Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I don't get why a different ID is used than the original game ID since it's using the BD Emulator built in the PS3 OS to play the games. So basically, it's suppose to show the ID of the game you're playing since it's a total emulation of the disk, which doesn't even use some 'homebrew' code. I think they might have been some misunderstanding of the Title ID stuff: i'm sure the only time the fake ID is used is when you're in the Backup Manager. After, the game is mounted using official debug functions and launched like a real game.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by kingpin007 View Post
    I guess the market will be flooded soon with ps3 usb mod sticks and the price will come down so I should hold off on purchasing the usb modkey?
    I seriously doubt they're going to go well below $30 any time soon, and that's the approximate price one of these programmable sticks is going to run you. Of course, you never know, the Chinese clones may be down to $15 shortly after they launch to stay competitive with DIY solutions.

All said, if you're willing to wait you certainly should, since there are sure to be kinks no one even sees yet that will be ironed out in the next two weeks to a month.

Sponsored Links

Cool

Sponsored Links
    Let's try to keep this thread more on the Dev topic, and use the one in the hacks section for general discussion. That said, here is what I believe may be a disassembly attempt from n00b130 on IRC for anyone interested:

[Register or Login to view code]

Quote Originally Posted by daveribz View Post
    I don't get why a different ID is used than the original game ID since it's using the BD Emulator built in the PS3 OS to play the games.
    It doesn't use the built in BD emulator at all. What it actually does is patch the file open routine and if the string starts with "/dev_bdvd" it adds the rest of the filename to a prefix which backup manager has previously set, starting with "/dev_hdd0/game/LAUN12345/"

As far as the game is concerned it's running off the blu-ray because it's making requests for /dev_bdvd/something, but it's actually loading from elsewhere.

Great article, i am glad this was done so fast

Quote Originally Posted by tragedy View Post
    It doesn't use the built in BD emulator at all. What it actually does is patch the file open routine and if the string starts with "/dev_bdvd" it adds the rest of the filename to a prefix which backup manager has previously set, starting with "/dev_hdd0/game/LAUN12345/"

As far as the game is concerned it's running off the blu-ray because it's making requests for /dev_bdvd/something, but it's actually loading from elsewhere.
    Thanks for lighting me up I didn't knew about the patching thing.. So why don't we use the built in bd emu to run games? Is it even possible on 'modded' retail consoles? I guess it will be soon, since the PS3 pretty much opened up.

Here's a better disassembly than the previous one:

[Register or Login to view code]

Last edited by tragedy; 09-02-2010 at 08:20 PM

Quote Originally Posted by tragedy View Post
    Here's a better disassembly than the previous one:
    Very nice job tragedy- Thanks for sharing it here and +Rep!

Quote Originally Posted by Jes03 View Post
    Isn't this just telling $ony how its done so now they know exactly how to patch it?
    I certainly hope not. Things are just starting to take off now.

Quote Originally Posted by CodeKiller View Post
    in this regards, it theoretically can be used with v-usb (software usb for atmega) as it only bind to 8 bytes-packets: slow-speed usb

bad text-align... sorry, forgot to preview.
    Great! I'm highly interested in the posibility to port it to v-usb. This would push down the price of the device to around 10-15$.

Sponsored Links
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News