Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Banned User
    Sponsored Links

Angry

Sponsored Links
    hey guys im not trying to rain on your parade here but just what do you intend to write to the hdd execueibles ? music or what the piont here is for now enough decryption has been done on the hdd short of getting the key which we need some sort of code that can run on the ps3. if you have any feel free to send it me and i'll mount to the hdd and try and run it for we really need something useful so lets put our energy there for now in getting something to run on this system
    Last edited by XVISTAMAN2005; 11-02-2009 at 03:47 AM

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Sorry to interrupt the party but electronics and hardware are far more complicated.

1. You can't just control hdd by one wire. Sata bus has four wires (A+ A- | B+ B-) through ALL data is carried on high freq. This is not IDE
    2. To make hdd read a specific file and not other file you'll must know offset on hdd of eachother. FW to this, he know what sectors/platter to access and however hdd is encrypted -> impossible
    3. You must syncronize in time which means "ms" . If ps3 wants to read music.mp3 and you're late with "External HDD Manipulator", whole system will freeze.
    4. "External HDD Manipulator" means?! If you really want to controll hdd head, then forget.

good luck

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    If someone could specially modifiy a harddrive PCB to output all commands it is given and to maybe send the HDD head(s) to different location than what the ps3 asks for, that would be good. Don't know if that is possible. The HDD IS the one external piece of hardware which the ps3 relies on and brings into its encryption family so maybe we can manipulate that to produce an exploit.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    This is nonsense - I have already been explaining this many times. The [en/de]cryption takes place in PS3's OS.

[Application]->[OS (write file)]->[Filesystem manager]->[Encryption routine]->[HDD (individual sectors)]

So applications (be it games or XMB) writes unencrypted data. That goes to OS's routine for writing files (still unencrypted), that goes to filesystem manager (still unencrypted) which transforms the data to series of sector writes (i.e. what chunks of data goes to which sector - still unencrypted). Then it goes through encryption routine which encrypts each sector with a private key and writes it down to HDD. Same data (sector contents) is encrypted the same way (on one machine on a different one the encryption key is different - that's why you cannot take HDD from one PS3 to another - it will simply be unable to decrypt the data).

When application tries to read something from the HDD the data is decrypted after each sector is read - so to application it looks like the HDD is unencrypted.

If you did what you describe you'd only get encrypted data being written to HDD. You'd get to know where is each file written but that is nothing we wouldn't know so far. I mean what this information would give you is the layout of the filesystem and that is already known: it is commonly used filesystem (cannot remember which one - some of the Devs may provide the info). There are guides and tools to get the whole filesystem decrypted so you'd see what is where. You can even mount such unencrypted filesystem using Linux.

I found the info: the filesystem being used is UFS2 (see [Register or Login to view links] )
    Last edited by RexVF5; 11-03-2009 at 09:31 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News