jailbreak the ps3 usb port 1
    unplug it when its done
    plug in external to usb port 2
    turn on controller
    goto install packages wait for homebrew to come up
    exit that menu
    quickly goto jaicrabs cfw loader
    done!

if you dont see your external drive start flashing within like 10 seconds then try again.

when you load from usb you loose all "jailbreak" functions right? I mean you would have to if your loading an unpatched firmware right? so what ever mod you do to files on usb that can enable homebrew from usb loaded firmware would work on nand firmware if the files aren't signed?
    Last edited by pip1; 09-24-2010 at 10:49 PM

no when you load the cfw its still jailbroken, unless i'm missing your point.

@sk group:
    Question for you - when you've loaded your firmware from USB (before you've done any modifications to it) do you see the "Install Packages" icons?

Reason i ask, i've editted one of the files on mine and i *think* it would enable these dev icons without the need for JB (following a one off JB in the first place to allow access to dev_flash)

To clarify this:-
    Editted: dev_flash\vsh\resource\explore\xmb\category_game.x ml

combined the above with category_game_tool.xml (i.e. including the seg_gamedebug and seg_package_files keys/queries and views (it's all simple xml so easy to do)

The resulting (combined) category_game.xml should result in these icons being available. I've got them showing up & working on my custom firmware, but can't remember if they showed up before I started playing! - just wondering if they show up on a uneditted (stock) firmware run with Jaicrab's loader?
    (I'll check myself later, just not got time at the moment)

I could attach the combined file here if allowed (not sure if I should be sharing this file though)

My thought would be to do the following (if/when we have RW access to dev_flash on nand):-
    1. JB ps3
    2. Install FTP server or equiv
    3. Update category_game.xml with the combined one
    4. Reboot to normal, non JB but retaining the ability to install packages

Suspect this wouldn't work fully anyway because of the issue with signing them - but maybe it's a step in the right direction?

PSPSwampy.
    Note - this may be (probably is) total BS as I've not been feeling great and i'm probably not thinking this through fully!

hmmm i think somebody needs to find the old infectus NAND dumps and see if we can reverse enginere older firmwares to be loaded onto the usb stick and loaded directly as a dev firmware... oh well its just speculation as i do not know anybody with an infectus or old nand dumps.

the 60GB ps3 I got off craigslist still has fw 2.35, the HDD is messed up to no limit and I can't upgrade the FW so if anyone would like to send me their old infectus I'll dump what I have ;]

I got it to work last night finally. I loaded Jailbreak then unplugged it. plugged in the Usb key with the dev_flash (only the folders/files inside it not the actual dev_flash folder). Then loaded USB Firm Loader. worked perfectly, then plugged in USB HDD with all my other files on it then loaded whatever i wanted. This is great. now i can start experimenting with all the files to see what we change change.

I have an infectus and I also have a dead PS3 mobo with the dual nand chips. I can dump them for you guys if you'd like, but I don't think it will do any good at all since they will be encrypted and no one will be able to read whats in them. But I'll still do it anyways.

PM me if you are interested in my doing to for you.

I don't know what the current firmware is on that PS3 mobo, but it's been dead for quite some time so I would assume it's from be 3.0 firmware.... maybe even from around when 2.0 came out.

I got a working 2.70 Firmware PS3.. Still waiting for the PRE 3.41 Release :$

Question

Can an infectus chip dump dev_flash from a 3.50 updated ps3? Will those files then work in the CFW loader?

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast