Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

OedipusRSX PS3 RSX Reality Synthesizer Documentation Surfaces

Sponsored Links
    Today Sony PlayStation 3 hacker durandal has released OedipusRSX PS3 RSX Reality Synthesizer documentation for other developers to improve graphics utilized in PS3 homebrew applications and games.

Download: [Register or Login to view links] / [Register or Login to view links] (Mirror)

Below is some background on the PS3 RSX 'Reality Synthesizer' via [Register or Login to view links], as follows:

The RSX 'Reality Synthesizer' is a proprietary graphics processing unit (GPU) codeveloped by Nvidia and Sony for the PlayStation 3 game console.

Unless otherwise noted, the following specifications are based on a press release by Sony at the E3 2005 conference, slides from the same conference, and slides from a Sony presentation at the 2006 Game Developer's Conference.

Specifications:
    • 500 MHz on 90 nm process (shrunk to 65 nm in 2008 and to 40 nm in 2010)
    • Based on NV47 Chip (Nvidia GeForce 7800 Architecture)
    • 300+ million transistors
    • Multi-way programmable parallel floating-point shader pipelines
    • Independent pixel/vertex shader architecture
    • 24 parallel pixel-shader ALU pipes clocked @ 550 MHz
    • 5 ALU operations per pipeline, per cycle (2 vector4 , 2 scalar/dual/co-issue and fog ALU, 1 Texture ALU)
    • 16 floating-point operations per pipeline, per cycle
    • 8 parallel vertex pipelines @ 500 MHz
    • 2 ALU operations per pipeline, per cycle (1 vector4 and 1 scalar, dual issue)[citation needed]
    • 10 FLOPS per pipeline, per cycle
    • Floating Point Operations: 251.2 Gigaflops [(24*16* 550)+(8*10*500)]
    • 74 billion shader operations per second [(24 Pixel Shader Pipelines*5 ALUs*550 MHz) + (8 Vertex Shader Pipelines*2 ALUs*500 MHz)]
    • 24 texture filtering units (TF) and 8 vertex texture addressing units (TA)
    • 24 filtered samples per clock
    • Maximum texel fillrate: 12.0 GigaTexels per second (24 textures * 500 MHz)
    • 32 unfiltered texture samples per clock, (8 TA x 4 texture samples)
    • 8 Render Output units / pixel rendering pipelines
    • Peak pixel fillrate (theoretical): 4.0 Gigapixel per second
    • Maximum Z sample rate: 8.0 GigaSamples per second (2 Z-samples * 8 ROPs * 500 MHz)
    • Maximum Dot product operations: 28.6 billion per second
    • 128-bit pixel precision offers rendering of scenes with High dynamic range rendering (HDR)
    • 256 MB GDDR3 RAM at 650 MHz
    • Access to additional 256 MB XDR RAM
    • 128-bit memory bus width
    • 22.4 GB/s read and write bandwidth
    • Cell FlexIO bus interface
    • 20 GB/s read to the Cell and XDR memory
    • 15 GB/s write to the Cell and XDR memory
    • Support for PSGL (OpenGL ES 1.1 + Nvidia Cg)
    • Support for S3TC texture compression

Finally, according to a rumor via [Register or Login to view links], [Register or Login to view links] of Gitbrew's (irssi, /connect -ssl irc.gitbrew.org) Sony PlayStation 3 Hacking Team also gave [Register or Login to view links] the coveted PS3 CEX-DEX.zip file [Register or Login to view links] from PS3 hacker [Register or Login to view links].

To quote: BTW Mathieulh I know you gave [Register or Login to view links] (Durandal Dokuchayev) that CEX-DEX ZIP, that it wasn't you that bundled that up, and you were not supposed to do so either

[Mathieulh] (mathieulh@oper.gitbrew.org): mathieu
    [Mathieulh] &#otheros #opers &#pspdev
    [Mathieulh] *.gitbrew.org :Gitbrew
    [Mathieulh] is a Deus on Gitbrew
    [Mathieulh] is logged in as Mathieulh
    [Mathieulh] is using a secure connection
    [Mathieulh] idle 00:02:07, signon: Tue Aug 30 13:52:59
    [Mathieulh] End of WHOIS list.

