) has released what he calls PS3 RetroArch v0.9.6, a homebrew multi-system video game emulator for the PlayStation 3 entertainment system which runs on PS3 CFW and Debug consoles!
Download: PS3 RetroArch v0.9.6 For CFW Kmeaw PS3
(18.02MB) / PS3 RetroArch v0.9.6 For CFW GeoHot PS3
(18.02MB) / PS3 RetroArch v0.9.6 For Debug PS3
(69.00MB) / RetroArch PS3 v0.9.6 - ALL PKGs
(105.46MB - Mirror) / RetroArch PS3 3.55 CFW PKG
(22.52MB - Update) / RetroArch PS3 3.41 CFW PKG
(22.79MB - Update) / PS3 RetroArch v0.9.7 RC1 For 3.55 CFW Kmeaw
/ PS3 RetroArch v0.9.7 RC1 For 3.41 CFW
/ PS3 RetroArch v0.9.7 RC1 For DEX
/ PS3 RetroArch CEX v0.9.7 RC2 mM 20120821
(23.88MB) / PS3 RetroArch CEX v0.9.7 RC2 Rev A mM 20120821
(19.79MB) / http://github.com/twinaphex / SVN
File Names: PS3 RetroArch.PS3.v0.9.6.FOR.CFW.KMEAW.PS3 / PS3 RetroArch.PS3.v0.9.6.FOR.CFW.PS3 / PS3 RetroArch.PS3.v0.9.6.FOR.DEBUG.PS3
To quote: Here is the release of RetroArch PS3 - a multi-system emulator/game system. Expect a lot more from us in the coming months. Included in this package are the following emulators/game engines:
- SNES9x Next (Super Nintendo)
- FCEUmm (Nintendo NES)
- Final Burn Alpha (0.2.97.26 - latest version - arcade)
- Gambatte (Game Boy/Game Boy Color)
- Genesis Plus GX (Sega Genesis/Sega Master System/Sega Game Gear)
- VBA Next (Game Boy Advance)
- PrBoom (Doom 1/Doom 2/Ultimate Doom/Final Doom)
RETROARCH PS3 - 0.9.6
RetroConsole Level 2
Themaister, Squarepusher/Twin Aphex
After over half a year of development (well, slightly more) and lots of preparation work, we can finally present you with RetroArch for PlayStation 3.
HOW TO INSTALL THIS
ON DEBUG PS3
Put the PKG file 'retroarch-ps3-v0.9.6-debug.pkg' on your USB stick, put it in your PS3. Go to the PS3 XMB - go to the Game tab - Select 'Install Packages', and install the PKG file.
ON CFW PS3
Put the PKG file 'retroarch-ps3-v0.9.6-cfw.pkg' on your USB stick. Put it in your CFW PS3. Go to the PS3 XMB - go to the Game tab -
select 'Install Packages', and install the PKG file.
ON CFW Kmeaw PS3:
Put the PKG file 'retroarch-ps3-v0.9.6-cfw-kmeaw.pkg' on your USB stick. Put it in your CFW PS3. Go to the PS3 XMB - go to the Game tab - select 'Install Packages', and install the PKG file.
HOW TO USE THIS
On first startup, RetroArch will select one of the dozen or so emulator/game cores. The name of the core currently loaded will be shown at the top side of the screen.
You can now select a ROM that this core supports and load it in the Filebrowser.
To select a different core in the menu - press Select to go to the Settings screen. From here, go to the 'Retro tab', and select 'Default emulator core'. Press X to go to a filebrowser where you can select a different core. Press X to confirm, then exit RetroArch. Start up again to boot up to the new emulator core.
To change to a different core ingame - press R3 to bring up the 'Quick Menu'. Select 'Change libretro core'. Press X to go to a filebrowser where you can select a different core.
During ingame operation you can do some extra actions:
- Right Thumb Stick - Down - Fast-forwards the game
- Right Thumb Stick - Up - Rewinds the game in real-time
- ('Rewind' has to be enabled in the 'Settings' screen - warning - comes at a slight performance decrease but will be worth it if you love this feature)
- RStick Left + R2 - Decrease save state slot
- Rtick Right + R2 - Increase save state slot
- RStick Up + R2 - Load selected save state slot
- RStick Down + R2 - Save selected save state slot
- L3 + R3 - Go back to 'Menu'/'Quick Menu'
WHAT IS RETROARCH?
RetroArch is a modular multi-system emulator system that is designed to be fast, lightweight and portable. It has features few other emulator frontends have, such as real-time rewinding and game-aware shading.
WHAT IS LIBRETRO?
Libretro is the API that RetroArch uses. It makes it easy to port games and emulators to a single core backend, such as RetroArch.
For the user, this means - more ports to play with, more crossplatform portability, less worrying about developers having to reinvent the wheel writing boilerplate UI/port code - so that they can get busy with writing the emulator/porting the emulator/game.
WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL?
Right now it's unique in that it runs the same emulator cores on multiple systems (such as Xbox 360, PS3, PC, Wii, etc).
For each emulator 'core', RetroArch makes use of a library API that we like to call 'libretro'.
Think of libretro as an interface for emulator and game ports. You can make a libretro port once and expect the same code to run on all the platforms that RetroArch supports. It's designed with simplicity and ease of use in mind so that the porter can worry about the port at hand instead of having to wrestle with an obfuscatory API.
The purpose of libretro is to help ease the work of the emulator/game porter by giving him an API that allows him to target multiple
platforms at once without having to redo any code. He doesn't have to worry about writing input/video/audio drivers - all of that is
supplied to him by RetroArch. All he has to do is to have the emulator port hook into the libretro API and that's it - we take care of the rest.
PLAYSTATION 3 PORT
The PS3 port of RetroArch is the most developed of the two right now. It has all the features the standalone PS3 emulators had, with the addition of:
- Game-aware shading in every emulator now (*)
- Real-time rewinding
- More shader features (motion blurring, etc)
- Switching between emulator cores seamlessly, and ability to install new libretro cores
Included with RetroArch PS3 are a bunch of shaders - including the latest versions of the popular xBR shader. It is possible to use two shaders simultaneously to get the best possible graphical look.
* Check out Opium2k's manual shaders for Zelda 3 and others - you can find DLC packs for RetroArch at this site: https://code.google.com/p/retro-arch/
EMULATOR/GAME CORES GBUNDLED WITH PS3 PORT
The following emulators have been ported to RetroArch and are included in the first PS3 release of RetroArch:
- Final Burn Alpha (Arcade - various) [version 0.2.97.26]
- FCEUmm (Nintendo Entertainment System) [recent SVN version] (*)
- Gambatte (Game Boy | Super Game Boy | Game Boy Color) [version 0.5.0 WIP]
- Genesis Plus GX (Sega SG-1000 | Master System | Game Gear | Genesis/Mega Drive) [version 1.6.0] (**)
- SNES9x Next (Super Nintendo/Super Famicom)
- VBA Next (Game Boy Advance)
- Prboom (for playing Doom 1/Doom 2/Ultimate Doom/Final Doom)
All of the emulators listed above are the latest versions currently available. Most of them have been specifically optimized so that they will run better on PS3 (some games would not reach fullspeed without these optimizations).
* This port was previously called FCEU Next.
** This port was previously called Genesis Next.
WHAT EXTENSIONS ARE SUPPORTED BY EACH CORE
- Prboom: WAD|wad
- SNES9x Next: smc|fig|sfc|gd3|gd7|dx2|bsx|swc|zip|SMC|FIG|SFC|BS X|GD3|GD7|DX2|SWC
- Genesis Plus GX: md|smd|bin|gen|zip|MD|SMD|bin|GEN|ZIP|sms|SMS|gg|G G|sg|SG
- VBA Next: GBA|gba
- FCEUmm: nes|NES|unif|UNIF
- Gambatte: gb|gbc|dmg|zip|GB|GBC|DMG|ZIP
- Final Burn Alpha: zip|ZIP
FOR EACH CORE (except for Final Burn Alpha): When you press 'X' on a ZIP file in the File Browser, its contents will be extracted to the /dev_hdd1/ partition. From there, you can load the ROM and play.
FOR Final Burn Alpha: Selecting a ZIP file from the Filebrowser will load that game directly.
What can you expect in the future?
- A public release of RetroArch Wii that is on the level of RetroArch PS3/RetroArch 360
- An official Android port of RetroArch (no, no App Store 'fee' - 'free' as in beer AND as in libre)
- Port of NxEngine to libretro - runs Cave Story (PC version is already done, now for the consoles...)
