Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

PS3 TOOL DECR-1000A System Controller & Flash Chips Detailed

Sponsored Links
    As we have been bringing you the first looks at the PS3 TOOL and its internals, we plan to detail every last part of the PS3 TOOL - starting with the big chip differences.

Today we are focusing on four important chips, specifically the PS3 System Controller, Flash, Flash Controller and IO controller.

Let's start with the System Controller. In the picture (below), it is top center. The System controller, CXR713F120A, is slightly different in part number from that of its retail equivalent (CXR713120).

It is interesting to note that we have also documented this chip in Prototype PS3 systems - meaning that the chip is most likely for old stock, reserved for development systems. Later on, in PS3 TEST's the chip model was changed back to that of its retail equivalent.

The system controller is equivalent to the medulla oblongata of your brain. It controls the systems basic functions - like power. It's the thing that makes your PS3 beep when you power it on. It also has some other interesting features, many of which we are still working on documenting.

To the left of the System Controller are some pads and buttons - the button resets the system, while the pads are for signals that are brought out (like JTAG, two UART's, and a few other Debug interfaces).

Next, in the bottom left of the PS3 TOOL mainboard is the system flash, the Samsung K9F2G08U0M. Unlike that of a retail of its time (2006-2007), the PS3 TOOL features a single 2 Gigabit flash, vs two 1 Gigabit flashes like on a retail system.

Why this was done is a guess - perhaps to save space on the PCB (it is quite packed). Still the same amount of storage (256MB) as that of a retail (of its time), but in a higher density package.

To the right of the flash, is the flash controller (the CXD4302GB). The CXD4302 on a retail system handles the interleaving and byteswapping of the dual flashes, and then allows it to talk with the rest of the system. The same occurs for the most part on the TOOL, however there is also an extra pad for an additional flash - perhaps as a "patch".

Of course, that big Debug header stuck between the System Controller and the Flash / Flash controller is likely an interface that allows quick programming of the flash itself - when Sony uses the PS3 TOOL to develop and test firmware upgrades, it is imperative that they have a hardware recovery method.

Finally, on the lower right hand side are more TOOL-unique features. First are the OS0-OS7 LED's, they mimic the front panel GPIO output, and there is the CXD9790GG.

The CXD9790GG helps handle communication between the Communication Processor, and the system controller, and southbridge. Using this path, the CP can talk to the System Controller, and bring the system up, down, and change its boot settings.

More soon, followed by what we've done so far on the incredible PS3 TOOL!

PS3 TOOL DECR-1000A System Controller & Flash Chips Detailed

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links

Thumbs Up

Sponsored Links
    I know it's hard to find time to play with the PS3 TOOL as much as you'd like, but THANKS for the updates as always CJPC!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    THX for the information CJPC and for me it looks like that the MB of the PS3 Tool will be equal in size to the retail BD Drive MB. Is this correct?

Thumbs Up

Thanks for the update, I like these posts, full of useful information! can't wait for the next one!
    Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by cfwprophet View Post
    THX for the information CJPC and for me it looks like that the MB of the PS3 Tool will be equal in size to the retail BD Drive MB. Is this correct?
    Actually no, the PS3 TOOL mobo is actually a bit bigger than that of the BD drive.

If you take a peek @ the first picture here: http://www.ps3news.com/ps3-hacks-jai...ils-available/

The BD drive is in the lower right, and pretty much everything else that you can see - the TOOL motherboard, its just the perspective of the new picture that throws it off a little bit, as they are actually small chips!

"More soon, followed by what we've done so far on the incredible PS3 TOOL!"

This is what I'm waiting for, that this Tool is a beast we already know, I do want to see some action

Nice news CJPC as usual on this PS3 Tool.

Thats Pretty cool, I cant wait to hear as to what all you have one with the tool.. Looking forward to all the upcoming news you share.

Thumbs Up

Awesome post as usual

Eagerly anticipating the "More soon, followed by what we've done so far on the incredible PS3 TOOL!"

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by jabberosx View Post
    Awesome post as usual

Eagerly anticipating the "More soon, followed by what we've done so far on the incredible PS3 TOOL!"
    Quote Originally Posted by veggav View Post
    "More soon, followed by what we've done so far on the incredible PS3 TOOL!"

This is what I'm waiting for, that this Tool is a beast we already know, I do want to see some action
    Keep in mind though guys, everything done to date with the PS3 TOOL is only possible on a PS3 TOOL... so although it's truly phenomenal progress for TOOL owners, PS3 Devs and those who wish to learn about its innerworkings, we are still no closer to unlocking a retail PS3 console.

If you have enjoyed reading CJ's updates on the PS3 TOOL thus far, you will definitely like what's to come as it only gets better... but if you are expecting the PS3 TOOL to suddenly hack a retail PS3 console I wouldn't hold your breath.

Sponsored Links
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News