the XMB Video Category
    • Remove "Network Media Servers" icon from the XMB Video Category
    • Remove "Video Editor & Uploader" icon from the XMB Video Category
    • Remove "Netflix" icon from the XMB Video Category
    • Remove "PlayStation Store" icon from the XMB Video Category

Theme:
    • Aqua
    • Clam
    • Windows native
    • Revitalized
    • Classic
    • XP Native

PS3MFW - PS3 Modified Firmware Project is Announced

More PlayStation 3 News...

This is impressive! Perhaps too impressive - what I mean, if you let this loose in the wrong hands, you can just imagine how many "I bricked my PS3" post we will have! But, I have hope - KaKaRoToKS and an0nym0us are not idiots. I don't think it will be released prior it being idiot-proof!!

Pity this might not be a solution for those on 3.56. The new security seems to be a bigger pain than initially anticipated. Only time will tell though.

Wow. By looking the screenshot it seems the best project so far.

KaKarotoKs is brave guy he not afraid like others and the work he's doing for ps3 secene is fantastic.

please not another mfw modder... i can already see the thread names: "Need help on installing pkg on 3.56 MKW NO Log, No BD, etc." and "Need help on getting... running on 3.60 MKW BD, lv1, lv2, etc."

please stop making thousands of custom firmware modder tools and create firmwares. there more cfw's existing, there more problems will occour on compiling, patching, etc.

i hope those tool won't get the head, and cfw's like the one from Waninkoko will be the only one at the end.

Moved to the main page now, and +Rep to enri69 for the news!

I truly believe this could work, however a lot of people would be disappointed if something bad happened.

What does Waninkoko's firmware offer that the other ones don't other than his first attempt created a lot of bricks?

As long as this evolves into an XBMC like super dash/launcher/OS whatever the hell you want to call it/ I will be psyched.

The PS3 Scene is shaping up to be as cool as the Xbox scene was 7 years ago. Something that is very refreshing after the let down in the 360 scene.

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousG View Post
    What does Waninkoko's firmware offer that the other ones don't other than his first attempt created a lot of bricks?
    While trying not to go offtopic of PS3MFW, I believe Jes03 summarized the benefits of Waninkoko's CFW vs others HERE. Of course everyone has different preferences, so what one user likes another may not.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast