Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

OzMods on PS3 Homebrew, PS JailBreak Contains No Sony Code

Sponsored Links
    Yesterday we reported that Sony halted PS JailBreak Australian sales and distribution, and today OzMods (linked above) confirms PS3 homebrew will still arrive next week while the PS JailBreak folks stand by their claim that the PlayStation 3 modchip contains no Sony code.

Below is an image from the PS JailBreak discussion via ConsoleWinkel.nl and OzMods full statement, to quote:

"28/08/2010 - Hello Everyone. On Friday the 27/08/2010 we where given some documents from the Lawyers representing Sony. The documents are Federal Court orders for a temporary injunction.

The Injunction states that from 24 hours of receiving the documents to the 31st of August OzModChips, Quantronics, Modsupplier and anyone else in Australia:

- Give up all stock in our possession, including our sample

I guess it was lucky that the device was delayed by a couple of days. While many people that have received their sample and sent it off to cloners....we sent ours to a well known homebrew developer.

The developer we picked showed us various homebrew applications that he had already developed for ps3 dev units, that he wants to port over to retail units. Yes, PS3 homebrew is real and will start flowing through at a steady rate as soon as next week.

- Give up any stock we get between now and the 31st

We are not getting any between these times

- Ozmodchips also cannot:
    Import
    distribute
    Offer
    provide
    or deal with PS Jailbreak devices

These are from the Federal Court of Australia.

All 3 Australian stores we appear in court in some form on the 31st of August. On the 31st the court will decide if there will be a continuation of the "ban" or if we are allowed to sell them.

Our views are the same as Quantronics who posted this info here. This is not OzModChips Vs Sony. This is not OzModChips, Quantronics, Modsupplier Vs Sony. We would go as far as saying that is not even everyone in Australia Vs Sony. This will effect everyone that plans to buy such a device world wide.

It already sets a dangerous precedent. Everyone that was using OtherOS, everyone that has had a faulty PS3 laser... and those interested in PS3 custom firmware and homebrew applications. We cannot do it alone, we need the support of everyone the homebrew community, the media, engineers that understand the inner workings and anyone else that can provide support.

Regarding orders:

If the injunction becomes permanent we will refund everyone that has ordered from us. If it doesn't then we will send all orders as originally planned. There will be no delay to the planned shipping date. We would ask everyone to wait until then.

We have the money sitting in our account which will cover 100% refunds for everyone if that needs to happen. We kindly ask everyone to just hold off until the 31st, as we need all the time we can to prepare.

Thank you for your support!

-OzModChips Team"

More PlayStation 3 News...

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links
    The PS jailbreak team better stop delaying and start shipping fast. Sony has a very solid case this time. Even ignoring the DMCA, the dongles contain proprietary code that is being used without permission.

Sony was serious enough about keeping the PS3 unhackable to lose a portion of their fanbase and get a class action lawsuit against them for removing otherOS. If you think they won't send a bunch of C&D letters when they are on the right side of the law this time, think again. They even have a nice list of official retailers.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
    The PS jailbreak team better stop delaying and start shipping fast. Sony has a very solid case this time. Even ignoring the DMCA, the dongles contain proprietary code that is being used without permission.

Sony was serious enough about keeping the PS3 unhackable to lose a portion of their fanbase and get a class action lawsuit against them for removing otherOS. If you think they won't send a bunch of C&D letters when they are on the right side of the law this time, think again. They even have a nice list of official retailers.
    Sony may have put a stop on the PSJailbreak for now but the dongle has already gotten into developers hands. There's not much they can do about that part now.

The code has done been dumped it appears and there's not much they can do about the upcoming clones that are going to be hitting the market soon enough. It's going to be a never ending battle but the dongle code has already gotten out. They are only delaying the inevitable!

Quote Originally Posted by Kraken View Post

How do you know their using proprietary code? From the looks of it its using custom code to overwhelm the ps3 which means its not proprietary.

we can build our own. It is much easier for sony to stop a business than it is to stop thousands of individual. A business needs to advertise to make profit where as an individual will do it for personal use thus removing advertisement = not giving sony the opportunity to put in court injunctions.

Look @ the psp scene, it has spread like wild fire and sony cant stop it. Why because its not being sold by 1 person or company sony cant get a court order to cease and assists. When it comes to hacking i believe we as hackers hack not for the money but for the recognition, or reputation, or the ability to say i was the first one to hack this product.

Or our team is the best @ what we do, its more of a status thing than anything else. Once money becomes the prime objective every thing goes down hill from there... This is called greed.

Quote Originally Posted by whinis View Post
    How do you know their using proprietary code? From the looks of it its using custom code to overwhelm the ps3 which means its not proprietary.
    Read the other threads regarding the release and dump of the PSJailbreak, the one from germany. They analyzed it and it indeed does have Sony proprietary code in there. If I am mistaken, then I wish diarrhea upon myself.

Quote Originally Posted by xUb3rn00dlEx View Post
    Read the other threads regarding the release and dump of the PSJailbreak, the one from germany. They analyzed it and it indeed does have Sony proprietary code in there. If I am mistaken, then I wish diarrhea upon myself.
    The only thing I seen was that it has the Jig hardware id in it, I am not convinced that a hardware number is copyrightable as any number is. Also they have not dumped the code yet.

Mmm, that doesn't sound too good. Got mine on order from one of the retailers mentioned, haven't received an email about that as yet though. Strange as I've always been able to import and purchase mods and such. Guess I'll see what happens.

And just this regarding Oz Mod Chip - I haven't been refunded as yet.
    Last edited by Field; 08-27-2010 at 11:23 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by whinis View Post
    The only thing I seen was that it has the Jig hardware id in it, I am not convinced that a hardware number is copyrightable as any number is. Also they have not dumped the code yet.
    I am surprised no one has pointed this out yet, but in the good ol' US of A this thing should honestly be 100% legal (Assuming it is not using any JIG software, which we have reason to believe it isn't)

My argument being: The PS Jailbreak device does not enable the use of backups/copies of PS3 video games. It is the exploitation of the device's sole feature, enabling 'home-brew' (user generated software), that allows this.

It is in my humble opinion that no manufacture, device, or software developer be penalized for having 'security vulnerabilities'. If such were the case we should also begin banning the iPod's, Xbox 360's, personal computers, and cell phones in all categories.

luckily they gave off their jailbreaks already.. damn Sony trying to cut in line and take peoples jailbreaks away.. get your own!

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News