Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

PS3 Flash Goodies - Part 2: The XML Revolution

Sponsored Links
    With the great ongoing work in our PS3 Forums with the RCO files, we are also going to talk about component two of the PS3's XMB includes- its XML Files!

Inside the directory exists 30 XML files. They control quite a bit in regards to the PS3's appearance and functioning, from telling the XMB what types of information to display, all the way to letting you download PlayStation Home!

Do make sure to check out the attached image, as it is code snippets of the XML files we're speaking of below.

For example, in category_game.xml, it appears upon disc insertion, the insertion is added into a database, along with what type of media it's on (CD/DVD/BDVD), and if it detects, what format it is (PS1/PS2/PS3) and so on. Now there are your different media types of course: PS1 CD, PS2 CD, PS2 DVD, PS3 DVD, PS3 BD.

Additionally, in that particular XML file pertinent game information is stored in a similar fashion such as game saves, including the type of Memory Card, if it is from Memory Stick, USB, Internal, Virtual, or through a PS2-USB Memory Card is also stored.

Also a hint for what's coming from Sony.. quite a few references to the Trophy room, right in the XMB!

In another XML file, category_tv.xml, contains all of the XMB options for the Korean IPTV service, MegaTV. It has the options for the buttons, as well as the download information.

Finally, category_psn.xml is an important one.. the one for PSN. The PSN, among other things, contains similiar options to the MegaTV service for downloading of files, including both F@H and HOME.

There are quite a few more files, and we will release a full filelist soon.. other files include registory.xml and category_video_bdponly.xml so check back this weekend. We only have so much freetime to work on this per day, and for the most part prefer to utilize it dev'ing versus posting news on every little step along the way.

Finally, in related PS3 Dev news next week we will discuss how a PS3 game boots up, what the HDD has to do with it, and why the PARAM.SFO is just so very important to the PS3, much MORE than what you would think!

We will also cover some VERY nice PS3 Flash ECC regeneration work that was a success recently among other things.

PS: In case you didn't notice, the PS3 KeyVault Project has been officially put it on hold, as significant progress is being made in other areas with the PS3 which we feel supercedes the Project's priority for the present time.

PS3 Flash Goodies - Part 2: The XML Revolution

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Once again CJPC thanks for all your efforts and also to all the relevant DEV's working on this project. Can I ask are you getting this information from a RETAIL or DEBUG machine ???? If from a retail machine can any of us assist by getting any further information for you ???? I have an UK machine running firmware 2.30 if you need any info from it.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    In the listing (on the screenshot) I see URI like this: xcb://localhost/query?table=MMS_MEDIA_TYPE_SYSTEM&sort=StorageMedi a:StorageMedia.type&cond=...

This certainly seems as some sort of query to something running on top of some database (the query seems very SQL-ish). Maybe there would be option to exploit/explore this as well? Is any of the Devs capable of telling what xcb:// protocol is like and possibly accessible from outside? Or maybe from internal browser?

Speaking of the xcb:// URL and it's possible availability from the outside: has anyone performed port scan of the running PS3? I will surely do that once I get home to see what's available from the outside...

Quote Originally Posted by RexVF5 View Post
    Speaking of the xcb:// URL and it's possible availability from the outside: has anyone performed port scan of the running PS3? I will surely do that once I get home to see what's available from the outside...
    I had my previous post in mind that got to disappear somewhere (or I'm stupid):

In the listing (on the screenshot) I see URI like this: xcb://localhost/query?table=MMS_MEDIA_TYPE_SYSTEM&sort=StorageMedi a:StorageMedia.type&cond=...

This certainly seems as some sort of query to something running on top of some database (the query seems very SQL-ish). Maybe there would be option to exploit/explore this as well? Is any of the Devs capable of telling what xcb:// protocol is like and possibly accessible from outside? Or maybe from internal browser?
    Last edited by RexVF5; 05-16-2008 at 11:07 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Its just redirecting you to about:blank when you start to begin something with xcb://localhost/... in internal browser. BUT it doesent giving you 404 or anything else! Who knows, maybe its really making querys to DB...

Quote Originally Posted by gb14929 View Post
    Once again CJPC thanks for all your efforts and also to all the relevant DEV's working on this project. Can I ask are you getting this information from a RETAIL or DEBUG machine ???? If from a retail machine can any of us assist by getting any further information for you ???? I have an UK machine running firmware 2.30 if you need any info from it.
    It is on the debug machine, if we were doing it on the retail, you would be we would tell everyone exactly how to do it! Appreciate your offer to help however!

Sponsored Links