ProDG Debugger and Target Manager for PS3 Unveiled!

As a follow-up to last week's post, this week we deliver more information on the http://www.snsys.com/products/ suite of products, specifically the Target Manager and ProDG Debugger for PS3.

As most recall, for ages SN Systems tools have required license files, usually based off a PC's MAC address and only available to licensed developers. We managed to 'acquire' a few for our PS3 Devs, but in addition to those each EXE had to be modified... but it was not a problem for one of our talented DEVs!

In the video below (clear version HERE), it demonstrates adding the SN license file, and showing that it is valid.

After that the Target Manager (which facilitates PC/PS3 communications) is started up, the old TEST removed, and then readded. Upon readding we take a quick browse around the program, while connecting to the PS3. It shows the PS3's IP address, SDK version (at 2.40) among other information.

Next the PS3 Debugger is started up, and we show its base operations. From in here one can load in a SELF, along with the ELF, and debug the code that one has just made. It allows access to registers, memory, and loads of information needed to properly develop a program.

Finally we launch a SELF from the Target Manager. This specific SELF does not return any data from the PS3 to the output window, as like other SELF's requires activity on the PS3 side to trigger debug events. The Target is finally put to bed, by setting it to shutdown.

Stay tuned later this week for a video of the PS3's BD-Emu in action!

More PlayStation 3 News...

does this mean the dev team will be able to develop their own signed code?

They already can/do develop their own code for PS3 TEST consoles... this just means they will be able to better-debug/examine other PS3 files now too!

but will the signed code run on retail ps3 systems?

Quote Originally Posted by deathklok View Post
    but will the signed code run on retail ps3 systems?
    no... not yet. I imagine it'll be a bit before that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by DevR View Post
    no... not yet. I imagine it'll be a bit before that happens.
    Actually its ONLY the Signed Code that runs on retail PS3. Signed by Sony's Algorythm key of course

Dev's are running UNSIGNED code on the dev units. and therein lies the difference and the need to identify how to convert retail PS3's to dev units. or modify and create a CFW if you will for the retail units to allow unsigned code to run.

Registered User rickdangerous22's Avatar

Gettong out of Debugger mode

I have a Debug PS3 and changed the start up to "Debugger" mode, in the Debug settings menue, to check how i may be able to test some of my potential files, now the unit only ever start in "Debugger" mode and and i cant seem to start up back in retail or software mode? anyone any ideas?
    Last edited by rickdangerous22; 02-24-2009 at 09:01 PM Reason: typo

Its an easy fix, just when the PS3 is in standby mode (red light), hold down the power button for about 5 seconds (until it beeps), and it will then boot into the system software mode, and you can then reset it to always boot to the software instead of the debugger!

this could be a very very useful thing for the future! if we will be able to decrypt (and so to make ps3 executing unsigned code) we will be able to write our code, to make the ps3 doing what we want... for now, I'm just dreaming.

Nice to hear

Hopfully i will get my dev ps3, not that i can do a lot with it becouse im not a coder. But over the last years i started to get deeper in the console szene and have my beginning with ripping of ps2 games.Today im to study of sources from Wii HB apps to change it a tittle bit and make it mor use able for the community.A fews will be hopfully ready for release within the next days.

Im hot to play around with my dev ps3 and test some apps you guys made