Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PS3 News View Post
    A follow-up to my reply (quoted above) for those who are following... the good news is the hardware DID arrive as expected and is in-hand now, however, CJPC starts classes tomorrow and hasn't had enough time to dive into it yet.

That being said, we're going to target next week for an update unless a lot happens on the GeoHot front this week that keeps us busy of course.
    Don't get me wrong, i'm glad GeoHot has made some progress, but you still have guys like me still cheering for the home team, if CJPC can find the time, please give us an update.. for some reason i just can't ride the band wagon lol.

Definitely... more Dev updates will come soon, but there are a lot of factors involved that we have to consider while running the site.

Although CJPC enjoys plugging away with his TOOL (or other hardware) as a hobby, the domain "ps3news.com" is also a business, and with that in mind we have to go with the flow.

This means while Geo is Hot (pun intended ) we need to put him in the spotlight and see how far he goes, mainly because it's what most other sites are currently reporting on and what the majority of viewers are interested in reading about.

While CJ's findings interest Devs (and some technical readers, collectors and hardware enthusiasts) it isn't as "exciting" as what GeoHot is currently doing to the average reader seeking to back-up their expensive PS3 games and play them.

The other advantage of what GeoHot is doing is it will (hopefully) open the PS3 homebrew scene meaning as a site we can soon shift focus more on PS3 homebrew/hack/scene news and less on general N4G/GameSpot/IGN type news that we've been reporting on to maintain traffic for the last few years while the PS3 wasn't hacked.

I'm sure we'll find the right balance soon enough, hopefully not long after GeoHot releases his hack/exploit and others begin working off of it doing their own stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by imtoodvs View Post
    Don't get me wrong, i'm glad GeoHot has made some progress, but you still have guys like me still cheering for the home team, if CJPC can find the time, please give us an update.. for some reason i just can't ride the band wagon lol.
    I second that, cheering on the hometeam devs!

Hmmmm, I will post my opinion on this. First I'm very interested in the piece of hardware CJPC just acquired and thank you Boss for the follow up on that. Second, what Geo is doing for the scene is invaluable, I believe, but as he posted close to nothing, I have no idea whatsoever where this hack he found will lead to. But I'm pretty sure It will help the resident devs in some way, perhaps helping them getting out of a dead end somewhere in their researches.

Anyways, I will wait anxiously for the news from CJPC and will hope for the best for both Geo and the Devs.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Preceptor View Post
    But I'm pretty sure It will help the resident devs in some way, perhaps helping them getting out of a dead end somewhere in their researches.
    Honestly, the Devs aren't at a dead end at all... they just don't like to share things openly like GeoHot does. In fact, they wouldn't have shared the HDD Decryption tools but as the method was leaked they had little choice. Things like that don't benefit the public (they never use them) and only can harm development as the more Sony knows the harder things become.

CJPC is primarily working with the PS3 TOOL, so while GeoHot's findings will definitely be handy to those wishing to pursue that path I don't forsee them changing much development-wise here. I'd expect to see continued Dev updates from both the TOOL and Service Mode project CJPC is working on... as time permits of course.

Of course, of course. And I somehow agree with them because it is the only logical choice. Geo is too quick to publish his results and he caused the biggest hype I've ever seen in the ps3, and we still don't know whether it will lead to homebrew or not. I'm not sure if even HE does...

On the other hand, in the end, the DEV's hacks are theirs and they can do whatever they want with them. It is their choice to ever disclose them to the public or not. The thing is... Will they ever...? I wonder The ps3 reached half it's lifetime last year and we don't seem anywhere close to homebrews. I think only time will tell in the end.

I think we will have to wait and see.
    Cheers mate!

Wow. The PS3 Tool is one hell of a machine

Hard-Hardmod?

Can you already say what the hardware part is going to be?

Do you simply have to plug something into your USB-port or will you definately need a modchip?

Quote Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
    Can you already say what the hardware part is going to be?

Do you simply have to plug something into your USB-port or will you definately need a modchip?
    Not yet - and in regards to the USB, not sure what your thinking but its not like some magic modchip showed up and I'm testing it - it's not that.

Ok. Thanks for the info. Just wanted to know if you'll have to do hardware modifications which are "tracable". You know what I mean.

But obviously you have to. Since he says that whole is not 100% patchable by Sony. It could be a "stealth" way to mod your console though. So that's why I was asking about USB. Stealthiest way would be unplugging the "piece of hardware" which is neccessary.

Anyways I know it couldn't be that simple because USB is kinda safe.

Edit: and maybe I just shouldn't write stuff when I'm drunk as hell...
    Last edited by Shrink; 01-25-2010 at 02:57 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast