Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Sponsored Links

PS JailBreak OtherOS Installer

Sponsored Links
    I have now updated the first post with a PoC video enabling features in the PS3 XMB from Sh1m3oN as well with some details on how to do it from Reaver at TeknoGods.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by evilak View Post
    The easy part is implementing these menus and even runing otherOS but I bet money that Sony has removed sys calls that make running linux possible.
    Probably it won't be possible to run linux with the same kernels as before. But there's no reason why we can't run a linux kernel that pretends to be game os. The only downside is that it'd be possible to trash the game os disk accidentally, whereas before linux couldn't do any damage to gameos.

The ironic thing is that Sony had an excellent hypervisor that did a very good job of sandwalling linux off from the rest of the system. Linux running with game os privileges would allow RSX access, ability to get the security SPU to decrypt data, etc...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Rsx access in other os was never totally disproven, no driver and that same problem will allways exist. rsx never had a driver except for game os unless on the small chance that "cell" demo ibm had running with mac osx was on a prototype "ps3" I put ps3 in quotations because I know it was in a mac case but who knows what motherboard was in it. My guess is it was a off the shelf mac with a cell accelleration board.

I even asked ibm for more info in a few e-mails to different departments but always got the customer service number which would be useless knowing who is probably behind the phone.

Your other problem is going to be to partition the drive correctly, ready for it to take Linux, assuming you can get everything else working. If we can't get the original XMB module installed there doesn't seem any easy way to do this, other than reversing the way the PS3 sets up the partitions.

As I understand it, when you install otheros, it erases your current drive, creates a new PS3 cellfs (gameos format) partition, and then a standard EXT3 partition that takes the linux side.

Some analysis of a 3.15 Linux enabled drive on a PC would be valuable. I only have 3.41, where of course the cellfs is non-readable (but can be dumped using DD on a PC using Linux).

On OtherOS enabled PS3s, you basically have to re-create the CellFS partition with one of two fixed sizes: 10GB or <HDD size>-10GB. Would be interesting to see if the mkfs.self that comes with the leaked SDK still offers the option to create two partitions.

But for starters developers don't have to worry about that since Linux will happily run off a attached USB HDD

Question

What do we know about UPDATE.PUP file formats so far? PUP header and payload. Are we already looking at making a 3.41 firmware masquerade as a 3.42 firmware file?

The PUP files are no problem and can be extracted without a problem. The problem are the PKG files within which are encrypted so ... sorry, no cigar.

Quote Originally Posted by sapperlott View Post
    The PUP files are no problem and can be extracted without a problem. The problem are the PKG files within which are encrypted so ... sorry, no cigar.
    I'm asking if the full dump of the PS3 GameOs coming from the Nand can help us to understand the encryption / Decrytpion schema of the pup update file.

Quote Originally Posted by Siggy12 View Post
    I'm asking if the full dump of the PS3 GameOs coming from the Nand can help us to understand the encryption / Decrytpion schema of the pup update file.
    Not really much of help though without actual encryption keys I'm afraid

Quote Originally Posted by pip1 View Post
    Rsx access in other os was never totally disproven, no driver and that same problem will allways exist.
    Not necessarily. In certain firmwares there was a RSX hack found by IronPeter and Glaurung that enabled to use some nVidia objects to get accelerated graphics - see forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=8364 These were directly taken from open source nVidia driver implementation called nouveau - see nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/ So these could be used to write/compile new driver for RSX as it is basically nVidia chip.

Also nouveau is supporting Gallium3D - see freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/gallium There also exists CELL driver for Gallium3D that provides accelerated graphics computed by CELL SPUs - see mesa3d.org/cell.html That page however seems a bit outdated...

Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News