- Port of MAME 0.72 to libretro
- Port of VICE to libretro
- Port of ScummVM to libretro
- More emulators, more games that will run on RetroArch
- Lots of other crazy ideas that might or might not pan out
- Mudlord for his Waterpaint/Noise shaders.
- Hyllian for the xBR shader.
- Opium2k for the nice manual shaders (bundled with PS3 release).
- Deank for assistance with RetroArch Salamander on CFW PS3s and Multiman interoperability.
- FBA devs for adopting the libretro port.
- Ekeeke for help with the Genesis Plus GX port.
Opium2K DLC for RetroArch: code.google.com/p/retro-arch/
IRC: #retroarch (freenode)
Would like to give you some additional info been playing with this for about 6-8 weeks now.. I tested about 30 doom wads and these are the working ones i found..
- prBoom (Playable Wads tested)
- Chex Quest
- Ultimate FreeDoom (Playable from Ep. #2, will crash on Ep. #1)
- Doom3: Mr. Smiley Head's Safari
- Duke Nukem Total Conv. for Doom2
- Goldeneye 007 Total Conv.
Genesis Plus GX
- Sega SG-1000
- Sega Game Gear
- Sega Master System
- Sega Genesis
- Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)
- Nintendo Famcom Disk System
Final Burn Alpha V0.2.97.24 (Unconfirmed FBA list)
- Capcom CPS-1
- Capcom CPS-2
- Capcom CPS-3
- Neo-Geo MVS/AES
- Sega System 16A
- Sega System 16B
- Sega System 18
- Sega X-Board
- Sega Y-Board
- Psikyo 68EC020 Based Hardware
- PC-Engine/Tg-16 (??)
- SuperGrafx (??)
Also, Please NOTE the FBA ROMset is synced with the latest MAME ROMset (Affects NEO-GEO/CPS-1/CPS-2/CPS-3) Others Arcade boards should be fine.. Now I am not 100% sure but i believe this version of FBA 0.2.97.26 will emulate TurboGrafx16 / PC-Engine/Supergrafx. Please Note this info is from testing unofficial Builds.
Included Cores: (via github.com/Themaister/RetroArch/commit/2a9441d411425fd578d00d5ed4b030c3b8a373b3 commit)
RetroArch 0.9.7 RC1 - (via github.com/Themaister/RetroArch/commit/0890fced4be2909508cca0ae1e0f7f3add05c3e3 commit)
- Snes9x Next - Super Nintendo
- FCEU_MM - Nintendo Famicom / NES
- Gambatte - Gameboy & Gameboy Color
- VBA Next - Gameboy Advance
- Final Burn Alpha - Arcade
- PR-Boom - Doom, Doom 2 etc.
- Genesis-Plus-GX 1.7 - Sega Genesis / Megadrive, Master System, Game Gear, SG1000 & Sega CD / Mega CD
- iMame4All - Arcade (Based on Mame 0.37b5)
- Mednafen_PCE_fast - NEC PC-Engine / Turbo Grafix 16 & CD, Super Grafx
- Mednafen_wswan - Bandai Wonderswan
Bugs & Issues
- iMame4All and Mednafen_PCE are WIP and some bugs / issues do exist.
- With both of these cores, they will crash if you try to load a ROM while a ROM is running. To get round this issue, when you want to change the game / ROM, Press R3 then select "Change Libretro Core" and reselect the core.
- Save States are also not working on iMame4All and Mednafen_PCE at the moment.
Notes on PRBOOM and related files:
- You need to put PRBOOM.WAD (Mirror: http://www.mediafire.com/?6c9ji7xli5iam6a) in the same folder as the DOOM WAD files.
- Music playback is only with MP3.
- You may experience a crash when changing WADs, Select change "LibRetro Core" from the in game menu and select PRBOOM.SELF instead of just loading the WAD.
- It is compatible with Doom, Doom2, Plutonia and TNT.
- Some custom WADs are working, here's a WAD Pack by STLcardsWS.
- Final Burn Alpha - Based on version 0.2.97.26. Make sure you have the right ROMs or you will have problems.
- Genesis-Plus-GX - Sega CD Emulation requires a sega cd bios in the same folder as your ISO / BIN files. The BIOS ROM files be named bios_CD_J.bin (Japan), bios_CD_U.bin (US) and bios_CD_E.bin (Europe)
- Mednafen_PCE - PCEngine / Turbo Grafix CD Emulation requires the BIOS to be in the same folder as the ROM you are trying to load. It needs to be named syscard3.pce
- iMame4All - Based on Mame Version 0.37b5, again make sure you have the right romset.
