Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

PS3 HIP2HIS - PARAM.HIP to PARAM.HIS Changelog File Converter

Sponsored Links
    Today PlayStation 3 developer deroad has released a PS3 HIP2HIS PARAM.HIP to PARAM.HIS changelog file converter application and related documentation below.

Download: [Register or Login to view links]

To quote: This is a new software to convert a PARAM.HIP file to a PARAM.HIS (HIS are used by the PS3 as a change-log file).

It can be viewed by going Game -> Triangle -> Update History
    This file needs to be located in the same folder as the PARAM.SFO ( /dev_hdd0/game/TITLE_ID/PARAM.HIS ).

Finally, from ps3devwiki.com/wiki/PARAM.HIP:

This file is used to display the changelog texts of a HDD game (category HG), game patches (category GD with APP_VER), and gamedata (category GD without APP_VER). Texts are displayed under the option "Update History" when pressing triangle over his icon.

PARAM.HIP files are the "source" file, contained in the root of a Install_Package.pkg. When the package is installed the system adds at the beggining of the "source" file 10 bytes containing his timestamp (date and time when is installed), and copyes it in the install folder as PARAM.HIS.

PARAM.HIS files can be updated by consecutive installations of more .HIP files over the same old .HIS file, this adds the same structure severall times separated by his timestamps and a blank row when displayed in XMB.

Severall PARAM_xx.HIP files can be included in a .pkg for different languages by adding a number to the end of the filename (e.g. PARAM_16.HIP for polish language), the system will install only the one that matches the language settings of the user, or the default PARAM.HIP if no other is applicable.

Game examples
    • HATSUNE MIKU Project Diva (NPJB00047) - patch 1.01
    • Catherine (BLJM60215) - patch 1.01

Internal Structures

PARAM.HIP

This structure is repeated several times inside the file, one time for each text row, the controll byte "0A" displaces text to the next row.

[Register or Login to view code]

PARAM.HIS

This structure is repeated severall times inside the file, one time for each PARAM.HIP included in the file.

[Register or Login to view code]

Hexadecimal to Decimal online: [Register or Login to view links]

Decimal to Unix Timestamp online: [Register or Login to view links]

Example of a "hand made" [PARAM.HIS] ([Register or Login to view links]) that simulates 3 patches with 3 text rows each, installed in 3 different years, usefull to copy-paste it inside an installed patch folder (GD category) or a game (HG category) to understand how the .HIP's are cummulated inside a .HIS

ASCII art

Because there are a lot of text rows availables it can be made ASCII pictures and logos, the trick here is to first use some online ASCII converter like [this one] (network-science.de/ascii/). The output text of this conversors will not be displayed correctly in PS3 XMB

There is needed to represent this text in the PC using the official fonts from the firmware (US/Europe fonts are in the path dev_flash\data\font\SCE-PS3-RD-R-LATIN.TTF).

Install this font in the PC, open some image or text editor (like photoshop or gimp), paste the text and correct the widths by adding spaces to display it properly.

Example of a "hand made" [PARAM.HIS] ([Register or Login to view links]) with the PS3DEV logo and a strange guy under it o0.

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links

Confused

Sponsored Links
    What the heck is it ?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Seriously? ...

As per the original post...
    Quote Originally Posted by PS3 News View Post
    This is a new software to convert a PARAM.HIP file to a PARAM.HIS (HIS are used by the PS3 as a change-log file).
    Change-log see: [Register or Login to view links]

PSPSwampy

I read that bit of the text, and I know what a change log usually is.

but I would also like to know the practical use of what ever this thing is.

I've not had anything to do with this and dont develop for PS3, but reading the first post leads me to the conclusion that this is mainly for the benefit of PS3 DEV's who want to include a sony style change log with their apps.

e.g. any PS3 homebrew could list all of the changes in each version so if you're interested in what's changed you can see wthout having to visit a website.

But i guess i could have got the wrong end of the stick
    Last edited by PSPSwampy; 02-28-2012 at 06:30 PM Reason: removd the word "Nice" re sony style ;)

Confused

sometimes I feel like it too, not having a clue about what a spoof, etc does..

Sponsored Links
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News