Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

PC to PS3 Transferring for JailBreak

Sponsored Links
    So far the methods to transfer a game from the PC to PS3 have been:
    1 - External HDD
    2 - USB stick
    3 - FTP server

For me none of these were an option for very large games for various reasons, so I tried transferring a game piece by piece and sure enough it seemed to have worked.

I'm not sure whether it needs to be done or not but but I kept the file required for the manager to recognize the game by name (I forget which, param.sfo? Someone please confirm...) on the USB stick I was using. Without keeping the file there the game would be recognized just by the code/root folder name.

Then I started up an FTP server just to make sure it overwrote the same file (for recognition) I kept and it seemed to have done so.

One thing I wanted to note is that discs copied through Open Manger to the HDD have their codes' letters and numbers separated by a dash (such as BCUS-98164) in the GAMEZ folder while the games available online to download all seem to have the code as one with no dash. What I'm getting at is one of the two is technically incorrect.

When copied from an online source it would display by the folder name which everyone makes without the dash. Meanwhile any associated game data are in the game folder (one directory up from the manager folder where the games are) does not use a dash either, and that's the official Sony directory rather than homebrew. I guess in conclusion I'm saying if it were even the folder of the game which was what was detected rather than the manager code Sony might still detect it as a copy based on whether or not it has a dash.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Not sure how this belongs in this section.

Closed till can be moved or removed.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    I moved it to PS3 Help and reopened it, although after reading it seems more "observational" than "help me" so I am not sure myself... but it definitely isn't PS3 Hacks news so I think we are safe to move it from that section.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by PS3 News View Post
    I moved it to PS3 Help and reopened it, although after reading it seems more "observational" than "help me" so I am not sure myself... but it definitely isn't PS3 Hacks news so I think we are safe to move it from that section.
    Sorry about that, I noticed I put it in the wrong place too late. I was editing it to leave a message to ask for it to be moved as it was locked.

I meant to put this in the jailbreak section since it seemed most relevant to that. Please move it there or anywhere else you think is more appropriate. I did not intend this to be in the help section.

The purpose of the thread was to let people know that they can just transfer games to their PS3s pieces at a time and it will work. I was looking for whether or not this is possible but couldn't find an answer anywhere which is why I posted here to let others know once I had tested it myself. Also I figured it was worth pointing out the root folder name/game code difference (the dash). It'll be worth noting in case in the future the jailbreak is modified to use the game code/name rather than the manager's code.
    Last edited by Neo Cyrus; 11-19-2010 at 05:52 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Well your right in that the - is technically incorrect. Doubt they are digging that deep to find out if we are doing "unauthorized activite" on our systems.

As far as the moving of files I found the best way for me was moving the external drive back and forth. But 99% of my games have been ripped right off the disc so its not really an issue.

The only reason I wasn't sure whether games could be transferred in pieces or not was because I didn't know how Open Manager would handle two folders of the same name. I didn't know if it would entirely replace the old one or merge them and overwrite any identical files.

My current external drive only has an eSATA connector and my other larger storage chips are detected by the PS3 but for some reason not detected in Open Manager so I was left with my ancient 8GB USB stick. Moving 7.44GB at a time isn't that bad but I seriously need to get something better. I can't use an FTP because aside from taking forever I'm on a tight bandwidth limit (80GB/m).

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Cyrus View Post
    I meant to put this in the jailbreak section since it seemed most relevant to that. Please move it there or anywhere else you think is more appropriate.
    OK, I will move it there now.

You should feel lucky with 80GB I only get 5GB a month. But as long as your PC and PS3 are on the same Local LAN you should not use up any of your usage, aside from it being slow shouldn't be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by barbnjason View Post
    You should feel lucky with 80GB I only get 5GB a month. But as long as your PC and PS3 are on the same Local LAN you should not use up any of your usage, aside from it being slow shouldn't be a problem.
    Well that pretty much confirms I was not using my brain, I thought it wasn't working as a LAN for some reason. I will use a lack of sleep as an excuse for such a massive mistake and run away now.

Well, that makes transferring in parts utterly useless so long as the PS3 FTP program is stable while transferring. It's completely unstable when not in use.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Cyrus View Post
    It's completely unstable when not in use.
    For most FTP programs you can set the connection to 'Active', this will stabilize the connection while you are being passive.

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News