IMPORTANT INFO ABOUT BIOS AND CD PLAY from BahumatLord
All bios files need to be placed in /dev_hdd0/game/SSNE10000/USRDIR/cores/system
For Sega CD the bios files must be named EXACTLY like listed below
- European BIOS = bios_CD_E.bin
- Japanese BIOS = bios_CD_J.bin
- USA BIOS = bios_CD_U.bin
As of right now I've only tested 2 bios files from the No-Intro set. The first is 1.00 which is the very first model and the second is 2.11X which is from the very last model.
Unfortunately, CD Audio Track support is not working 100%. I loaded Sonic CD and can play the game flawlessly, but the soundtrack does not play. I will check other games later tonight. It could be related to the PREGAP line in the CUE sheet. Not all games will use that line.
It has been suggested that loading BIN/CUE files by selecting the CUE file will break the emulator causing you to need to reinstall. I have not run into that problem yet. I believe it's due to the CUE sheet containing a line at the very top containing the word CATALOG. Some programs add this line but it is completely unnecessary.
Make sure your CUE file contains only lines starting with FILE, PREGAP, TRACK, or INDEX. You can edit it with any text editor like notepad. You should also make sure that the file line points to the EXACT name of the BIN file. Case is important!!
To demonstrate the capabilities of Retro Arch and more specifically maister's manual reader shader I've been working on some implementations for the past couple months to show off just a taste of some of this shader's uses.
Pages of the manual are changed by the user with a key combination of (enter+Q or W) on PC and (Start+L1 or R1) on PS3. The biggest limitation of the shader is your imagination. As demonstrated in the videos below, it can be used for things such as maps, guides, instruction manuals, cheats, passwords, etc.
Additionally, the dimensions, positions and number of pages are completely customizable. For example, the Mortal Kombat 1 example is only 8 pages while the Chrono Trigger one is 136!
Due to restrictions on the PS3 I've created two versions for each download. The PC versions are better quality and zipped. The PS3 versions are smaller and in .PKG files. I haven't tested them on any other systems but you're welcome to try.
All-in-One Pack - http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/RA-all%20in%20one.pkg | http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/all-in-one%20pack.zip
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past Maps (SNES) - http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/RA-a%20link%20to%20the%20past%20maps.pkg | http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/zelda-reader.zip
Bubble Bobble Passwords (NES) - http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/RA-bubble%20bobble%20passwords.pkg | http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/bubble%20bobble%20pws-reader.zip
Chrono Trigger Strategy Guide (SNES) - http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/RA-chrono%20trigger%20guide.pkg | http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/chrono-reader.zip
Mortal Kombat 1 Moves List (SNES) - http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/RA-mortal%20kombat%201%20moveslist.pkg | http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/MK1-reader.zip
Street Fighter 2 Turbo Moves List (SNES) - http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/RA-street%20fighter%202%20moveslist.pkg | http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/sf2-reader.zip
X-Men: Children of the Atom Moves List (FBA) - http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/RA-xmen%20CotA%20moveslist.pkg | http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/CotA-reader.zip
Bubble Bobble Manual (Gameboy) - http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/RA-bubble%20bobble%20manual.pkg | http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/bubble%20bobble-reader.zip
Final Fantasy 3 Manual (SNES) - http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/RA-final%20fantasy%203%20manual.pkg | http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/FF3-reader.zip
Golden Axe Warrior Manual (SMS) - http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/RA-golden%20axe%20warrior%20manual.pkg | http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/golden%20axe%20warrior-reader.zip
Harvest Moon Manual (SNES) - http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/RA-harvest%20moon%20manual.pkg | http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/harvestmoon-reader.zip
Kirby's Dreamland 3 Manual (SNES) - http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/RA-kirby%20dreamland%203%20manual.pkg | http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/kirbyDL3-reader.zip
Kirby Superstar Manual (SNES) - http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/RA-kirby%20superstar%20manual.pkg | http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/kirbySS-reader.zip
Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Manual (Gameboy Color) - http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/RA-links%20awakening%20manual.pkg | http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/links%20awakening-reader.zip
