Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

PS3 TOOL DECR-1000A Serial Port Examined - Part 1

Sponsored Links
    Today we have a brief update on the PS3 TOOL DECR-1000A serial port, as I haven't had time yet (due to the holidays) to install my [Register or Login to view links] into our Service Mode PS3 to begin dumping and comparing the NAND images.

Not long ago we took a peek at the PS3 Reference Tool's serial port, which is a 9 pin RS-232 port is covered by a metal panel, with two screws holding it down. One would assume there are secrets behind it, we did!

On connecting to the unit, we received a prompt for a password. On a whim, we tried a few default passwords, one of which being Administrator, and it worked!

We then received the prompt shown in the picture (below). Alas, there are only a few options to set the IP address on the unit. It can either be set statically, or dynamically - letting the IP be obtained by a network DHCP server.

The version command returns the software version of the PS3 Communication Processor, which as we detailed previously, is the embedded debugger in the PS3 TOOL.

The IP settings as well are that of the embedded debugger. Luckily, it appears to be a simple script running on a Linux system.

That said, if we can manage to break out of the script, we would get access to the entire PS3 Communication Processor and be able to dump it!

PS3 TOOL DECR-1000A Serial Port Examined - Part 1

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links

Thumbs Up

Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by CJPC View Post
    That said, if we can manage to break out of the script, we would get access to the entire PS3 Communication Processor and be able to dump it!
    Once again BIG props to all of the PS3 Devs here, and let's keep our fingers crossed on this as well!

PS: I know the next few weeks should be less "hectic" for you since classes are out and the holidays are almost over, so don't forget about that "PS3 TOOL XMB Tour" you also said you'd give those of us who don't have one!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    The repeated news of the devs attaining a full service mode PS3, along with this and geohot's USB Bus stuff makes me REALLY think the PS3 will be hacked soon.

Woooow! What you just found out is not just anything!
    THAT could really lead us to where we're heading!

Banned User
    nice job and go ahead. i want to see the other details of the dev tool

CJPC: are you able to run a list command to see if there are any other commands to be run? I would imagine that there are more commands then just the options that are being echoed on the screen, because I doubt they would go through the trouble of making a device just to change so little.

Quote Originally Posted by evilsperm View Post
    CJPC: are you able to run a list command to see if there are any other commands to be run? I would imagine that there are more commands then just the options that are being echoed on the screen, because I doubt they would go through the trouble of making a device just to change so little.
    In that script, which we are "locked down" to, those are the only available commands.

I concur - they would not go through the trouble to just change so little, seems like a waste - however they have!

Nice work on this far to all dev's and keep the great work up as we do appreciate it greatly.

Thats great news, finally some real progress... keep up the good work!

Thumbs Up

Great work cjpc and devs.. btw cjpc we are eagerly waiting for tool xmb tour.

Sponsored Links
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News