Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Great, but, how would this be possible in the future?

if they change the firmware so you can't reverse it in the same ways, then you have to get a new dump of it right? but that won't be possible as they removed otheros so the exploit cant be used?

or can you somehow reverse it without a ps3 to make a custom fw of it? or, if there will ever be a custom fw from this, will there never be another one?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I'm a few pages late when i to comes to stating the obvious, but damn it seems like Matty really is jealous after all. How sad. I was hoping he wasn't sharing out of fear in order to cover his own butt but as time passes it seems more and more like he's just in it for his own ego.
    Quote Originally Posted by SCE View Post
    If you want it so bad, then you really should.

But instead of wasting my time everyday checking for a CFW, I would rather work at that time and BUY games.
    That still leaves the crippling problem of the game running off of a mechanical device which slows loading times to a crawl (yes I realize HDDs are mechanical as well).

I'd rather run my games off my hard drive, that would not only speed things up but also give the great option of not ever having to open my games and leaving them sealed as nice collector's items.
    Last edited by Neo Cyrus; 04-03-2010 at 08:10 PM

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    This indeed great news, probably the best one we ever had yet about Ps3 hacking, but to us end-users, it doesn't mean much.

Now, we can start dreaming about a CFW (or Custom HyperVisor as I like to call it ^^) , loaders and homebrews, but it doesn't mean it will be around here anytime soon. We'll probably see Retail to Debug first, but even that is still months away.

What we have today is the map to find the treasure, but now we have to prepare the trip there and hope the map isn't wrong

The hard part starts now. Reverse-engineering, finding holes, exploiting those holes (yes I'm still talking about Ps3s ^^) and after that the coding fun will start. Each of these steps might take from a few days to several months... We have everything needed to hack the beast, now it's time to actually hack the beast!

We don't know what will be the outcome, we don't know how it will be done, we don't know if it will work on every Ps3, but soon enough, we'll have all the answers, and probably much more that we can't even think about right now.

Now is the time to support the Ps3 devs, no more, no less.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Cyrus View Post
    That still leaves the crippling problem of the game running off of a mechanical device which slows loading times to a crawl (yes I realize HDDs are mechanical as well).

I'd rather run my games off my hard drive, that would not only speed things up but also give the great option of not ever having to open my games and leaving them sealed as nice collector's items.
    Better get a JTag'ed 360

Quote Originally Posted by SCE View Post
    If you want it so bad, then you really should.

But instead of wasting my time everyday checking for a CFW, I would rather work at that time and BUY games.
    I don't work in the weekend Or can you work if you are drunk

From mathieulh's twitter:
    @Cloudhunter trust me, I know. The only reason I spoke about it is because I rather not see reversers waste their time on a linux kernel

@NeoOtaku You would be lucky to find 1% of lv2 in that dump... While this is a wild approximation it isn't far from the truth.

Good news, well done to all and for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by red8316 View Post
    It's easy enough to look at it. I don't understand it, but it is fun to read over. You can at least pick out items using a hex editor. 010 hex editor is what I use.

Looks like there is lots of lv0, lv1, lv2 text matches when searching for those terms. Gnome is also seen in there if searched for. Perhaps what he installed on the Other Os. lv0 3.1.5 is also seen. Perhaps his firmware version.
    Haha exactly the same as me! Its just fun to look over and search for things with a hex editor.

Question

Question out of curosity, we know that the PS2 backwards compatable 60GB PS3 uses hardware emulation and the 80GB uses software emulation would it be possable once everything is figured out to extract the software emulation from the 80GB and re insert it into the non-backwards compatable models? just food for though..

Quote Originally Posted by Progeria View Post
    Great, but, how would this be possible in the future?

if they change the firmware so you can't reverse it in the same ways, then you have to get a new dump of it right? but that won't be possible as they removed otheros so the exploit cant be used?

or can you somehow reverse it without a ps3 to make a custom fw of it? or, if there will ever be a custom fw from this, will there never be another one?
    ..yes and no. Like people say, the exploit doesn't give us much as users. It's a long way off before any custom firmware anyway.

On the other hand, if you have a good picture of how the firmware works, it would be easier to imagine how a wrapper program for executing user-code would have to be written, and where on the hdd the modifications might have to be made. And maybe if we can make a program like that, inserting it into a firmware might not be necessary..

...just speculating. Because, I mean, expecting someone to write new routines into the firmware, that's a tall order. It's not a phone with a simple certificate check, or anything like that.

Sponsored Links

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News