Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Well... PS and PS2 Backups would be a software thing, like the backup manager.. and not something to do with the dongle itself.

Also the same for NTFS support, a driver would need wrote for the ps3 to support NTFS, again nothing to do with the dongle...

Mick

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I don't see why so many people want ps2 support... we need ps3 support first lol. If you want to play a ps2 game, just get a ps2 and swap magic or solder in a $20 modchip.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I would love to have ps2 support, but like you said its way down the list for things I want. I have enough to keep me busy with current games.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Well still nothing from him and his crew, that's not surprising at all.

Even if it does not support playing ps3 games from hdd, can't you just use the backup manager from the psjailbreak to do that?

The USB dongle enables installation of unsigned homebrew software - As far as I understand it, the dongle itself has absolutely nothing to do filesystem limitations.

It is the SOFTWARE that you install with it that has limitations on it - be it limitations with the software written, or be it with the access / abilities afforded to it by the PS3 Hypervisor.

It is quite possible that in the coming weeks/months/years homebrew developers will provide software that allows for Ext2/Ext3/NTFS or any other variation of file system (Assuming this is allowed by any remaining restrictions that the Hypervisor enforces).

PS1/PS2 compatibility - If you can't currently play PS1 or PS2 games - then you're not going to be able to with the PSJB until such time as a dev writes homebrew that allows you to.

If you CAN play PS1/PS2 games (i.e. have a FAT console with 4 USB) they you will still be able to - Not sure if the backup manage that is currently available will allow you to backup those games - but i'm sure there will be a solution for those with 4USB

NTFS - yeah well it might be nice (ext2/ext3 wld be better tho! IMHO), but even if there isn't any way to read/write NTFS filesystem due to hypervisor, I wouldn't think it will be long before someone writes a new backup manager that allows for split files (e.g. File.001, File.002) which would be a very quick and easy solution to the 4gb limit.

I'm looking forward to the following:-
    1. Cheap clones
    2. Confirmation that Sony detection can be bypassed
    3. A huge barrage of homebrew, including better backup managers, VNC client/servers, Homebrew games etc etc etc

PSPSwampy.
    Last edited by PSPSwampy; 08-31-2010 at 06:25 PM Reason: tidy up

Guys the jailbreak does not enable the ps3 to play backups from hdd this does the Backup Manager.The jailbreak set the flag for the console from RETAIL to DEBUG and there for you can use the Backup Manager app.

When Mathieulh´s crew want to remove the Backup Support they have to remove the part to swich the console into DEBUG mode and this is crap. Why then cloning the usb modchip and releasing the code to flash onto a USB dev or demo device?To do what, not enabling the DEBUG mode and only blocking FW and PSN updates?

And even when they block the ID of the Backup Manager in the FW then we just need to change the Title ID of the Manager and here we go.

This is not true, sorry. I've been disassembling the "shellcode" and it patches a whole bunch of things. One of them is specifically patching the file open code, looking for "/dev_bdvd" at the start and creating a new file path based on a prefix that's been set by running the backup manager. The hack to enable the install package option is seperate to this.

This also explains why the backup manager doesn't work on test units - because the API call the jig creates so that the backup manager can set the prefix doesn't exist yet.

There are too many posts to read through, so if I could just get a crash course in what's happening, I would greatly appreciate it.

From what I understand, they will publicly document how to DIY the exploit, but they will be changing the way it works? There will now be no option to run the backup manager as I understand? What about homebrew, will that too be disabled?

Quote Originally Posted by xUb3rn00dlEx View Post
    There are too many posts to read through, so if I could just get a crash course in what's happening, I would greatly appreciate it.

From what I understand, they will publicly document how to DIY the exploit, but they will be changing the way it works? There will now be no option to run the backup manager as I understand? What about homebrew, will that too be disabled?
    well, it seems that they will only release the exploit and document it - which is something that i believe, to be the right move. They don't want to be the ones responsible for banning thousands of PS3s, if sony patches the firmware so to avoid the shell open code patching for the games backup to work and starts banning ppl.

For sure, some ppl will come up later on and with the exploit in hand, craft some new tools for backups, homebrew, etc.
    Last edited by Keeper75; 08-31-2010 at 07:34 PM

Sponsored Links

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News