Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

PS3 JailBreaker Raided and Arrested, Piracy Devices Seized

Sponsored Links
    Today Egamer.co.za (linked above) reports that South African Police Service's Commercial Crime Unit, acting on behalf of complaints received from the South African Federation Against Copyright Theft ([Register or Login to view links]), has raided and consequently arrested a PS3 JailBreaker residing in Parktown, Johannesburg, South Africa along with seizing the PlayStation 3 piracy devices used to circumvent Sony's system protection.

Below is the official Press Release, to quote: PS3 JAILBREAK RAID AND ARREST

South Africa, 2ND August 2011, Johannesburg: The first PlayStation 3 jailbreak raid took place earlier today at a residential property in Parktown, Johannesburg. Jailbreak devices are used to circumvent the security features on PS3 consoles to facilitate the playing of pirated PS3 games.

The raid was conducted by the South African Police Service's Commercial Crime Unit, Johannesburg after receiving criminal complaints from the South African Federation Against Copyright Theft (SAFACT). The Police were assisted by the SARS Computer Forensics Lab.

Various state of the art computers, circumvention software packages, jailbreak USB devices, PS3 consoles and hard drives were seized. In addition fake PS2 games, original PS3 games, believed to be used as masters and documentation were seized.

One suspect had been arrested and he will remain in custody until the court appearance for bail in the Specialized Commercial Crimes Court in the next couple of days. It is the first PS3 circumvention arrest in the world.

PS3 JailBreaker Raided and Arrested, Piracy Devices Seized

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Now that's messed up. Was he selling the games or just playing backups on his PS3?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    It sounds to me like he was selling the USB devices or JailBroken PS3 consoles, possibly even PS2/PS3 game "backups" either on disc or on HDDs but if I find out more I will post it.

I'm searching around now for other sources.. if i find any i'll let ya know.

Hmm never heard of selling JailBroken Ps3 consoles is illegal, at least here in the Netherlands isn't it illegal, I can jailbreak anyone's ps3 and can ask money for it, even via internet But that doesn't says something about other country's laws.

Here in the US people get away with selling single modified consoles since most are from one used game owner to another, but if this was someone actually modifying them as a business for others (doing volume sales) then it would definitely catch the authorities attention eventually.

"Various state of the art computers" I lol'd. I wonder what 'piracy devices' were being used

well he was selling via internet via gumtree: gumtree.co.za/f-jailbreak-Classifieds-W0QQKeywordZjailbreakQQmapViewZfalse

He was just begging to be arrested and violated in prison! Really, how dumb can he be. The one thing that can be used against anyone using CFW, is if they do it for profits in a commercial capacity as that would be in direct violation of Sony's TOS. For personal use, Sony can't do anything.

WTF!!!?? I am in South Africa and I must compliment our police service for being able to catch something ... It is well known here they can't catch a cold in the middle of winter let alone any criminals!!! This proves that we have at least one police service member who can catch something - lets toss him a ball and see how that goes!!

It is totally unbelievable how they operate - they can not catch any hard core criminals and when they focus on a soft target and succeed (probably by accident), they get praise! Pathetic!!

On a less serious note - this suspect has really gone out of his way to get caught! He will get special "service" from bubba in jail.

To sharks ... there is an idiot born every minute ... they walk amongst us dude!

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News