OedipusRSX PS3 RSX Reality Synthesizer Documentation Surfaces

More PlayStation 3 News...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    i'm no expert but my friends say the ps3 is obsolete and outdated. i see there pc game graphics and i see why they say that. the 7800 nvidia was good in its day but even my old pc has better graphics card than that... but i still like my ps3 and thanks for this info..

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Well elser1, you don't need to be an expert to know that it is obsolete. The fact is by the time the PS3 was released it was already outdone, it wasn't a full 7800 GTX, it was a crippled version. Supposedly the original PS3 design had no GPU, it used two Cells instead, I don't know if that was just a rumour or a fact. The RSX is outpowered by several generations... the 7000 generation itself which it's a part of, 8000, 9000, GTX 200, GTX 400, GTX 500 and soon GTX 600. Before the PS4 is released there will likely be a GTX 700 series.

For what it's worth the 8000 and 9000 series are the exact same technology and the GTX 400 and 500 series are almost identical in architecture. But the fact of the matter is that it was too weak right off the bat which is ridiculous for something that is supposedly designed to last many years.

At this point the RSX is so old and alien compared to modern GPUs that it's not comparable at all, it comes nowhere near even scratching the surface of how powerful modern ones are. Just look at how hard the engineering team of RAGE has to work and struggle to make RAGE pretty much the only game out there on the PS3 which has both nice graphics and runs at 60 frames a second. It's incredible stress on the developers being limited so much.

Anyway, that's why I believe it's not possible for Sony to delay the PS4 until 2016 as they keep saying they'll do. At latest it will have to be 2013, which in my opinion is already years late.
    Last edited by Neo Cyrus; 08-09-2011 at 01:16 AM

yeah i agree i think the ps4 should be released by mid 2012 myself.what would be nice is if you can get a plug in upgrade/adapter for ps3 to make it more powerful.. but i'm not sure if its possible.. i remember seeing something about it being patented by sony here 3 or 4 months ago.. would be good as i have a few 60gig consoles to sell.. LOL

i agree totally also mate but last time i said ps3 was outdated etc i got flamed at.. LOL
    Last edited by elser1; 08-09-2011 at 02:59 AM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Upgrading the PS3 is theoretically possible of course but it really wouldn't be viable at all. Not only would be it overcomplicated and cost too much to make sense but it just wouldn't be worth doing considering realistically the old hardware would only be a tiny fraction of the processing power necessary.

That's also ignoring the fact that the old hardware isn't going to last that long. It'd be dandy if all of the PS3s lasted 20 years but the fact is a lot of them broke down after 2, which is partially because the average Joe doesn't know that it is essentially a computer that needs maintenance... the dust needs to be cleaned out, the original thermal compound needs to be replaced, you can't throw it in a volcano and still expect it to work, etc. That aside it's upsetting and actually disturbing to see how much Sony stinged out on quality.

They practically used mud for thermal paste, the heatsink's finish actually greatly interferes with contact (oddly enough) and the heatsink itself might as well have been replaced with a rock... it's made of extremely low quality material. I'm not sure about modern PS3s but the fat ones I've seen the inside of didn't even use solid state capacitors, they used the "1 cent for 20 billion" electrolytic capacitors made in Taiwan which are notorious for having massive amounts of batches in the 2000s which literally blew up after a few months of use. I personally experienced that with several motherboards.

What I've always hoped for is that the next generation of consoles would stop using alien mumbo jumbo and switch to a standard x86-64 architecture for the purpose of interfacing with a standard PC to use that as an "upgrade". That way those who don't care about graphics can have their 720p at 30 frames and be happy about it and those of us who do care can use the PCs we likely already have.
    Last edited by Neo Cyrus; 08-09-2011 at 03:42 AM

Smile

There are also some more info's about the GPU, which I like to post to this article.

