Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Question Playing PS2 Games on PS3

Sponsored Links
    Hey everyone, i know this topic has probably been discussed previously, but i have a 40gig PS3 and im heaps keen to play PS2 games on it. Ive had a look at a bunch of boards and i get mixed answers from them all. Some say yes, some say no, some say yes with an emu, so i figured id ask you guys (as you seem to know whats going on) to shed some light on the situation....

Cheers and sorry for the noob post ^^

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I'm 99% sure that the 40 gig is not PS2 backwards compatible and will not be. It is because or hardware issues not software.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    hello rasc sorry for taking so long to answer your question, I wasnt really here this weekend.

the ps3 has a couple of models out which mainly can be identified by there hard drive capacity. The first models where the 60gb and 20gb which both played ps2 games natively with a chip called emotion.

The second generation included a 40gb and an 80gb but the only one capable of playing ps2 games was the 80gb but this time emulating the ps2 games, most of the games run perfectly though but the ps3 got rid of the emotion chip that made ps2 games run natively due to cost in making the machine.

If you are stuck with a 40gb version your ps3 cant play ps2 games. Right now a new generation is out with an 80gb hard disk which is the same as the 40gb version but with more GB in there HD.

check the wikipedia for playstation3 and you will find a chart with the complete list of features of each model besides the ps2 backward compatibility they have even more stuff worth looking at.

Just got the MSG 80 Gig bundle. I hope this one is PS2 compatible.

All newer ps3's are not backwards compatible. Only launch consoles and ones manufactured shortly after. Beginning with the first hardware revision and price drop they stripped the ps1/2 hardware necessary for backwards compatibility.

It is possible ps1/2 games may be supported in the future through emulation.

when will the emulator appear?

Quote Originally Posted by overclock View Post
    All newer ps3's are not backwards compatible. Only launch consoles and ones manufactured shortly after. Beginning with the first hardware revision and price drop they stripped the ps1/2 hardware necessary for backwards compatibility.

It is possible ps1/2 games may be supported in the future through emulation.
    No my dear friend, ps1 emulation is compatible with all the playstation3 versions. Only ps2 bc is the problem not ps1 bc.

does the ps3 emulate the ps1? or does it actually have hardware. i always wondered this even tho its pretty pointless.

the newer versions of ps3 also lack of ps2 compatibility?

Quote Originally Posted by jesica667 View Post
    the newer versions of ps3 also lack of ps2 compatibility?
    YES the 80gb with only 2 usb ports lacsk the ps2 compatibility
    Quote Originally Posted by flanker22 View Post
    does the ps3 emulate the ps1? or does it actually have hardware. i always wondered this even tho its pretty pointless.
    Im almost 100% sure its emulation via software. As I only recall reading about the emotion chip hardware being used to play the ps2 games, not the ps1 games. Later on the emotion chip was removed and the ps2 games where emulated via software and thus only working about 90 - 95% of the ps2 games. The emotion chip did run 100% of the games.
    Last edited by adrianc1982; 10-06-2008 at 04:14 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - PS3 Forums - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 3 News