Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    If you did not read what I wrote a few posts up, the infectus will only dump the encrypted raw data, and that's also including the ECC data. So unless someone makes a tool to unencrypt the nand dump then we won't be able to do it. We also need to find a way to get the encryption keys.

From what I can see, right now an infectus dump is totally useless.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I just got my second ps3 to day, EU 320GB Slim. My old one is a US 60GB Fat.

The first thing i did when i got it, was to update the FW from 3.40 to 3.41. Then i installed the FTPserver, and copyed every thing from the new ps3. Then i compared the dev_flash on Fat(US) one with the Slim(EU) one, and guess what...

They are identical in size: 177*360*300 byte, but then i tried to compress them winrar and check the MD5 check sums, but the compressed size did not end up as the same. Then i tried with to zip them with windows. They ended up with the same size, but the MD5 Check sum's where not the same.

So there are some small differences between the US FW and the EU FW.

Then i copied the dev_flash from the Slim one to usb stick and plugged it in to the Fat one, and started the Firm Loader. And it worked.

So in other words, it is possible to run the dev_flash from one ps3, on another ps3. They are not locked to the ps3. As some people claim....

My suggestion is to add a Firm loader function in PSgroove, make it mount the usb as the dev_flash in the memory.
    From what i could see while updating to WF 3.41, the ps3 did not restart it self, it just exited the xmb, and started the FW update "OS".

And we will be able to update the FW on the usb mounted dev_flash. My other solution is a litle more drastic, but might work. Hook up the nand to a usb controller, and plug it in to a JBPS3, then use FTPserver to copy the files.

Edit: I just finished hash checking all the files in dev_flash on the US Fat, white the EU Slim one. They are IDENTICAL, all the MD5 checksums match up.
    Last edited by Red 13; 09-28-2010 at 02:13 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by Red 13 View Post
    So there are some small differences between the US FW and the EU FW.
    Wrong. Those are dump of a memory of a running system. The current state of it, like connected devices, installed games, opened menus so far may result in slight differences in the dumped memory.

Quote Originally Posted by emsi View Post
    Wrong. Those are dump of a memory of a running system. The current state of it, like connected devices, installed games, opened menus so far may result in slight differences in the dumped memory.
    I was wrong, and you are wrong

I have hash checked every file, and they are identical. Yes it is a memory dump, a nand flash memory dump, not a RAM memory dump. Nothing changes in the dev_flash, except when you do a fw update.

Here is my theory on how it is possible to make a copy of the dev_flash from almost any fw, old and new.

Can some one with a infectus chip and a JB pleas test this out

First flash the ps3 nand's to fw3.41,then start the ps3 with JB and install
    USB Firm loader and FTPserver 1.0, then make a copy of the dev_flash to a usb stick.
    Then start the Firm loader, while you are runing the dev_flash from the usb, flash the PS3 nand's to fw 3.50.
    Then use FTPserver1.0 to acess the dev_flash0, this should contain the 3.50 fw!?

If this works, and i can't see why not, it could be done with any fw that people with the infectus chip have a made a copy of.

And no, the dev_flash is not locked to one ps3. I have tested.
    And it does not contain any personal information.
    I have hash ckecked two dev_flash folders, from two differnt ps3's with fw3.41, one Fat (US) and one Slim (EU), and they are identical.

The xRegistry file may also change between the different fw's,like entries for enabeling OtherOS on the old fw's and more 3D settings on the new fw's.
    Last edited by Red 13; 09-29-2010 at 02:46 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Not to spoil your joy but it was known for long time that FWs are all the same independent of the model and region And indeed - UNENCRYPTED "dump" is independent of the PS3 - the encypted ones are though.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandpaHomer View Post
    Not to spoil your joy but it was known for long time that FWs are all the same independent of the model and region And indeed - UNENCRYPTED "dump" is independent of the PS3 - the encypted ones are though.
    No, you didnt spoil my joy But what do you think of my theory?

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrr View Post
    I got a working 2.70 Firmware PS3.. Still waiting for the PRE 3.41 Release :$
    why don't you just update to 3.41?

Quote Originally Posted by Red 13 View Post
    No, you didnt spoil my joy But what do you think of my theory?
    Well - the problem is the moment you'll try to run update on JB-ed PS3 it will reboot it and you'll be not able tu use JB on it anymore. This was already suggested / discussed here in this very same thread
    Quote Originally Posted by svennie1992 View Post
    why don't you just update to 3.41?
    Maybe because s/he wants to keep Other OS? I myself have also two PS3s sitting on pre 3.41 FWs and I'm not in rush update those. My believe is that JB could be used on those with properly patched payload.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandpaHomer View Post
    Well - the problem is the moment you'll try to run update on JB-ed PS3 it will reboot it and you'll be not able tu use JB on it anymore. This was already suggested / discussed here in this very same thread

Maybe because s/he wants to keep Other OS? I myself have also two PS3s sitting on pre 3.41 FWs and I'm not in rush update those. My believe is that JB could be used on those with properly patched payload.
    I dont think you completly understand, i am not talking about updating to FW3.50, i am talking about using the infectus chip to flash the nand to fw3.50, while you are runing fw 3.41 from a memory stick.

JB and undecrypted access to fw3.50

You could try it, however I think you will just end up with a 3.50 system.

Sponsored Links
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News