Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jlhfit View Post
    Uh.. The format isnt the prob, its being able to extract the contents of the .PKG
    A PKG is AppleLink Package Compression Format used to basically tell Linux to "install me". I am sure there is a way to examine whats in those .PKG files... I dont think anyone has focused on that...
    What makes you think, that the PS3 .PKG-Files are in the AppleLink PC format?

If so, you could extract the contents with the standard archivers easily, but this is not the case.

Someone tried to RE the PS3 .PKG format. He figured out most of the header, but when it came to compression/encryption, he got stuck. Seems to have some proprietary encryption/compression.

Quote Originally Posted by jlhfit View Post
    Uh.. The format isnt the prob, its being able to extract the contents of the .PKG
    A PKG is AppleLink Package Compression Format used to basically tell Linux to "install me". I am sure there is a way to examine whats in those .PKG files... I dont think anyone has focused on that...
    http://www.ps3news.com/forums/playst...ure#post163349

With that encryption key in there, we will never get the PS3 to accept the pkg file though unless it is signed.

This is why on the psp, we cant just take the update file, and swap the update part out with a lower firmware version (although the structure makes it able to do that). As soon as you mess with it, the digital signature is no longer valid and the PSP will not accept the update file

The same will apply to the PS3.

The structure is documented in that thread I linked above... its a dead end. The guys spent some time on it already (figured out where the SHA-1 hash was stored etc) and stopped when they saw the encryption there.

I think Folding@Home could be an attack vector. If you check their developer FAQ, they say they use Gromacs, sort of framework for distributed calculation on a network. So, I downloaded Gromacs sources, and within 5 minutes I saw almost 10 format string bugs...

Good news guys. Yesterday i talked about a method that could be used for loading games. Some minutes ago, i have been abled to mount a .bin on linux and then load it on the XMB with a crash on linux. I have tried with a game, but cant mount it correctly. The film plays well, only some points that get low speed. I dont know if all this helps, but unless it is a way of hacking the system. The crash didnt work at first, but suddenly at the 4th time, it crashed the system, then suddenly i saw the intro music of the XMB and suddenly there was the image.

Regards.

PS> anyone that knows a lot of linux could help me with the iso file.

And again sorry for my english.

o.k. Hackobell - what do you need help on ??

Quote Originally Posted by Hackobell View Post
    Good news guys. Yesterday i talked about a method that could be used for loading games. Some minutes ago, i have been abled to mount a .bin on linux and then load it on the XMB with a crash on linux. I have tried with a game, but cant mount it correctly. The film plays well, only some points that get low speed. I dont know if all this helps, but unless it is a way of hacking the system. The crash didnt work at first, but suddenly at the 4th time, it crashed the system, then suddenly i saw the intro music of the XMB and suddenly there was the image.

Regards.

PS> anyone that knows a lot of linux could help me with the iso file.
    an image of the game or of the movie?

Registered User ElectrixBreaker's Avatar
    Why don't we extract PS3 backup archive.dat then browse the folders and files inside. Then modified archive.dat to removed signed code then restore it back to PS3 and see if you can play around with it.

OK. Everything is coming very fast here. I have been able to correct the values of the mounted image. i have also tested a film in .iso, it works but only to 4gb, :?? dont know why, it is very strange. What i havent been able to correct is the crash bug, cant load at first, normally loads at the third or 4th time. Films are working well, but only the .bin. Know im going to try a direct crash from linux, one click and Tada Access to the XMB.

Regards.

PS> didnt talk about it, my version is 1.60. So PDX, yes, this version has also bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hackobell View Post
    OK. Everything is coming very fast here. I have been able to correct the values of the mounted image. i have also tested a film in .iso, it works but only to 4gb, :?? dont know why, it is very strange. What i havent been able to correct is the crash bug, cant load at first, normally loads at the third or 4th time. Films are working well, but only the .bin. Know im going to try a direct crash from linux, one click and Tada Access to the XMB.
    FAT32 Partitions have that file size limit. Possibly what you're using.

Correct. The PS3 in GameOS mode (XMB) can only handle vfat (FAT32).
    Perhaps future Firmwares support more filesystems.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast