Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by lonix81 View Post
    i thought the firmware was on the hdd?
    No it's a Nand Flash chip, just like the psp, except it's a lot bigger

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I dono belife that some PS3 "unique" key will be send.
    So the app is a PC Win app and it will be used from PC.There is no one single data or anything else from the ps3 that will be send to sony.

There are a JIG reg file first to be entered.Than company,your name and your email addy.
    Ok company name: Sony know who works for them and this will be the first step to show if this company is registrated by sony.

Your name: second step sony shows IF a mister "Xyzzy" will work for the registrated company.
    Your mail addy: Maybe the mail addy of you in the company you work.Again a scurity step to verify you.
    At last: The JIG reg file itself.Idono belife that the jig first is put into the ps3 to get this reg_______.jig.So if the jig is only a device than a second medium will be needed to transfare the data from the PS3 to PC and if the second usb port (on newer ps3īs) will be broken they are screwed.I belife that the reg file is given with the soft.Its one of the first security checks nothing more.

So if you get hands on the app you cant do alot without the reg file.But if you get hands on the tool and the reg file you still can not get a vaild registared reg file becouse your not a SCE company.

And dont forget what the JIG will do.Its a tool to repair/unbrick a PS3 console.That would be the same if the savemii dongle need to get the per console uniqu key to run.Ok its a total other security system but its not logical.Only think the moment now and let us think that the ps3 will give here unique key to the jig would this not be a mature security whole?

Becouse this moment the console only send here private-key and to snief it out would be not so a problem i think.And if the OS is broken its (i think) also not possible that the console load data from jig into ram and sign it with becouse (i belive) the importend keys does not left here place and as long the OS is broken the console do not a lot.Mainly nothing.Waiting to getting repaired

But i belive and trust in the talented and best deverīs in the console scene...the ps3news devīs

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by Madell View Post
    No it's a Nand Flash chip, just like the psp, except it's a lot bigger
    Is that really the case? I backed up and replaced my ps3 HDD recently and it needed a firmware file to be on the HDD before it would restore the backup. It basically had to reinstall the firmware after the HDD that was in it before was gone.

Quote Originally Posted by semitope View Post
    Is that really the case? I backed up and replaced my ps3 HDD recently and it needed a firmware file to be on the HDD before it would restore the backup. It basically had to reinstall the firmware after the HDD that was in it before was gone.
    Depends on the model, new PS3's has the majority of system code on the Hard Disk (hense, the format) old models (60/20 and some 80's) have it all on board on flash. New systems just have a tiny 16MB flash, enough for the bootloader, and a few other important things, and let the rest boot off HDD (and no, its signed, crypted, the whole chain of trust thing goes along with it etc)

Hasn't it been said those 2 connectors are just power connectors?

I've had a few PS3's in bits and have seen them plenty of times. One is from the PSU to supply the Wifi/Bluetooth board, and the other is the power supply for the BDROM drive...

Quote Originally Posted by mushy409 View Post
    Hasn't it been said those 2 connectors are just power connectors?

I've had a few PS3's in bits and have seen them plenty of times. One is from the PSU to supply the Wifi/Bluetooth board, and the other is the power supply for the BDROM drive...
    yes its already been stated, but you never know if they have something to do with it. i know for example the first step to get the psp into a jig routine was to have a special battery connected to the power circuit.

Arrow

Sorry if I ruin the fun guys, but that picture of the application looks fishy.
    Sony wouldn't use incorrect capitalization on their programs, and on top of that, it wouldn't be that simple as 4 boxes.

Matter of fact you'd have to write in your PS3 Model, Serial #, etc in order to create the right jig.

All PS3's don't have the same hardware info, so the program would be HIGHLY more complicated than that. That looks pretty fake, and there are no actual jig pictures to back it up, so I'm not buying it.

If anyone can prove to me otherwise, I have my idea and it will stay like that.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ionbladez View Post
    Sorry if I ruin the fun guys, but that picture of the application looks fishy.

If anyone can prove to me otherwise, I have my idea and it will stay like that.
    Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

That being said, mine is that it's 100% legitimate based on other (non-public) material I've had access to... however, there is currently no way to prove it as you mentioned (until the source wishes to leak more publically) so for now I'd say it's best to just let them do their thing and see what develops.

Keep in mind though, even if the best-case scenario ever happened (converting Retail PS3 consoles to Debug consoles) it would essentially be no different than buying them now...

Debug consoles have sold as cheap as $500 on our BST Forum recently, and the reason they dropped so much in price is because most have now realized they are not all they are cracked up to be unless you have access to lots of Sony $DK stuff and can actually code yourself.

Edit: LOL that idiot Pirate just stole (without crediting the source) the JIG ID that was 1 digit off we posted.

Any news on this or the refence tool?

The reference tool is off-topic for this thread, and will only be discussed in our PS3 Dev area. I'm sure CJ will post some updates as time permits, but right now he's quite busy.

As for this JIG stuff, yesterday SKFU told CJPC that he's also been busy with work (I believe meaning real-life work, not JIG-related) so unless the leaker tests or leaks more (pics, files) it's probably not going anywhere fast.

What we really need, that would bring forth a lot more progress than the JIG stuff, is a PS3 CECHL Service Manual. We have many of the older ones, but are currently seeking that one. If anyone has access to it contact us, as several of the lead PS3 Devs would LOVE to get hold of it. This is currently the #1 priority internally for the resident PS3 Devs... which is why I was asked to mention it publically.

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News