Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

PS3 Registry xRegistry.sys File Editor is Released

Sponsored Links
    Today stoker25 has released a PS3 Registry xRegistry.sys File Editor. The registry file (xRegistry.sys) is located in dev_flash2/etc/ and a backup located in dev_flash/etc/backup.

Download: PS3 Registry xRegistry.sys File Editor v0.7 / PS3 Registry xRegistry.sys File Editor v0.75

To quote: PS3 JailBreak is awesome, especially because it works on my phone decided to tinker with some of the PS3?s files, xRegistry.sys in particular because it holds important things like debug mode switches and bluray/dvd region, along with your PSN login details (unencrypted!) and other little tidbits.

v0.7 changelog:

+ Changed the setting label to readonly textbox
    + Added trimming of null bytes to setting values
    + Added Wikitext exporting (not much info)
    + Added text file exporting (loads of info)
    * Fixed a bug on the first entry, i don't think it needs to be loaded, so that fixes it

v0.75 changelog:
    + Sortable columns :)
    + Integers are now output as hex
    + Added a check to make sure file is loaded to everything
    + Added Halp! menu for some things people might not know about

XRegistry File Format (ps3wiki.lan.st/index.php/XRegistry_File_Format)

The xRegistry.sys file, located in /dev_flash2/etc/ (with a backup located at /dev_flash2/etc/backup) is a file used by the PS3 as a settings registry, which holds loads of different settings used by the system to enable/disable functions and to hold settings such as Playstation Network login details (which are unencrypted), the names and details of devices attached to the Playstation and more.

The file should be read starting from the data section, with a filename entry being read after each data entry. Then read the filename entry table after to determine settings with no data.

Header
    The file's header consists of a 0x10 byte static header (real structure unknown), and a table of setting filename entries.

Static Header

[Register or Login to view code]

Filename Entries

The entries continue until the entry id is 0xAABBCCDD and the value is 0xEE, these values indicate it's the end of the table.

Entry Data
    The entry data begins at 0xFFF0. There is a 2 byte marker here indicating it's the data section (0x4D26), continued by a table of data entries.

Data Entries

Settings
    The settings are pretty cryptic in name, you might not notice anything after changing one. If you do notice a change please add to this table.

PDB file format (ps3wiki.lan.st/index.php/PDB_file_format)

So, there's a .pdb file format used by the PS3 to specify tasks that it needs to do. They are stored in /dev_hdd0/vsh/task/ and in directories that seem to be 00000001, 00000002, etc..

Each directory represents a task and each task is defined by a couple of .pdb files. I believe pdb means package database, since the only place where these files appear is in /dev_hdd0/vsh/task and they seem to represent a .pkg download.

There will always be a 00000001/ directory with no .pkg file in it. I suppose it's there to represent another task the PS3 has to do (maybe the 'check for push downloads' for PSN+ users?), and I suggest never to mess with it.

Every other directory seems to represent a .pkg file that is being downloaded or has been downloaded (but not installed) through PSN. In each directory you should find the .pkg, a PNG image to show (filename ICON_FILE), and two or three .pdb files (d0.pdb and d1.pdb and an empty f0.pdb, which may or may not be there).

Header
    The file starts with a 4 byte magic of 0x00000000

Data Entries

Here are some entries that have been observed (in the order seen on file). I will first document the task 1, then pkg tasks :

Note that it doesn't look like the 00000001/ task pdb values change depending on the number of tasks available.

Here are the values seen in a game task :

The values are different from the 00000001/ task, but they seem consistent for all .pkg tasks. The value of 0x00000068 is the only one that changes, and it's either 0 in one file or in the other (d0.pdb vs. d1.pdb), never both, and always one.

Also, Here are the values that only appeared in the pkg tasks, they come right after the above KLLVs. Note that all variable lengths mean it's a string and that it includes a trailing 0x00 in the string :

This is all the information we have so far.. unfortunately, since Sony decided to block access to PSN, we can't test more downloading, so it's hard to get new .pdb files, and so it's hard to extrapolate more.

PS3 Registry xRegistry.sys File Editor is Released

More PlayStation 3 News...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Doesn't open my xRegistry.sys. "Failed to load setting". Not going to send the guy my file as requested in the readme.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    one step closer to go'n on PSN and maybe even keep not install jailbreak every time on start up. Though i know we ain't exactly close to either but i have high hopes for the ps3 now!

Quote Originally Posted by d3adliner View Post
    Doesn't open my xRegistry.sys. "Failed to load setting". Not going to send the guy my file as requested in the readme.
    I removed his insulting reply here, but he has updated it to v0.7 to fix this so I added that to the first post.

Great. Version 0.7 works fine for me. Keep on !

Well it works, another cool tool. Watch out, some passwords are visible in the registry.

I can see wpaKey from friends wireless connection and saved passwords in the registry. :-)

Yeh get my Jailbreak tomorrow, What a Voyage of Discovery it will be especially with this beauty...

TY

There's so many options so many mods so much power! Come on people lets experiment and figure out what they all do! I'm a total newb but you think this could lead to OC the Cell or at least trick PSN to log us in or not upload that log file.

What exactly are the potentials of this and/or limits?
    Last edited by skotosa; 09-20-2010 at 06:50 PM

Thank you for the gr8 app, at least now we know where are the reg values responsible of the BR regions... ect... Keep the good work guys

Nice tool. I'm gonna try fooling around with some of the settings and see if anything interesting occurs.

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News