Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Thread: PS2 mode on PS3

Sponsored Links

PS2 mode on PS3

Sponsored Links
    I have a question, is somehow PS2 mode a sandbox in ps3? i mean if ps2 games run safely from xmb..

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Ya, I believe it is running in a sandbox mode.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by aries2k6 View Post
    Ya, I believe it is running in a sandbox mode.
    Hi aries2k6... as you said the ps2 mode is running in sandbox (meaning is completelly isolated...) but isnt it possible to find a exploit in ps2 mode to jump to a ps3 mode... that would be a possibility but i don't know, i am running out of ideas argh

My idea was to run linux in gameos and not in otheros, basically to bypass some HV "restrictions", for example 3D access. If anyone from you own a PS3 60GB and a swap magic, would be great to test a linux distro for ps2 and compare the results with ps3 linux. MAYBE we can find a new hole/something

Quote Originally Posted by pockets69 View Post
    Hi aries2k6... as you said the ps2 mode is running in sandbox (meaning is completelly isolated...) but isnt it possible to find a exploit in ps2 mode to jump to a ps3 mode... that would be a possibility but i don't know, i am running out of ideas argh
    Hi Pockets,
    I wish there was but I just donīt see a way of getting ps3 access through the ps2 side. What I was hoping was that maybe we could somehow use the ps2side to get info about the ps3.

I can see the ps3 side of things running on top of ps2mode but I donīt know how we could get at it. For example, the PS button on the controller gives you some functions. PS2 functions accessable with ps2 code?

Nope, I donīt think so. Thatīs ps3mode but is there anyway to look out of a crack in the sandbox to see whatīs going on? since ps2mode is still also running, anyway to sniff out some info?

I was also hoping we could get Lan access in ps2mode. not for iso playing, but for debugging purposes. Then thereīs the PS2SystemData.pkg I was hoping that there could be some way to find out itīs contents through the ps2 side.

Last thing I can think of is the HDD. the vmcīs are on an encrypted HDD but the ps2 side can read them and even a partition made for the ps2. anyway to use that to our advantage? to defeat the encryption? Heck, Iīd be happy if we could at least get access to the ps2 partition.
    Can we use the ps2side to get access to bluetooth and use that in anyway?

lol, Iīm also running out of ideas, so these ideas are probably loco

@hosmy
    That is an interesting thought, since Linux would have acces to the GS in ps2mode, I wonder how it would compare to Linux through the other OS. I tried to start an install with kloader but it didnīt work. Considering the differences in hardware and the bios, I expected that. Maybe with some modifications?

@aries2k6's
    since you cannot install onto ps3 internal hdd (encrypted, sata controller and many other issues) you'll need a usb hdd, therefore you need to patch it

As for this work, it worth to be tried, .if. this can be possible, we have alot to hack. One thing could be disc access, yeah, i know mc is emulated but is physical stored on gameos partition, other thing could be a bug since this mode was not so "popular", released only on few models

New idea and maybe the last chance is NetBSD! and ..we have an advantage.... it's more flexible

@hosmy,
    Ya, I do think itīs worth trying. I suppose the 1st step for me would be to try and install Linux on my ps2 off of a usb and then try on the ps3. Iīll be honest, Iīm a newbie at Linux and from what I read, it can be a challenge installing it from usb even on the PS2. So Iīm going to need to invest some time for this, which is always a problem.

Also I have a PAL 60gb ps3, without the EE chip, so that could also be a problem. If anybody with the SM discs, has a fully compatible ps2-ps3 and is Linux friendly wants to give this a try, itīs worth looking into.

if i remember correctly, there were some videos on youtube stating that he got some ps3 iso-loader running. the method that was used was to switch into the ps2 mode, then through a modified game save or something similar was executed and the ps3 then returns back to xmb, allowing to run backups of ps3-games.... it was a long time ago and did only work on the ntsc-version (propably a physical EE was needed) and it was not released because it won't work on the pal-machines....

it is an interesting statement about using the GS in linux-side. most uses tries to access the rsx, but i think nobody has really tried to contact the GS from linux. the hypervisor is somthing that is running everytime. in xmb, in otheros and even in ps2/ps1 mode...maybe there is a trick to let the HV think to be in ps2 mode, but running linux then (as native PPC, not the EE-Linux) and get access to the GS?

Sponsored Links
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News