Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by nividia View Post
    Quotes from Gehot and Fail0verflow may lead to something
    that's old news mate..like last year old.. LOL

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I'm new to the forum but i was wondering if anyone has tried to format their flash and knows what happens? does it then look for a software image on the system or does it brick (no assumptions please)? secondly what might happen if you took the flash memory off and tried to over-write it.

I know formatting and overwriting it isn't possible as this point with the PS3 but it doesn't mean it cant be done else ware. I could plug it into my cisco router and y-modem the CFW. I'm just worried there's a fail safe before i brick my ps3.
    Last edited by neoxon71; 08-09-2011 at 03:49 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Well, of note - even when you brick your cisco, as you said there is a failsafe. But if you wipe the failsafe, its wiped. Now not really much of that in the PS3, once the flash is wiped, it's wiped, which means its bricked.

Following up on his previous update, today Sony PlayStation 3 hacker No_One has made available some PDF documentation that details how Project PNM PS3 NOR Manager works including schematics, explanations, a bill of materials (BOM), and diagrams.

Download: [Register or Login to view links]

To quote: Hi mates, Here is the PDF documentation that explains how PNM works from an hardware point of view:
    • schematics
    • explanations
    • bill of materials (BOM)
    • diagrams

Coming soon:
    • A virtual SOCKET #3 to access (Read/Write) the PS3 NOR (on motherboard itself) It will give the ability to manage what others flashers around do without removing the embedded NOR.

Realtime tests on a PS3 in differents situations:
    • Static switching between 2 firmwares
    • Dynamic switching

Tasks finished these last 2 days:
    • serial link has been enhanced (speed) to 1Mbit/s
    • virtual SOCKET #3 instanciated in the FPGA
    • Teraterm macros to help managing DUMP/UPDATE (not yet fully functionnal)
    • automatic detection of the firmware flashed
    • some minor software updates

See ya very soon for more progress !

Cheers
    No_One

Update: Let me give some clarifications. To make simple:
    • private keys are used to decrypt (and sign) files needed to build a firmware.
    • public keys are used to decrypt files like "EBOOT.BIN", SELF/SPRX files and so on.

If a new exploit is found to obtain privates keys then CFW will appear again.

Even if PNM project only aims to manage a TRUE dual firmware console, it may lead to public keys.
    I won't explain it how.

What does that mean ?

It means devs will probably include public keys (ie 3.70) in a 3.55 CFW (like it has been done for 3.56 keys). But i would like to underline that there some tricks that could be used by SONY to prevent such methods. I won't explain them here.

Now, concerning the NOR flash. It only embeds a part of the firmware. The other part is stored in the internal HDD. To manage a TRUE dual firmware, it will be necessary to have both these parts (ie 3.41 HDD + 3.70 HDD).

I won't talk about the SYSCON in this post since most people reading won't understand what it is.
    The lame method will consist to swap HDD. But good news, there are some identified tricks to keep everything in only ONE HDD

Again, to make things clear: PNM is NOT a project to promote piracy ! The main goal is to have a 3.41/3.55 CFW with Linux/homebrews and an OFW to continue enjoying last games, PSN... But like any "weapon", PNM can be used for nice perspectives but also in "bad hands" for obscure aims.

Cheers
    No_One

Project PNM PS3 NOR Manager Schematics and More Arrive

More PlayStation 3 News...

Pandora battery

Quote Originally Posted by CJPC View Post
    Well, of note - even when you brick your cisco, as you said there is a failsafe. But if you wipe the failsafe, its wiped. Now not really much of that in the PS3, once the flash is wiped, it's wiped, which means its bricked.
    apparently you never heard of the Pandora battery.

I'll try to be nice about this, but PSP never came up in this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by lyoth View Post
    apparently you never heard of the Pandora battery.
    lol

Arrow Project PNM Stand-Alone Mode for PS3 NOR Flash Mangement

As a follow-up to the previous Project PNM news, here is another update from PlayStation 3 hacker No_One below.

To quote: Hi mates, I wanted to give you news concerning the PNM project. I really missed time. But I just finished what I call the "stand-alone mode". In this mode, we can do everything concerning the NOR FLASH mangement.

Here are the functions working now:
    • copy memory
    • dump memory
    • update memory
    • display memory CRC32
    • read memory
    • display memory details

PNM is now working with 2 NOR sockets and 1 "virtual" one which is the PS3 embedded memory. It means for example that now we can dump/update the PS3 NOR like any flasher, but also copy its content to another FLASH and so on...

Next step now consists in wiring the PNM board to the PS3. This is what I call the "PS3 mode". I will do it next week

I will of course give you details, some nice pictures and maybe a video. We are not so far to be capable to dual firmware the PS3 and do some nice progress in FLASH decrypting.

Have fun !
    Cheers

No_One

PS: For people asking why I simply didn't use a twice capacity NOR FLASH (32MBytes) instead of 2 NOR FLASH (16MBytes). This is simply because it is easy for SONY to disable the dual firmware feature using what we call the "Product ID". Original NOR has a unique product ID (16Mbytes). A simple check and you cannot anymore use PNM.

Project PNM Stand-Alone Mode for PS3 NOR Flash Mangement

Project PNM Stand-Alone Mode for PS3 NOR Flash Mangement

More PlayStation 3 News...
    Attached Thumbnails<br><br> Attached Thumbnails

screenshot_1.jpg   screenshot_2.jpg  

Confused

whats it for? sorry for my noob question

The main PNM goal is to have a 3.41/3.55 CFW with Linux/homebrew and an OFW to continue enjoying the latest games, PSN, etc.

Sponsored Links
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News