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga Manual (Gameboy Advance) - http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/RA-mario%20luigi%20superstar%20saga%20manual.pkg | http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/superstar%20saga-reader.zip
Megaman 7 Manual (SNES) - http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/RA-megaman%207%20manual.pkg | http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/MM7-reader.zip
Megaman X1 Manual (SNES) - http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/RA-megaman%20x1%20manual.pkg | http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/MMx1-reader.zip
Megaman X2 Manual (SNES) - http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/RA-megaman%20x2%20manual.pkg | http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/MMx2-reader.zip
Megaman X3 Manual (SNES) - http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/RA-megaman%20x3%20manual.pkg | http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/MMx3-reader.zip
Mortal Kombat 2 Manual (SNES) - http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/RA-mortal%20kombat%202%20manual.pkg | http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/MK2-reader.zip
Mystical Ninja Manual (SNES) - http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/RA-mystical%20ninja%20manual.pkg | http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/mysticalninja-reader.zip
Out of this World Manual (SNES) - http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/RA-out%20of%20this%20world%20manual.pkg | http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/ootw-reader.zip
Road Rash Manual (Gamegear) - http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/RA-road%20rash%20manual.pkg | http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/road%20rash-reader.zip
Streets of Rage 1 Manual (Genesis) - http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/RA-streets%20of%20rage%20manual.pkg | http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/SoR-reader.zip
Super Gameboy Manual (SNES) - http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/RA-super%20gameboy%20manual.pkg | http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/superGB-reader.zip
Super Mario Bros 3 Manual (NES) - http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/RA-mario%203%20manual.pkg | http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/mario3-reader.zip
Super Mario RPG Manual (SNES) - http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/RA-mario%20rpg%20handbook.pkg | http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/marioRPG-reader.zip
Super Mario World Manual (SNES) - http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/RA-mario%20world%20manual.pkg | http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/SMW-reader.zip
WWF Raw Manual (SNES) - http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/RA-wwf%20raw%20manual.pkg | http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/WWFraw-reader.zip
X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse Manual (SNES) - http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/RA-xmen%20mutant%20apocalypse%20manual.pkg | http://retro-arch.googlecode.com/files/Xmen-reader.zip
- Unzip a reader to the directory of your choosing.
- Open retroarch-phoenix.exe and navigate to Settings>Video
- Next to Shader/Filter Settings click Open
- Next to Cg pixel shader click browse
- Navigate to where you unzipped the shader folder and select name_of_shader.cgp
- Back in the main Retro Arch Window click the large Start Retro Arch button
- -ENTER+Q / ENTER+W are used to change pages
- Place the PKG file on external media such as a flash drive
- Install the PKG on your PS3 from the Install Package Files menu
- Run Retro Arch and select the rom you want to play
- Open the Menu by pressing L3+R3
- Press Select to access the settings
- Highlight Shader Preset (CGP) and press X
- Navigate to: /dev_hdd0/game/SSNES10000/USRDIR/cores/presets/name_of_shader/
- Select manual_reader.cgp (it will take 5-30 seconds to load)
- Press L3+R3 again to exit the menu and resume playing your game
- -START+L1 / START+R1 are used to change pages
Finally, below are some unofficial builds from pete_uk
These builds are unofficial as they were compiled by myself from the RetroArch (github.com/Themaister/RetroArch) and LibRetro (github.com/libretro) Git's. Install the official version and then update it using the PKG attached below.
Download: RetroArch PS3 CFW v0.9.6 Kmeaw PKG
- (PS3) Set Makefile for PS3 RGL back to SNC as default compiler
- (PS3) Removed ps3_video_psgl.h
- (PS3) Refactored some code - added 5x scale
- (libretro) J-CART multiplayer now working (Micro Machines, other Codemasters games, etc.)
- (libretro) working two-player controls
: Here is PS3 RetroArch CEX v0.9.7 RC2 mM 20120821 with 10 emulator cores compiled by me (for CEX/CFW PS3s only):
- All cores (except for iMame4all) are supported in the upcoming mM 04.05.00 (Retro/mmOS).
- "Return to multiMAN" option in InGame menu now works (thanks Squarepusher/Twinaplex)
- Pressing "UP" in InGame menu goes to last option of the list for faster selection
- The upcoming ZIP support in mM allows loading any zipped rom from mM
- Coverart for the new types of ROMs is also supported
- You'll be able to load ROMs from network PC (zipped, too)
- Recompiled WSWAN and removed iMame (twinaplex suggestion) for Rev A.
More PlayStation 3 News