Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by tonybologna View Post
    The injunction was for Australia. Modchips are legal in that country but not having backups of games. I've seen people (not you) make the claim that what Sony has done isn't legal. I have to say otherwise. This isn't about the legality of selling modchips in Australia.

This is instead about Sony filing the injunction about being a case of using their copyrighted code. Now, if the PSJailbreak team doesn't have Sony code then there's not much Sony can do about it.
    Exactly, I was actually arguing about the possibility of Sony starting a lawsuit over the legality of PS3 Jailbreaks in the US. From what PSJailbreak has claimed, no confidential sony code is used, though I'm not sure how accurate that is considering how little information we have about the "jig" that is being emulated as one of the connected USB devices. Regardless of whether sony code is used or not, Sony is using this lawsuit as a ploy to both delay sales of PSJailbreaks and also as a chance to analyze the devices themselves.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    It is true that it doesn't have any Sony code in it. The dongle merely fakes the jig ID and uses a stack overflow. The hack is just that, an exploit in Sony's system.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by PSGamer24 View Post
    It is true that it doesn't have any Sony code in it. The dongle merely fakes the jig ID and uses a stack overflow. The hack is just that, an exploit in Sony's system.
    So basically, what you are saying is that an buffer overflow exploit is initiated thus using too much memory from a call stack and overwriting code probably the code that checks if sony's JIG device is actually present?

or instead of overwriting code, it overwrites the return address with the address of an opcode which will cause execution to jump to the user supplied data? e.g. PsJB code to turn it into DFU mode?
    Last edited by Bulldogzz; 08-28-2010 at 11:49 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Don't think they will be able to sell the devices.. Which would also be a good thing anyway, as 9999 out of 10000 will only buy the device for playing illegal games.. It's only a handfull of people who actually would buy it for developing/playing homebrew.

Quote Originally Posted by PSGamer24 View Post
    What's that? Fresh from DigitalFoundry?

Got to hand it to the mod-chip sellers, though.. "None of our program code is based on Sony's confidential code. Or, none of the leaked code is theirs."

Go, little suicide gerbils, go!

well they removed OtherOS to prevent hacking, what are they to do next, disable the usb ports? The deeper they hack the greater chance of Sony releasing updates and bricking systems.

It doesn't bother me that people are trying to hack it but Im just concerned because I've heard older "fat" ps3 are the ones that are failing and I have one of those. But everyone has a purpose in life so more power to you guys. Keep up a good fight!!

Then just keep your firmware low and let the scene do what it does best

CFW may be a possibility.

From Ozmodchips twitter: "Hearing postponed till Friday bc the judge is bz.... :|"

Bad news, lets hope the shipment of PSJailbreaks doesn't arrive during that time? Wonder what the conditions are on the date moving til this Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by PR0r View Post
    From Ozmodchips twitter: "Hearing postponed till Friday bc the judge is bz.... :|"
    Thanks for the update PR0r and +Rep!

Quote Originally Posted by PR0r View Post
    "Hearing postponed till Friday bc the judge is bz.... :|"
    lol what kind of judge gets busy with such a huge claim by a worldwide giant company? Sounds like they are throwing cash at this judge to delay and keep sales from happening as long as possible.

Sponsored Links
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News