Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by PS3 News View Post
    My guess would be a few days, but until we get the go-ahead from a release group it's hard to say for sure.
    What would be the problem with making the HV dump available immediately? Surely there can't be any legal issues involved with a memory dump - why are they surrounded by privacy as if that was the case?

Sponsored Links

Thumbs Up

Sponsored Links
    Congrats Guys! I think people will join me in saying that this place (PS3News) has been the only interesting location for news relating to the PS3 since day 1. Glad to see that your moving ahead quickly with this work.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by diablodiab View Post
    What would be the problem with making the HV dump available immediately? Surely there can't be any legal issues involved with a memory dump - why are they surrounded by privacy as if that was the case?
    They are illegal to distribute.. thats why they need a release group to do it for them

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    While the hypervisor is definitely Sony's copyrighted code reverse engeneering it to make your own new completely rewirtten code is not so if we do figure out a hypervisor bug and exploit it to run a modified HV the modified HV will have to be new code not part of Sony's or it will have to modify the existing HV.

Its like if you dumped the hypervisor and hexedited your name to the bottom its still Sony's copyrighted code, but if you look at Sony's code (which is kinda of a gray legal area) and made your own based on their code it isn't illegal and bravo CPJC all the PS3News team this is what we have been waiting for.

Great work guys... keep it up

Quote Originally Posted by CJPC View Post
    We tried a few different ways to dump out the real memory - the biggest "problem" was the fact that you can't just simply use File I/O code in a kernel module. Furthermore, you can't call the lv1_peek function from user mode either.

Luckily, resident DEV kakarotoks was up to the challenge. After some trial and error (and too many PS3 crashes!) he made a kernel module which maps the "real" PS3 memory to a device in /proc. The /proc area lets the kernel and userland interact some.
    Good job guys but i want to ask you something. Did you try to dump memory more then one time for compare?

hot great stuff!! one more step for hv to go down... and homebrew to come up.

nice news!!! i think this is a huge step !

IDA should be a good tool to start disassembling this stuff

Cheers

Karl

wish you all luck devs of ps3news.. the fact that your wasting your time and money for the sake of a full functioned ps3 for the world is just fare enough for us even if you we couldn't get actual homebrews to run.

Sponsored Links

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News