Pongus: First Legal PS3 Homebrew Game is Now Available

Today PSGroove reports that the first legal (not built with the leaked PS3 SDK) PS3 homebrew game dubbed Pongus for PlayStation 3 JailBreak users is now available courtesy of CodeZombie.

Download: Pongus PS3 Homebrew Game with Source Code

To quote: This is the first PS3 homebrew game to use no copyrighted code. The game was coded from the ground up, entirely with the PSL1GHT SDK. Here is what CodeZombie had to say about his release:

Pongus is a simple pong clone, demonstrating the basic features of the PSL1GHT SDK.

Right now, it's in a playable state, with enemy AI, collision detection, Speed advancement and simple controls.

I am aware that there is already a much better pong clone available for the PS3, but that package contains leaked Sony code, and is illegal to distribute.

This package is the opposite, written completely with the Open PSL1GHT SDK. No Sony code was used to write this game, and thus, is able to be freely distributed, source and all."

More PlayStation 3 News...
    Attached Files Attached Files

This is cool! The first official homebrew game release!

Ok I have a double negative but you I guess that makes a positive

Anyway, first of all it probably isn't really correct to decribe this game as legal, as it has been created using, and for, reverse engineered products, which as we all know is not legal. The fact that the actually SDK used for development does not have a copyright associated with it is neither here nor there.

Secondly - Woohoo! I can turn my PS3 into an Atari 2600

Had to get those out there, but seriously... Well done on the work and the progress

I don't know what it is about everyone 'respecting the law', but really, when there's discernable doubt whether or not reverse engineering is 'legal' or 'illegal' at this point, then I'd say it goes without saying that the current law is 'crazy', and should not even be respected at all.

I mean, it is technically 'illegal' of Sony to hold patches they commit to a toolchain that is licensed under the GPL to themselves - since GPL stands for GNU GENERAL PUBLIC License, and no, posting those patches on scedev.net and restricting access to it on a developer-by-developer basis (you basically have to ask Sony if you could PLEASE get the patches they committed to the toolchain) does not strike me as being very 'general public' at all.

So, really, Sony can screw over their customers (OtherOS removal) and get to freeload off open-source software for all the want and violate the license with their obtuse refusal to share patches, but oh noes if the customer/homebrewer is suspected of 'violating' the law...

Pong on Atari 2600
    Power Consumption: 9w 9v 500ma 4.5VA

Pong on Original PS3
    Power Consumption: 170w

Can't wait to play Pong on my PS9, it will run on 1kilowatt instead... if I'm lucky and buy the PS9 slim it will use .5kilowatts instead.

Pong on Slim PS3
    Power Consumption: 80w

Quote Originally Posted by xxxgizmoxxx View Post
    Secondly - Woohoo! I can turn my PS3 into an Atari 2600
    )
    Dude I would have traded an Atari 2600 to you for your ps3 years ago.... All you had to do was ask.

*sarcasm

Its nice to finally see a fully open source game written on the ps3, not relying on the official ps3 sdk at all