The RSX is a graphical processor unit (GPU) based off of the nVidia 7800GTX graphics processor, and is a G70/G71 hybrid with some modifications. The RSX has separate vertex and pixel shader pipelines.

The following is a small sample of serial numbers of the RSX by model number.

The following are relevant facts about the RSX

• Little Endian
    • 8 vertex shaders at 500Mhz
    • 28 pixel shaders (4 redundant, 24 active) at 550Mhz
    • 28 texture units (4 redundant, 24 active)
    • 8 Raster Operations Pipeline units (ROPs)
    • Includes 256MB GDDR3 650Mhz clocked graphics memory
    • Earlier PS3 Models: Samsung K4J52324QC-SC14 rated at 700Mhz
    • Later PS3 Models: Qimonda HYB18H512322AF-14
    • GDDR3 Memory interface bus width: 128bit
    • Rambus XDR Memory interface bus width: 56bit out of 64bit (serial)

More features are revealed in the following chart delineating the differences between the RSX and the nVidia 7800 GTX.

Other RSX features/differences include:

• More shader instructions
      • Extra texture lookup logic (helps RSX transport data from XDR)
      • Fast vector normalize

Note that the cache (Post Transform and Lighting Vertext Cache) is located between the vector shader and the triangle setup.

A sample flow of data inside the RSX would see them first processed by 8 vertex shaders. The output are then sent to the 24 active pixel shaders, which can involve the 24 active texture units. Finally, the data is passed to the 8 Raster Operation Pipeline units (ROPs), and on out to the GDDR3. Note that the pixel shaders are grouped into groups of four (called Quads). There are 7 Quads, with 1 redundant, leaving 6 Quads active, which provides us with the 24 active pixel shaders listed above (6 times 4 equals 24). Since each Quad has 96kB of L1 and L2 cache, the total RSX texture cache is 576kB. General RSX features include 2x and 4x hardware anti-aliasing, and support for Shader Model 3.0.

Although the RSX has 256MB of GDDR3 RAM, not all of it is useable. The last 4MB is reserved for keeping track of the RSX internal state and issued commands. The 4MB of GPU Data contains RAMIN, RAMHT, RAMFC, DMA Objects, Graphic Objects, and the Graphic Context. The following is a breakdown of the address within 256MB of the RSX.

RSX Libraries

The RSX is dedicated to 3D graphics, and developers are able to use different API libraries to access its features. The easiest way is to use high level PSGL, which is basicially OpenGL|ES with programmable pipeline added in. At a lower level developers can use LibGCM, which is an API that talks to the RSX at a lower level. PSGL is actually implemented on top of LibGCM. For the advanced programmer, you can program the RSX by sending commands to it directly using C or assembly. This can be done by setting up commands (via FIFO Context) and DMA Objects and issuing them to the RSX via DMA calls.
    Attached Thumbnails<br><br> Attached Thumbnails

ps3rsxnvidia.png   ps3rsxsn.png   ps3rsxranges.png  

Quote Originally Posted by elser1 View Post
    i'm no expert but my friends say the ps3 is obsolete and outdated. i see there pc game graphics and i see why they say that. the 7800 nvidia was good in its day but even my old pc has better graphics card than that... but i still like my ps3 and thanks for this info..
    $ony's 10 year system is a big flop.

Please pardon my ignorance here, but would this allow allow for improvements to the existing emulators & possibly new ones incl N64, PS1/PS2, Dreamcast, Sega Saturn etc and perhaps more sophisticated & graphically complex homebrew..?

Would it also enable HW acceleration of HD video playback..?

Thanks.

Banned User
    Idk, you should ask the devs about it... someone who's made Homebrew Emulators (or ports) in the past probably knows the answer to that.

oVERSoLDiER: Would you mind sharing the place were you copy/paste this information from

Thanks
    Last edited by xaxaxe; 08-10-2011 at 04:13 PM

Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS3 Downloads - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2014 PlayStation 3 News