Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 41



  1. #11
    Banned User
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    no new idea or new development on this interesting road?

  2. #12
    Member dondolo's Avatar
    Sponsored Links

    Thumbs Down

    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmojo02 View Post
    Guys, see this thread for a link to download the lv2 dumps.
    if you read demonhades's blog update you know that lv2 was obatained using linux kernel that overwrote most of it...

  3. #13
    Senior Member Preceptor's Avatar
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by CJPC View Post
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I have successfully flashed a full Debug firmware (thanks to the service mode box, yet again)- the problem becomes on reboot, the system checks the installed CoreOS and it fails- beeps kind of funny too, very unique beeping noise (kind of like when you have a bad video card in a PC). So, even skipping past the whole PUP check thing, it still will recheck the installed software on reboot - and since there is a mismatch, it sadly fails.

    Now, if you keep the retail CoreOS intact, and replace everything else with debug packages (ie, the dev_flash etc) - you end up with a "hybrid", which was also done ages ago via the HDD swap method!
    CJPC, mate, that sucks a lot... I really had my hopes up for the Retail -> Debug conversion project.

    What happened with the ps3 that was previously in service mode? Did the debug firmware flash brick it? It was so hard to find a working service mode ps3...

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by dondolo View Post
    if you read demonhades's blog update you know that lv2 was obatained using linux kernel that overwrote most of it...
    Yes, but its the best we have at the moment. I don't see any problem in linking other users to it.

  5. #15

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Preceptor View Post
    CJPC, mate, that sucks a lot... I really had my hopes up for the Retail -> Debug conversion project.

    What happened with the ps3 that was previously in service mode? Did the debug firmware flash brick it? It was so hard to find a working service mode ps3...
    No, that's the magic of it - you can recover back to a "working" system by reflashing. The system (like all PS3's) has a backup CoreOS, so if one fails to boot, it will boot the other. Of course, on a normal system, the boot will still fail, but on a service mode box, there is enough to trigger the "service mode" stuff, and then you can get the box up and running again.

  7. #17
    So, in other words - we all agree now that Geohot's hack didn't give us something useful. And that you need to write your own firmware from scratch, for unidentified interfaces and functions, as well as overcome the encryption - in order to actually create a custom firmware that boots on retail boxes.

    In the same way: removing otherOS was useless, does nothing whatsoever to stop "hacking", and improves security by exactly nothing.

    Seriously... I wonder how much money Sony spent on getting this fix in. Most likely it just served as a good opportunity to pull the plug on the linux project and contacts, now that the game-OS is more or less complete as far as functions. Sony HQ are fools.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by nipsen View Post
    So, in other words - we all agree now that Geohot's hack didn't give us something useful. And that you need to write your own firmware from scratch, for unidentified interfaces and functions, as well as overcome the encryption - in order to actually create a custom firmware that boots on retail boxes.
    Nope mate, CJPC's retail to debug conversion project had nothing to do with Geohot's hack. They managed to get a working service mode retail ps3 so they could experiment a little.

    So CJPC forced it to install a debug firmware, it did but due to another system check it halts during boot. So we need to find a way to block that second check or something or else we can kiss the project goodbye.

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by nipsen View Post
    In the same way: removing otherOS was useless, does nothing whatsoever to stop "hacking", and improves security by exactly nothing.
    ummm i wouldn't say that removing otheros was useless to them... it took our way of "trying" to dump a complete GameOs dump making the system slightly more secure... but there is always a possibility that the system can be hacked... i'm actualy surprised that a major exploit hasn't been found through one of the very buggy games that has been released for the ps3. l

    ike you said this was just there excuse to pull the linux program that people have sunk somtimes thousands of dollars to programs for the Cell/B.E. and spent all that time getting it working correctly on there ps3s... but they have kinda coverd their butts on that one because they released a blade server with almost the same hardware just a few little differences and RSX drivers were supplied...

  10. #20
    This is the path I would like to see succeed the most. I'm just throwing ideas out here but, couldn't you make the debug firmware look like a retail, i mean, on the PS3s end, so when it goes to boot, it will think its booting retail but really its a debug boot?

 
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - PS3 Forums - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News