Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25



  1. #11
    Junior Member hacked2123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    665
    The PIC18F4550 cost around $5.00 for one. (src=http://www.microchipdirect.com/ProductSearch.aspx?Keywords=PIC18F4550)
    plus 2 LEDs and USB male attachment and PCB board+resistors and capacitors...guessing $3.00 total?

    So... the logical price for a PS3 hack is 20 times the cost of production?

  2. #12
    Registered User red8316's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by hacked2123 View Post
    The PIC18F4550 cost around $5.00 for one. (src=http://www.microchipdirect.com/ProductSearch.aspx?Keywords=PIC18F4550)
    plus 2 LEDs and USB male attachment and PCB board+resistors and capacitors...guessing $3.00 total?

    So... the logical price for a PS3 hack is 20 times the cost of production?
    I was thinking about this today. $120 - $140 per unit is pretty steep. I get what they are trying to do, but if they want to head off clones they should have aimed more at market penetration rather than quick profits.

    Then again, I'm not sure how long this outfit would last with all the attention they're getting. But, if they dropped it to $60 - $80 a unit, they would probably double, if not triple the number of people willing to buy one immediately. I would almost certainly pick one up at the $60 price point.

    I guess in the end they are likely skimming the top of the market clientele, because you can do that when you've got a monopoly product.

    Here's hoping for some quick clones or free methods.
    Last edited by red8316; 08-22-2010 at 10:51 PM Reason: grammar

  3. #13
    Senior Member BwE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    709
    Don't just price the parts, price the software

  4. #14
    Contributor tripellex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    187
    You also have to take into consideration the costs garnered by both wholesale price (i.e. the higher the quantity they order from the manufacturer = the lower the component costs = the lower the price per unit) and also manufacturing costs (how much it costs the factory, probably in China, to refit a production line, etch the PCBs, etc). Someone would have had to have went through a lot of trouble and had a lot of cash to have a production line set up, as typical Chinese manufacturing facilities charge upwards of $100,000 just to set one up.

    I imagine more likely they used an existing production line and an off-the-shelf solution to mass produce them so quickly. Evidence of this is how quickly X3Jailbreak has sprung up (assuming the pic showing all of their units isn't Photoshopped). We just need to find out who is producing them and where, and what prefab unit they are using.

  5. #15
    Forum Moderator PS3 News's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    26,871
    Quote Originally Posted by tripellex View Post
    Evidence of this is how quickly X3Jailbreak has sprung up (assuming the pic showing all of their units isn't Photoshopped). We just need to find out who is producing them and where, and what prefab unit they are using.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the same group of people producing the originals are also cashing in on the clones, as this happened with previous mod-chips often.

    For example, Paul Owen and Thomas Wright were peddling the Neo chips and Neil Brown and David France were selling clones so everyone was making boatloads of cash while they could from both ends.

  6. #16
    Contributor tripellex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    187
    That may be true. However it may also be that whatever manufacturer originally created the Service Center JIGs for Sony may also be the same company producing the clones. When it comes to manufacturers in China, you never know. A lot of times they'll make two rival's very similar products in the same factory.

    So there may be that, who knows. I have a feeling though that this is just some generic dongle manufacturer using a ready-made solution. If from what I gather is correct, all they'd need to do is have it output a certain HW ID upon system boot, then possibly load a very minimal firmware or fileset. Easy enough to have taken from the original leaked JIG I'm sure.

  7. #17
    Senior Member TUHTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    323
    well, it is not simple USB Pendrive, its like Modchip,So that means that we have to Assemble our own USB JIGs and Load Soft there? From PS Jailbreak...

  8. #18
    Junior Member hacked2123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    665
    Quote Originally Posted by PS3 News View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if the same group of people producing the originals are also cashing in on the clones, as this happened with previous mod-chips often.

    For example, Paul Owen and Thomas Wright were peddling the Neo chips and Neil Brown and David France were selling clones so everyone was making boatloads of cash while they could from both ends.
    I've also been thinking the same thing. Was thinking the original manufactures would go so far as you program 'time-bombs' into the hardware to fail on X date to make you think all Chinese chips are crud, and you have to buy the $160 one... and no one would do anything because of the monopoly they would have still.

  9. #19
    Registered User xantra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    22

    Thumbs Up

    Connexions next to the ? is for send the program on the . Schema of the TOP and BOTTOM is not complet, but i can complet it, i post documents when it's finish.

    About the dump memory of the PIC, someone have made it? The protection can be break on the 18F. Escuse me for my bad english, I'm french.

  10. #20
    Registered User jayjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by xantra View Post
    (...)The protection can be break on the 18F. (...)
    How?!? i know you can glitch the 16Fxxx but 18Fxxx are pretty secure.. a voltage monitor inside the chip and a protection against frequency glitching..

    do you have any information on how to break the lock bits on a 18Fxx without acid and a microscope?!?

 


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast