Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

PS3 Firmware 3.42 Consoles Hit Retailers, JailBreaking Removed

Previously PS JailBreak users were warned not to update to PS3 Firmware 3.42 as it patches the PS3 JailBreak exploit, and today theruler and others on PSX-Scene (linked above) report that PS3 Firmware 3.42 consoles are now hitting retailers which have removed the exploit currently used for PlayStation 3 JailBreaking.

To quote: Several members of this forum and others have been reporting buying brand new PS3 Systems that come with 3.42FW. Systems above 3.41 cannot be jailbroken.

While not all systems in stores are 3.42FW and people have still reported buying 3.40FW systems, the increased reports of 3.42FW systems can only be a sign of things to come with Sony attempting to combat the jailbreak on all fronts, and signals an incoming scarcity of consoles with 3.41 or below.

If you or someone you know buys a system that comes with 3.42 please post as much information as possible in this thread. (Including box description, barcode, other codes, SKU, etc. Pics plz!)

Just got a ps3 160gb from the zellers moonlight madness and it came with 3.42

you can tell the new 3.42 firmware from the older 160 gb because the back of the box has a playstation move ad and the front has a netflix streaming ad on the front. the sku upc is 711719841807 CECH-2501A

Hope this helps. Went ahead and took my chances on the holiday bundle currently in stores (includes Infamous and NHL 11). System firmware is 3.50 so it looks like I'll be taking it back and hunting for a used model.

buster1395: I have ordered 4 brand new 160 gig slim ps3 systems from newegg.com. All came with 3.40 on them until now. I recieved this system Friday and just opened it up to mod it. To my surprise 3.42 was already installed on it. Does anyone know of a series of sn or bar codes to avoid? Guess I will have to go in the store from now on instead of getting free shipping and no tax from newegg.

Illumination: A friend of mine bought the limited edition blue one that came with GT5 from Hong Kong within the past week, and it came with 3.42.

Primulas: I can also confirm this. We decided to check real fast. the model is the same as listed above... Last four digits of sku are different though. Netflix on one side, move ad on other. 160gb comes with uncharted 2 and pixel junk shooter. Was purchased from Wally world on black Friday.

3.42... mega bummer. Now to decide either to try and return it and find as good a deal/buy a PS Jailbreak/ or Just wait and hope that an open downgrader comes out before too long.

msmorphius: i bought brand new ps3 from toys r us 20 nov and it came with 3.42 i guessin there no hack for this yet is that right?

johnster12: i bought one from currys with 3.42 two weeks ago. just look to see if it mentions 3d on the box or psmove steer clear.

Busta305: Well I bought the 160GB black friday bundle from amazon and it came with 3.42.

Amazon.com: PlayStation 3 160 GB Black Friday Bundle w/ Uncharted 2, Pixel Junk Shooter, Karate Kid Blu-Ray, and $25 Video Game Credit: Video Games

ps3warrior: Brand new 320gb bought today from toys r us - uk and has 3.42 installed. Now about to order the JB downgrade dongle. I can confirm that the PS3 bought this morning was totally sealed and unopened yet still is 3.42fw.

PS3 Firmware 3.42 Consoles Hit Retailers, JailBreaking Removed

More PlayStation 3 News...

I don't know about other countries, but in Taiwan, a month ago was already extremely hard to find PS3 with 3.41 in retail stores.

it's the same here... Its real hard to find fw 3.41 consoles.... Anyways it'll help some people sell the consoles taking huge profits..!!

3.41 is NOT available in the netherlands anymore. Belgium has also a minimum left.

I asked for the boxes:

> With no game
    or combined with a game of the following:
    > uncharted 3.1
    > PSN pack 3.4
    > Ratchet and clanck 3.4

I just assumed this was old news. In Japan, end of Oct had every PS3, both new and used, in bic camera/sofmap and amazon.co.jp at firmware version 3.50. Pressure from Sony.

and ya btw you can contact me if you want a ps3 with fw 3.41... all are new in box and sealed... i won't be wanting any profits for myself... and i'll try to give it to you at the price i get it for... just buzz me up through my visitor messages... also i'll edit my profile to add an email address... rep if you like this.

can't you see what the firmware is (roughly) by the serial on the box - like we did with the psps?

meh. 2nd hand may be the way to go.

A friend of mine who lives near Toronto in Canada picked up the 160GB holiday bundle with Infamous and NHL 11 hoping to do some homebrew. His PS3 came preloaded with 3.42.

I bought my PS3 immediately after the jailbreak was confirmed.

So, with this, the PS3 homebrew/PIRATED GAMES/etc scene will die just like on Xbox 360 (except on 360 we have DLC working 100% on JTAGs ). Also on 360, every game works on backup (GoD, files, even iXtreme burned games etc).

In all seriousness, the Xbox 360 homebrew scene is nearly dead due to lack of availability on consoles, and I think PS3 will suffer the same fate. I know the firmware hackers will keep going, but Sony will also keep updating, just as MS is even cracking down on iXtreme (all it really does is enable piracy and not homebrew). Sure, we can stay on 3.41 and run games up to a few months ago with relative success (not 100%).

If we're not after running legally copied games at minimum (I think lack of an HDD installation function on PS3 makes it so much worse in comparison to 360, even with disc authentication), then I hope the homebrew scene lives on, but I don't expect too much. If you intend to share your discoveries, what will be the point if no one else can run them?

And also, does my PS3 go up in value now? XD

Everybody saw that coming, $ony isn't kidding about stopping homebrew and piracy!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast