Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

PS3 last core activation hack

Sponsored Links
    i know that not all of the cores of the processor are enabled..

is there any hack to enable it?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Not likely. What good would it do to enable it?

The last core is disabled because there's a good chance it's defective. Even if it wasn't, none of the games or other software would use it as a normal non-hacked PS3 wouldn't have the additional core.

My guess is the core is laser cut to physically separate the defective one from the rest of the CPU which would mean it could never be enabled.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    well, if it's just disabled would be good to enable it. If the games were programed right, the lunch several threads to run on the available SPE's and if there's one more available, one more thread could be running. I _hope_ they don't program the games to lunch threads on specific SPE's.....

it could be quite possible the its not actually disabled but rather has an alternate use... such as decryption storage etc....second i see no reason to create a CPU and then laser cut it off waste of time.. if it were defective than its a cast off of making true cell be chips these being the cheaper more defective models than their big brothers...than again the former ibm developer just did an interview and clearly stated that the cell in the ps3 has 8 spu's not 7?? so who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by H4rdWear View Post
    it could be quite possible the its not actually disabled but rather has an alternate use... such as decryption storage etc....second i see no reason to create a CPU and then laser cut it off waste of time.. if it were defective than its a cast off of making true cell be chips these being the cheaper more defective models than their big brothers...than again the former ibm developer just did an interview and clearly stated that the cell in the ps3 has 8 spu's not 7?? so who knows?
    I think you're on the right track with this. For a failure rate to be so high that 1 core per chip is disabled would be insane. And it would be pretty common to see a chip with 2 or 3 defective cores if that were the case. And the amount of testing it would take to determine which core to disable wouldn't be worth the time either. It just doesn't make a lot of sense..

It is true that on a PC we generally write code that is not core-specific. This is mainly due to the fact that PCs are so diverse that one cannot assume a PC now or in the future will only have a certain number of cores, or that it will run at a certain clock speed.

However, on a console one can make these assumptions. So there may be some extra speed gain by carefully assigning the threads to a specific core. Therefore, it's not certainly the case that there would be a speed increase by activating this "hidden core," but I think in at least some cases it would help...

disabled SPE

One SPE is "locked out" during manufacturing so that they don't have to throw out chips that have a bad SPE. It doesn't mean that one SPE will always be bad. They just do it to lower the number of chips that they have to throw out.

I don't know if this is specific to PS3 CBE chips or CBE in general.

I doubt that unlocking the locked SPE would be beneficial. If anything it would cause more problems than it's worth. Because the number of SPEs is fixed, there is no reason to allow for dynamic SPE discovery. You're not locking tasks to a particular SPE, but you're going to be making some assumptions in the code. It would either have no effect, or could cause some games to crash or run erratically.

My $0.02.

Sponsored Links
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News