Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links
    i tried to post the guide yesterday in the afternoon but i suppose i'm still under moderation.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    great job DemonHades / JaicraB. You have done a great service to the ps3 world. Keep up the great work!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by Raze1988 View Post
    Man, that looks so very complicated. I hope the guys who dumped the HV before have no problem understanding/reproducing this.
    I think because the dump has already been publically released, all dev's will just take that and examine it instead of recreating the entire process.

That was the whole problem with GeoHot in the first place - people had to recreate what he had already done just so they could see the lv1 dump. But because DemonHades and JaicraB have released a dump for all to see, anyone with the knowledge can just examine it without having to go through what they did.

They've released a mini tutorial on how to do it yourself purely for those that are interested in how it was obtained and incase someone else wants to try and do it.

So I think no it's been released publically it's just going to be under the scrutiny of the dev's now.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    It's not a bad idea at all but... who tells the linux OS to NOT overwrite memory blocks used by XMB ?

This needs a specially crafted allocation table in the initrd to work, otherwise the system booting may corrupt the RAM content...

Am I wrong ? And who tell us the memory blocks which are not used by XMB in order to use them to boot linux ?

Experience maybe, just try, try, try again I suppose...
    Last edited by moneymaker; 04-04-2010 at 12:17 PM

This is great!!! Now that just about everything on the ps3 is ready to be examined, Im hoping well be able to see something for the basic user.

Good luck to everyone whos putting the effort into it. im guessing theres going to be people with reverse engineering skills needed. I hope a few step up to the plate and deliver.

Great job!!!

Hey,

Again this seem like great development towards some progress. I hope we have something soon... Keep up the great work everyone...

Having the method of dumping out there could allow people with different (older?) firmware versions to dump their firmware which could lead to the discovery of some security holes that $ony patched and that were never found.

Quote Originally Posted by moneymaker View Post
    It's not a bad idea at all but... who tells the linux OS to NOT overwrite memory blocks used by XMB ?

This needs a specially crafted allocation table in the initrd to work, otherwise the system booting may corrupt the RAM content...

Am I wrong ? And who tell us the memory blocks which are not used by XMB in order to use them to boot linux ?

Experience maybe, just try, try, try again I suppose...
    Yup - that might indeed be a problem. But if it's the case it should be visible in the dump quite easily since LV2 and Linux data will be intermingled then.

Quote Originally Posted by sapperlott View Post
    Yup - that might indeed be a problem. But if it's the case it should be visible in the dump quite easily since LV2 and Linux data will be intermingled then.
    About this I've to point out that HV is not currently hijackable while in XMB, why it should keep track of memory block allocation when translating to alternate OS ?

Data would be corrupted cause HV is not knowing it should keep track of the RAM content into this process, nothing tells it to do it and keeping the RAM content alive is not preventing linux to overwrite it while HV tables are gone, this leads to the need of using unallocated memory blocks to boot linux, guessing for example that the higher you can boot it the better the result...

Obviously this could be done better with a "made on purpose" microkernel requiring the lowest amount of memory possible....in the try to dodge useful content...

Maybe on a DECR it could be done even better since there is little to no chance to expand RAM onto a retail/debug unit...

EDIT: otherwise it could be possible to boot into linux, map the memory, instruct the HV and then switch to XMB, do what we have to do and then switch back to linux keeping memory alive....but I'm not sure neither I've time to try...
    Last edited by moneymaker; 04-04-2010 at 03:40 PM

Quote Originally Posted by dondolo View Post
    i tried to post the guide yesterday in the afternoon but i suppose i'm still under moderation.
    Actually many users posted the guide, having multiple posts on it would get confusing. We do of course, appreciate the post.

However, for any news - you will have a much better chance getting your post on the frontpage if you submit it here: http://www.ps3news.com/submit

Quote Originally Posted by moneymaker View Post
    Maybe on a DECR it could be done even better since there is little to no chance to expand RAM onto a retail/debug unit...
    Believe it or not, at least by default (as in, no internal Sony firmware) a DECR can not use linux - so all the magic would have to occur from within the GameOS.

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News