Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Question PS3jailbreak and Demonstration Firmware

Sponsored Links
    I have a legally purchased fat PS3 that is stuck running demonstration firmware.

For anyone who doesn't know, it's the same hardware as a retail 60gb version, but is running firmware with crippled features (most notably for me, no access to the PSN store). I've been waiting a long time for a hack to come along to let me get rid of this and just go to normal firmware.

I've seen it mentioned a few times that the ps3jailbreak stick's software includes a pkg manager/browser.

Does anyone know if I would be able to to run an official Sony firmware pkg with this? Does anyone have access to a demo unit and a jailbreak stick to give this a try?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Well, for now, PSBJ cant help you, because there isnt any CFW availabe, just the backup manager.

So, you'll have to wait pal. Maybe in the future the release something to "unlock" your ps3 from this strage situation...as you said, some custom firmware to replace this failed one.

But I never heard of ny PS3 acting like that. Could you make a video for us?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I remember seeing a forum on this site that had a bunch of codes for unlocking the demo mode for different fw versions u should look around for that or i'll post the link if i spot it

Here it is: http://www.ps3news.com/forums/playst...ode-56991.html
    Last edited by MCPADDINGTON; 08-24-2010 at 04:40 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

The PSJ will probably work just fine with the DEMO firmware... but PSN will still be out of bounds.

they are selling ps3 with a 23inch lcd for $200 in wisconsin. demo ps3's that is. the guy told me you can still go online with them but you need the code that goes with that firmware. they give you the code if you buy one and he also said that when new firmware comes out, they will have the new codes in 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by cirojr View Post
    Well, for now, PSBJ cant help you, because there isnt any CFW availabe, just the backup manager.

So, you'll have to wait pal. Maybe in the future the release something to "unlock" your ps3 from this strage situation...as you said, some custom firmware to replace this failed one.

But I never heard of ny PS3 acting like that. Could you make a video for us?
    I don't care about CFW. At least not at this point. I just want regular retail firmware so I can use the PSN store and some other features that are locked out. It's not an error it's a retail kiosk display unit that runs a special demonstration version of retail firmware. They aren't supposed to be sold to consumers, but long story short I have one.
    Quote Originally Posted by MCPADDINGTON View Post
    I remember seeing a forum on this site that had a bunch of codes for unlocking the demo mode for different fw versions u should look around for that or i'll post the link if i spot it

Here it is: http://www.ps3news.com/forums/playst...ode-56991.html
    I know all about these codes. They help, but certain features are still locked out, namely the PSN store and any sort of themes and customization.
    Quote Originally Posted by hacked2123 View Post
    The PSJ will probably work just fine with the DEMO firmware... but PSN will still be out of bounds.
    I figured that much. Again, I don't care about backups at this point, I just want a legit ps3. I was wondering if the pkg manager works with official sony packages like firmware update packages.
    Quote Originally Posted by pizzag View Post
    they are selling ps3 with a 23inch lcd for $200 in wisconsin. demo ps3's that is. the guy told me you can still go online with them but you need the code that goes with that firmware. they give you the code if you buy one and he also said that when new firmware comes out, they will have the new codes in 2 weeks.
    It's not that hard. It's only a 4 digit code. A bunch of us usually get together on some forum or another and brute force it.

I was wondering if the pkg manager works with official sony packages like firmware update packages.
    When CFW comes out, the keys can be modified to install retail firmware on the DEMO unit... or Debug for that matter. Don't update past 3.41 and I am sure a DEV will take care of you. The DEMO units are great units, they even play PS2, just no PSN support.

Oh and FYI the update 'package' is not a 'pkg'... so its not designed, or even convertible to the Package Installer. Updates have LV2 privileges.
    Last edited by hacked2123; 08-25-2010 at 01:06 AM

Gotcha. Yeah, it is a good unit. The only problem with not updating past 3.41 is that I couldn't figure out how to update from disc or usb drive.

The demo firmware looks for updates in different places than retail, so if I updated it through network it would just pick the most recent.

I also have a demo version ps3 bought off craigslist had 2.60 on it had the code for it but i wanted to update to get online and now its locked up tight.. need 3.41 unlock code, has anyone brute forced it yet?

UPDATE it was 2998.
    Last edited by TheSeph; 08-29-2010 at 11:58 PM Reason: found code

I don't understand why people would buy these frustrating demo units. Is it really that much cheaper?

It just seems like a real pain just to save a bit of cash. I'd hate to have to worry about figuring the code out every time I updated.

But like others have said, I would stay on 3.41 and hope somehow somebody will come up with a way to move you to a retail firmware or a custom firmware, so you can access all the features without any hassle.

Sponsored Links

Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News