Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    thanks for the link boss, that version will never run on PS3 properly though. He compiles it with hardware accel disabled. It'll allow it to compile and run all be it slowly but no matter how much cpu power you throw at it xbmc wont run properly without hardware acceleration that supports openGL (PS3 RSX is OpenGL ES 1.1 but that isnt a major issue).

If an RSX driver or even a work around based on nvidia 7 series gpus surfaces it would be a game changer but at the minute you're never going to get XBMC running at an acceptable framerate regardless of how many spu's you throw at it.

[Register or Login to view links]

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    and barry is right, posts on websites are misleading, graf chokolo will not bring us a driver. After checking nvidia's website for any "recent" as in any gpu 8 years old or newer ppc driver and coming up short and nouveau's lack of a proper 3d driver for quite a few years now we have no chance for a driver. welcome back crappy otheros.

I could be wrong but unless talented devs figure out what kind of os gameos is (it has to be a custom derivitive of somthing even if it is very custom) and reverses and rewrites its driver (back to 1% chance of having a driver) we are waiting for nothing.

who knows, maybe sony won't use nvidia for the ps4 and a petition for a driver won't just fall on deaf ears.

Sponsored Links

Wink

Sponsored Links
    Is there a ready made 3.41 CFW that can boot Linux as well as custom made (full hardware access patched) Linux image hosted somewhere ??

I wish there was some sticky and single updated post, that would point the latest and greatest firmware available out there:
    The table can go on the lines of
    [HTML]
    Firmware Name & Link | Homebrew(Y/N) | Dongle(Y/N) | Linux(Y/N) | Spoofing
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    PS3News_3.41CFW.pup Y N Y 3.55
    [/HTML]

Thank you both for your input on the XMBC idea, and I think we can all agree that XBMC can run on a PS3, but run like windows media classic on a old 286 sx, unless we can use all the cores.

I understood it needed to be ported correctly to use all the cores and the GPu, but just thought, if it runs on a Xbox1 with a 700MHz ish CPU, and only able to access the 1st 64 megs of mem,then even if we could only use one of the cores on the PS3, it will still run better and faster than an Xbox1.

Anyway thanks, I'll give up on the xbmc, and wait to see how Linux pans out, I am interested that no one seems to talk about YDL, seeing it was created for Sony way back then, is there any drivers that would work for the GPu in their distro? because I was on the understanding YDL would run at 1080 and use all the cores, then it must have the right drivers back then, their must be a DEV that can package it up so we can install it.

I was even wondering if it was posable to ftp the files needed for linux to the ps3 the use a eboot to call up the bootloader. Sorry am I dreaming again,

Ok, reverse engineering the graphics card drivers (gpu) isn't impossible. Please check out x.org foundations sites. Nouveau is one example in linux. it's open source solution for nvidia gpu's... RSX is somewhat same as nvidia 7800, it's possible to run drivers in ppc linux... just check the git.

so XMBC is also doable and portable, madshaun did it apx. year ago. just put in hardware accelerated video with mesa/gallium and we're set... RSX needs some attention i think but it's coming...
    Last edited by kopsu; 02-09-2011 at 06:17 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I was having a glance over the RSX-Users_Manual from PS3_SDKDoc-230_01, and if someone knows what there doing, I don't think it will be to long before someone cracks it, because all the Sony Dev tools are out there, with pdf's to show you how to use it for 3rd partys "thanks Sony" so its just a matter of time, me thinks.

Make your own Debian LiveCD by Glevand

Make your own Debian LiveCD by Glevand (via ps3devwiki.com/wiki/Debian_LiveCD)

Sometimes we need to boot Linux without HDD e.g. if you want to experiment with HDD encryption, enable/disable it without causing damage to your data. For such cases we need a LiveCD which doesn't mount HDD at boot.

Creating Initial System with debootstrap

[Register or Login to view code]

Creating Root Filesystem

Modifying Root Filesystem

Linux 3 Kernel

We need a Linux 3 kernel with overlayfs support so we could create a tmpfs over our read-only base filesystem.
    Furthermore, we want to compile PS3 HDD driver as module because in this case we can easily change HDD region flags.
    See my GIT repos:

• gitorious.ps3dev.net/ps3linux/kernel-configs
    • gitorious.ps3dev.net/ps3linux/kernel-patches-34
    • gitorious.ps3dev.net/ps3linux/kernel-patches-35
    • gitorious.ps3dev.net/ps3linux/livecd

• We need a couple of user-space applications to mount filesystems, load kernel modules and so on.
    • And make sure you compile BusyBox without any library dependencies.
    • I compiled my BusyBox executable on PS3 Linux but you could cross-compile it too but then you need a complete PowerPC toolchain with libc.

Creating the Image

Images

• vmlinux-3.5.3.xz: [Register or Login to view links] (MD5 2da491cd3a213cab41797216ef0a2332)
    • root.sfs: [Register or Login to view links] (MD5 e402b631c8317166367f28785c65ba6c)
    • Tools available on the root filesystem: gcc, spu-gcc, spuisofs, spuldrfs, ps3vuart-tools, ps3sed and all my other PS3 Linux drivers. Everything you need to compile and test various PS3 stuff.
    • In case someone still hasn't figured it out yet, password for root is root and password for glevand is glevand
    • I enabled DHCP on Ethernet.
    • You could use WLAN too but for that you have to modify the root filesystem and configure your SSID and PSK in /etc/network/interfaces.

USB

• Your USB drive should be formatted with FAT32 filesystem.
    • initramfs-usb.cpio.gz: [Register or Login to view links] (MD5 c8ae892b68dfd7078415a4a52c440f39)
    • Create debianlive directory on your USB drive.
    • Put vmlinux-3.5.3 (extract xz archive), initramfs.cpio.gz and root.sfs into this directory.

And create kboot.conf in the root directory of your USB drive with this content:

CDROM

• initramfs-cdrom.cpio.gz: [Register or Login to view links] (MD5 7b1899301bae7e17be6e16e3d0bd9803)
    • debianlive.iso.xz: [Register or Login to view links] (MD5 d03993d0ea6d6f37c85585d6e8d9506e)

Do you need a working optical drive, or can it be done from usb?

Glevand Releases WLAN Access Point with PS3 Jupiter (Slim)

Glevand Releases WLAN Access Point with PS3 Jupiter (Slim)

Introduction

• WLAN AP driver for PS3 Jupiter (slim only)
    • Please report bugs and problems to me (Glevand)

Features

• 802.11bg support
    • Wireless Extension interface
    • WEP, WPA1 and WPA2 support (work in progress)

PS3 Jupiter Driver

Source code: gitorious.ps3dev.net/ps3linux/ps3jupiter

Compiling

You can compile it on PS3 Linux or cross-compile on a Linux PC
    But first you have to build a Linux kernel from source.

Configuration

• For configuration you need wireless-tools: iwconfig and so on.

Test

• Tested on my PS3 Slim with Linux kernel 3.5.3 and Debian
    • Tested with no security

Testing AP Mode with libusb
    • No kernel drivers are involved
    • Easier to test than with Linux kernel drivers
    • I use it to test new and unknown commands
    • Source code: gitorious.ps3dev.net/ps3linux/ps3jupiter_libusb
    • You need a patched Linux 3.2 kernel too

Quote Originally Posted by jbj View Post
    Do you need a working optical drive, or can it be done from usb?
    A USB will do fine. In the USB section of the post you will find what to do.
    Last edited by Foo; 09-16-2012 at 01:59 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

i am very curious too, i'll follow this thread with great interest!

Sponsored Links

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News