Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

PS3 TOOL DECR-1000A XMB (XrossMediaBar) Menu Video Tour

Sponsored Links
    This week, as promised previously, we decided to show a video tour of the PS3 TOOL DECR-1000A XMB (XrossMediaBar) menu.

For anyone with a retail PlayStation 3 system, the options listed below are quite different. But, for those with PS3 Test units, the Debug settings are quite similar to that of a PS3 TOOL.

However, the biggest difference between a TEST and a TOOL is that of the TOOL's Communication Processor. Unlike the TEST, which relies on the PS3 hardware itself to do the work, the TOOL uses its CP for independent hardware debugging.

Going back to a Retail system - the major difference between a Retail and a Debug unit are the Check features (when pressing triangle), which runs a check on the installed application - reporting file size, location, contents etc. Another notable difference is, under the System Options setting, the Debug Settings - which contains a large number of features, detailed below in part.

One other significant difference between Retail systems and Development Systems is the coveted Install Package Option. Only available on TEST/TOOL's (as well as Demo systems, albeit neutered), this allows you to install properly created development packages onto the PS3.

Sadly, you can not just simply grab a bunch of retail game PKG's and install them - this feature is designed for the testing of code and patches. Those who wish to learn more can view our PS3 Debug/TEST and TOOL FAQ.

A useful feature in Development systems is the /app_home/PS3_GAME feature, which essentially lets you 'stream' a game right to the PS3, and lets you change things on the fly, and execute it very quickly.

Most of these features are self-explanatory, for instance O button behavior, allows O to become the X button, like on a Japanese system, or vice-versa. As is Game Output Resolution - you can set the output for the debugger, to either pass a nice 1920x1080 signal, or a "blurry" 480i composite signal.

Some of the features however are a bit more confusing, such as NP environment.

NP is the PlayStation Network, and may be aptley named NP and not PN (which, makes more sense) as it may be confused with PartnerNet - the Xbox DEV equivalent to LIVE. The NP enviorment can (depending on the box) be changed between Retail (np), Development (sp-int) and others like QA.

The other big difference between the PS3 TOOL and TEST, are the Boot Settings, listed as Debugger Mode, System Software Mode, and Release Mode. Release Mode is unavailable on a TOOL, however is available on a TEST.

Also the User Process Memory Size is listed, as the PS3 Reference TOOL has 512MB of system memory, on top of the 256MB of RSX memory. This 512MB can be split in half, to 256MB to match that of a retail system, with a simple click and reboot.

What may appear to be lacking on a PlayStation 3 TOOL are the Debug IP settings - some are there, but those are mainly for TEST systems, as debugging on port 1000 can be done over LAN, while PSN access can be done over WiFi.

Of course, not every option was covered in this tour. If you have any questions about the more common options, just drop a reply in this thread, and it will be answered- video is below!

PS3 TOOL DECR-1000A XMB (XrossMediaBar) Menu Video Tour

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Thanks for the follow-up on this CJPC! Considering I will never own a TOOL, I know I've been bugging you to do it for the last few months so I can at least see the menus, so it's nice you were able to get around to it before classes resume.

Another thing it would be nice to see a follow-up on (when time permits, of course!) is when you install your Infectus Mod into that Service Mode PS3 and dump/compare the NAND images.

Sponsored Links

Thumbs Up

Sponsored Links
    thanks for sharing this.. i was amazed to see how many options for the dev, xmb there was... thanks

Awesome, I didn't know there were so many option for devs!

thanks for sharing

Ya, thanks for the tour CJPC.

I´ll also never own a test unit so at least the lets me see what they´re all about.

Big Grin

CJPC didn't want to officially announce anything in the Site News (as he doesn't have it in his possession yet), but in the next few days another extremely rare and very handy piece of PS3 hardware should be arriving.

Assuming it shows up (it's due by Wednesday), expect an update with some pics and preliminary details on it by this coming weekend.

Could this piece of hardware be the elusive service mode retail PS3?

Looking forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by CJPC
    Sadly, you can not just simply grab a bunch of retail game PKG's and install them - this feature is designed for the testing of code and patches.
    In the FAQ you state that the TEST can run retail code. So if you decipher retail PKG's on a retail and use the SDK Tool to make a DEV PKG they would work? Or in the case of the TOOL just run the unpacked PKG from /app_home/?

And would it make any sense to grab some for you?

Quote Originally Posted by smarty94 View Post
    Could this piece of hardware be the elusive service mode retail PS3?
    We already got one of those units a few weeks back actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerotacg View Post
    In the FAQ you state that the TEST can run retail code. So if you decipher retail PKG's on a retail and use the SDK Tool to make a DEV PKG they would work? Or in the case of the TOOL just run the unpacked PKG from /app_home/?

And would it make any sense to grab some for you?
    Both the TEST and TOOL allow code to be run from /app_home, however the PKG files are NPDRM ones - they will only run from HDD, so they can not be run from /app_home, or disc, USB, etc!

Very nice indeed and thanks for sharing this news with us for sure.

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News