Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    well now that in the US jailbreaking & rooting is LEGAL!!!!

im sure some really good reverse engineers will be starting to attack this thing....my buddy is part of the military (AF) & he & his group have a ps3 cluster running, so im sure those guys are going to dig into the system now, & crack it since its no longer illegal

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    God Speed for you buddy on Breaking This Baby OPEN

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Actually i assembled programmer,and dumped information from that chip, its like 256 mb of data on it, so it's encryted!

Need some tools to decrypt, i'm working on it...

Try byte swapping it (0xaabbccdd to 0xbbaaddcc). After that you should be able to see stuff like the flash tables (search for metldr or creserved_0).

Could you please post how you wired the programmer to the test points?

Quote Originally Posted by sapperlott View Post
    Try byte swapping it (0xaabbccdd to 0xbbaaddcc). After that you should be able to see stuff like the flash tables (search for metldr or creserved_0).

Could you please post how you wired the programmer to the test points?
    Ok i will try your method , but i think it will be no results!

So actually i'm using PIC programmer , just wired wires to TEST points and got it!And just flashed programmer that it read and write!

Still cant unveil it , but if i get something useful i will share all information with community!
    Last edited by TUHTA; 07-27-2010 at 07:52 AM

Well - there is no way to be sure that your dump is correct. So I wouldn't try to decrypt something that most likely isn't encrypted at all.

If you connected the address or data lines in the wrong order for example, you will still read the correct amount of data but it will be useless garbage.

Since the NAND controller is attached to the SB the same way as the later 16 MiB NOR flash, the file you read from it should look the same as a 16 MiB NOR dump regarding file structure.

If somebody has a disassembled PS3 with a 16 MiB flash handy, it would be interesting to see if the same test points are still there. In this case you could just use a multimeter to map out the connections from the test points to the 16 MiB NOR pins. That should match the correct pin assignment for the NAND controller.

Hrm ... something doesn't add up with the description of the test points. To address 256 MiB with word access you'd need A0..27. With A0..17 you could only address 512 KiB
    Last edited by sapperlott; 07-28-2010 at 04:53 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

2^18 = 262144 (a0...a17)

262144 / 1024 = 256

means 256kb could be adressed...

If you ignore the fact that those address lines address 16bit words instead of 8bit bytes then yes

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by sapperlott View Post
    AFAIK the CXD4302GB is only the NAND controller. This chip makes the 2x 128MiB NAND flashes look like a single coherent NOR flash to the southbridge (SCC).

Notice how the southbridge didn't change (at least its part number) from the last model with 2x 128 MiB NAND to the first model with 16 MiB NOR flash?

So in theory it should have a somewhat similar pinout to the 16 MiB NOR flashes used in the newer models (Spansion S29GL128N90TFIR2 / Samsung K8Q2815UQB-P14B).

This chip handles all the crazy interleaving and shuffling around of the NAND pages. It is necessary so the SB sees a coherent NOR flash since you can't boot a system from NAND flash (because it doesn't support random access at a byte level). This is the reason why most embedded devices carry a small (expensive) NOR flash for the boot code and a large (inexpensive) NAND flash for data and applications.

So yes - it would make it far easier to tap into this chip with a microcontroller compared to tapping into the NANDs directly because one wouldn't have to mess around with all the interleaving and shuffling (the byte swap will stay, of course). But it's quite unlikely that this chip is another separate flash.

The most elegant solution would be to use the exploit to access the flash from Linux, though (what GeoHot appears to have done). That way you could just access the flash from Linux like any other block device.
    No is true,the cxd(starship 2) is the real dev_flash whith partitions into,that flash have a raw is mounted...for it geo needed patch the raw for delete crypto and mount.

Dont is the same nandflash and devflash,devflash store the firmware modules and resources...nandflash loaders,hyper and the engine init system kernel(core_os).

1saludo

If that were the case, why did the size of the flash change on the newer consoles? If what you believe is true, moving the dev_flash to HDD would only have eliminated the CXD4302GB chip, not shrunk the size of the "other" flash.

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - PS3 Forums - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News