Update: The PS3Key v2 update is now available, which offers the recent PSGroove features including:Sponsored Links
New features in v2:
1. Now supports peek/poke commands.
2. Backups on USB HDD can now run without an original game in the BluRay drive.
3. Works with Backup Manager 2.
Today French site Wiilogic.com (linked above) have shared some screens of the PS3Key Teaser PKG Installer loader, and [Register or Login to view links] have posted a PS3Key Tape Fix guide for those unfortunate enough to get a first-run production PS3Key PlayStation 3 modchip which contains a design flaw.
To quote, roughly translated: "Following our page on PS3Key, Team PS3Key contacted us and denies making a clone PSJailbreak.
She presents her own at the loader manager PS3Key which only works with the PS3 master key and provides the perfect situation at future upgrades of the chip PS3Key the reactions of Sony."
That said, it appears the PS3Key Teaser will only work with official PS3Key modchips and not other clones... at least for the time being.
Below is the PS3Key Tape Fix Guide by modrobert for those who need it. The crystal (clock) used on PS3Key has really sharp pins which can short out against the metal case covering the small board (PCB) by cutting through the masking tape. When the clock pins are shorted out the led on PS3Key will not light up at all and the jailbreak will fail.
- Remove the rubber back of the PS3Key as shown below, it should come off easy.
- Bend out the tiny clamps holding the board (PCB) using a small screwdriver or a pair of pliers with really thin tips as seen below. The board should slide out easily once these two are bent out. Be careful not bending the clamps "back and forth" too much as they could break off.
- The bottom side of the PCB can be seen here with the masking tape removed. The two clock (crystal) pins are visible. Use quality electrical tape to cover these solder joints, perhaps two layers of tape just to make sure the pins will not pierce through after wear and tear.
- Here you can see the board after I applied the electrical tape which should be enough to prevent the pins from shorting out against the metal case.
- After this just slide the board back in, carefully bend the clamps back around the PCB and push the rubber back on.
More PlayStation 3 News...