Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Thumbs Up

Sponsored Links
    Something else strikes me as highly interesting:
    Quote Originally Posted by CJPC View Post
    Using this, we have already found where the encrypted keys are stored for SELF's, PKG's, and BD Pairing among other things, more on that in the weeks to come.
    Have you also found where keys for HDD are stored? If so, it would greatly help those attempting to decrypt the HDD contents and possibly create a filesystem driver for other OSs.

Even if not, do I read it correctly that you have everything to be able to decrypt SELF files?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by RexVF5 View Post
    Something else strikes me as highly interesting:
    Quote Originally Posted by CJPC View Post
    Using this, we have already found where the encrypted keys are stored for SELF's, PKG's, and BD Pairing among other things, more on that in the weeks to come.
    Have you also found where keys for HDD are stored? If so, it would greatly help those attempting to decrypt the HDD contents and possibly create a filesystem driver for other OSs.

Even if not, do I read it correctly that you have everything to be able to decrypt SELF files?
    he speaks of encrypted keys are stored...???

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Hi,

First, congratulations to RPS for his reverse engineering! This is indeed very good news and I'm very happy to hear that the hash algorithm was RE-ed!

Now I just have a few questions though, what does it mean exactly when you say that you modified the flash? what files can be modified? which files need the ECC? I was under the impression that the files on the flash are not only checksummed but also encrypted and signed.. I don't think you got the certificate, so even if you can provide a valid checksum, you still can't modify signed files...

Or is it that only ELF executables are signed, and there are other files that are not (libraries?) or is it that there is a 'core' application that is unsigned and that's the application that will check the signature, so it's not signed by itself ?

If it is, then isn't it encrypted? wasn't there a chain of trust that will not allow you to modify the flash because the hypervisor/bootloader would check its signature/encryption ?

I'm hoping that all the bootloader/hypervisor did was check the ECC, and that you can modify the kernel/WM which is itself unsigned and does the signature checking.. this way you can hack it to bypass the signature checking..

I would also like to know *how* you were able to figure out where the encryption keys were stored by modifying the flash.

Anyways, thanks for your efforts, and I'm glad we're seeing some advancement from the dev scene! Keep it up!

KaKaRoTo

wow this seems to be awesome news xD ... ALL ps3 devs are online, if i see it right ...

Files can be swapped with other valid files from other consoles (debug or other retails) then some files can be edited and patched (mac address can be changed and other interesting things can be done).

There are lot of changes that can successfully be done but yes: signed files cannot be modified or the signature is lost.

nice, nice, nice work ndt & rps !!!!!

Banned User
    glad to hear the good news! everyday we're learning how the ps3 hardware is running and possibly one step closer to making a custom firmware (?)

do i hear hybrid retail mixed with debug firmware?? hahaha would be awesome...

this is very cool progress. Can't wait for the upcoming information

Quote Originally Posted by NDT View Post
    Files can be swapped with other valid files from other consoles (debug or other retails) then some files can be edited and patched (mac address can be changed and other interesting things can be done).

There are lot of changes that can successfully be done but yes: signed files cannot be modified or the signature is lost.
    Cool.. Now i understand what this means as always.. thanks for the awesome job .. i'm gonna go a celebrate a bit ..
    Keep up the good job guys!!!

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - PS3 Forums - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News