Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I don't really understand. OzModchips obviously want to make money selling the PS3JB, yet they've sent their sample to a "well known" homebrewer? Said Homebrewer is also in posession of a PS3 devkit?

Edit: Ah, I just remembered that BOSS said he'll get one of the clones. All should be fine, then.
    Last edited by Raze1988; 08-28-2010 at 12:02 PM

Quote Originally Posted by hacked2123 View Post
    I am surprised no one has pointed this out yet, but in the good ol' US of A this thing should honestly be 100% legal (Assuming it is not using any JIG software, which we have reason to believe it isn't)

My argument being: The PS Jailbreak device does not enable the use of backups/copies of PS3 video games. It is the exploitation of the device's sole feature, enabling 'home-brew' (user generated software), that allows this.

It is in my humble opinion that no manufacture, device, or software developer be penalized for having 'security vulnerabilities'. If such were the case we should also begin banning the iPod's, Xbox 360's, personal computers, and cell phones in all categories.
    I was thinking the same thing but after trying to confirm, I found it was not the case. The recent jailbreaking decision applies to mobile phones only:

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/threatlevel/2010/07/dmcaexemps.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Raze1988 View Post
    I don't really understand. OzModchips obviously want to make money selling the PS3JB, yet they've sent their sample to a "well known" homebrewer? Said Homebrewer is also in posession of a PS3 devkit?
    Yeah, let's hope they actually send it.. I'm quite interested to see how well it works, but more over I want to see what CJPC and the others can do with it. I'm also curious to know who this well known homebrew developer is.

I read some talk on gbatemp that the developer for the Homebrew Channel on Wii is interested in developing homebrew for PS3. I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens.

Still, whether the x3jailbreak is actually sent to CJPC or not, I know he'll get his hands on one of the clones, or the original some how. Other countries are free to sell them when they get stock. I guess the delay was a blessing in disguise.

Quote Originally Posted by Subverter View Post
    we can build our own. It is much easier for sony to stop a business than it is to stop thousands of individual.
    I agree with you. 100%

Well best of luck with the lawsuit. Hopefully the PI will be lifted and Sony will be warned for frivolous lawsuit!

The interesting part of OzModchip's statement is about homebrew. I can't wait to see what'll be released in near future. I also hope the leaked full SDK to hit torrent sites or at least to be easier to find so more people can work on ps3 homebrew.

Quote Originally Posted by dinzy View Post
    I was thinking the same thing but after trying to confirm, I found it was not the case. The recent jailbreaking decision applies to mobile phones only:

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/threatlevel/2010/07/dmcaexemps.pdf
    D. Video games accessible on personal computers and protected by
    technological protection measures that control access to lawfully obtained
    works, when circumvention is accomplished solely for the purpose of good
    faith testing for, investigating, or correcting security flaws or vulnerabilities,
    if:
    The information derived from the security testing is used
    primarily to promote the security of the owner or operator of a
    computer, computer system, or computer network; and
    The information derived from the security testing is used or
    maintained in a manner that does not facilitate copyright
    infringement or a violation of applicable law.
    Seeing as the PS3 was marketed as a "computer" by sony, I think there is some legal defense behind the PSJailbreak, provided they argue that it was designed to facilitate homebrew and legal backups.

I wonder if the ps3 will get a homebrew channel like the wii.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by thering View Post
    Seeing as the PS3 was marketed as a "computer" by sony, I think there is some legal defense behind the PSJailbreak, provided they argue that it was designed to facilitate homebrew and legal backups.
    Why do they need to include backups, just say it was to test security and enable unsigned code.

The injunction was for Australia. Modchips are legal in that country but not having backups of games. I've seen people (not you) make the claim that what Sony has done isn't legal. I have to say otherwise. This isn't about the legality of selling modchips in Australia.

This is instead about Sony filing the injunction about being a case of using their copyrighted code. Now, if the PSJailbreak team doesn't have Sony code then there's not much Sony can do about it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast